**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Mar 29, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #2,566 of 3,203
  So I dont know if you remember me saying that the 7520 bass has the most resolution around its price. Well the pro can rival it but the 3.2 is already close. The pro is tighter and faster without the same midbass hump. The mids on the Pro are ill effected by the bass. The soundstage and better imaging helps its focus. But for bass heavy music the 7520 (from memory now) may have the same thump but I find the better. If you prefer the bass qty of the Spirit Pro over the 7520 then the MD pro may be a little much for you cause it def has more than the Spirit Pro. 

Thanks for helping me navigate this. The 7520 indeed has excellent bass. But I agree about the midbass hump, and that is what I found unforgiveable... I actually love good bass. I love slam and thump and detail. But I hate bleed and bloat. Some albums can handle that kind of thing, but it just makes a mess of classical strings. I don't mind more bass than the FSP...as long as everything is well delineated. I'm tempted to try the Mad Dog Pro. 

Mar 29, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #2,568 of 3,203
After a slight cold, I'm finally back to listening to the MDP. Them came tuned with two dots on each drivers but no disk. Now with one disk in each side, they are as close to perfect for my preference as you could want. 

I actually enjoy the signature on these my than the AD. The bass has more punch and they are a little darker. I haven't heard the AD with the doggie treat kit though. 

Mar 29, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #2,569 of 3,203
  After a slight cold, I'm finally back to listening to the MDP. Them came tuned with two dots on each drivers but no disk. Now with one disk in each side, they are as close to perfect for my preference as you could want. 

I actually enjoy the signature on these my than the AD. The bass has more punch and they are a little darker. I haven't heard the AD with the doggie treat kit though. 

I'm reading about dots and disks. What are those and what are the differences between them?
See also https://mrspeakers.com/product/doggie-treats-tweaking-kit/ where I don't understand a thing what he is talking about.
Due to me not having English as a native tongue.
Can someone explain?

Mar 29, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #2,570 of 3,203

https://mrspeakers.com/product/doggie-treats-tweaking-kit/

It's a tuning kit we developed to "roll" the upper mids and highs.  There are BlueMonkeyDots (thanks to BMF for the assist in creating those!) and felt discs.  The dots smooth the treble and the discs reduce the output above 4K but 1dB/disc.

This explanation seems pretty simple. The idea is that if you find any of the Mr. Speakers hp's peaky or bright, the kit will tame the treble slightly and make the experience more enjoyable. 

Mar 29, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #2,571 of 3,203

This explanation seems pretty simple. The idea is that if you find any of the Mr. Speakers hp's peaky or bright, the kit will tame the treble slightly and make the experience more enjoyable. 

No, it does not to me.
What is this kit? In other words, what are those dots and disks. I do understand what it does, not what it is. What is a dot, how does ik look like, what material?

Mar 29, 2014 at 9:21 AM Post #2,572 of 3,203
It's simply a synthetic rubberized material. The disk are made of a medium grade felt. See here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osQuY3_mKSo

Mar 29, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #2,574 of 3,203
  It's simply a synthetic rubberized material. The disk are made of a medium grade felt. See here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osQuY3_mKSo

Now it make sense. Thank you!

Mar 30, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #2,575 of 3,203
just a quick question about the kits, can this be diy thing, I mean if I buy the same material and would that not spare me a few bucks.

Don't get me wrong I love my Mr Speakers as is, but as usual I would like to experiment

Mar 30, 2014 at 6:53 AM Post #2,576 of 3,203
There are several very informative threads here for those who would rather make a diy version of the t50rp. Mr. Speakers does not offer such. 

Mar 30, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #2,577 of 3,203
  There are several very informative threads here for those who would rather make a diy version of the t50rp. Mr. Speakers does not offer such. 

I think he was talking about the "Doggie Treats", discs and dots in particular. DIY options for these seem appealing since they're easy ways to fine-tune the sound of a Mad Dog.

Mar 30, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #2,579 of 3,203
Darn it, I thought the discount on the upgrade to Pro was good through the end of the month :frowning2:

Although the price now makes it even less enticing, I'm not getting a feel for just how much better the Pro sounds over the 3.2 that I've got. I know it's subjective and we're getting into diminishing returns territory, but I'm teetering on whether or not to send mine in for an upgrade. Discounting the cost of the cable and shipping, is the upgrade worth another $100 if I'm otherwise very happy with my 3.2s? The wider soundstage is what would sell me, if anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back