**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Mar 28, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #2,551 of 3,203
A reminder that the Pro and Pro upgrade's intro pricing expires at the end of this month.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 28, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #2,552 of 3,203
Hey all. From reading reviews, I'm confused whether the Pro has more quantity and quality of bass than the 3.2 or only more quality. I get the impression its really about quality, which is good for me because I'm fine with the quantity of bass of the 3.2 Does anyone still have both? Can anyone do a comparison of something that highlights cello and tell me which they like more? 

Mar 28, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #2,553 of 3,203
  Hey all. From reading reviews, I'm confused whether the Pro has more quantity and quality of bass than the 3.2 or only more quality. I get the impression its really about quality, which is good for me because I'm fine with the quantity of bass of the 3.2 Does anyone still have both? Can anyone do a comparison of something that highlights cello and tell me which they like more? 

It has better quality and similar quantity but the fact that the bass has a little more room around it and is cleaner would lead to a more accurate punch/kick. So in short not more quantity but more quality. But definitely not less quantity. 

I recently sold the MD 3.2 after comparing them. I did have a track with a cello and the MD pro bass is very similar just a little faster. You will like the overall sound of the Pro better. Being that they have the same balance you will enjoy them with the same exact songs but the pro will slightly outperform the 3.2 as it is also a little less grainy.

Mar 28, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #2,554 of 3,203
  I added one disk to each cup yesterday and I really love the treble now on the MDP. There are two dots/pads on each driver. I didn't really get less treble but "smoothed" treble. Puts the this frequency in the perfect spot for me. 

Did you order the doggie treats separate? The reason I ask is my MDP came with 2 dots on each channel and a disk on the left.

Mar 28, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #2,555 of 3,203
  Did you order the doggie treats separate? The reason I ask is my MDP came with 2 dots on each channel and a disk on the left.

Sometimes we use the discs to match the drivers.  If you get an asymmetric unit it was because there was a small offset in the channels.  You can add treats if you want a darker sound but make sure to keep that +1 on one side. 

There are occasional units that may also go out with different material than the stock treat, which again is designed to get a phone as close as possible to our target curve.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Mar 28, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #2,556 of 3,203

Sometimes we use the discs to match the drivers.  If you get an asymmetric unit it was because there was a small offset in the channels.  You can add treats if you want a darker sound but make sure to keep that +1 on one side. 

There are occasional units that may also go out with different material than the stock treat, which again is designed to get a phone as close as possible to our target curve.
what's this doggie treat business I'm reading?? Can't find any info but it seems interesting!

Mar 28, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #2,557 of 3,203
what's this doggie treat business I'm reading?? Can't find any info but it seems interesting!

https://mrspeakers.com/product/doggie-treats-tweaking-kit/

It's a tuning kit we developed to "roll" the upper mids and highs.  There are BlueMonkeyDots (thanks to BMF for the assist in creating those!) and felt discs.  The dots smooth the treble and the discs reduce the output above 4K but 1dB/disc.

Mar 28, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #2,558 of 3,203

https://mrspeakers.com/product/doggie-treats-tweaking-kit/

It's a tuning kit we developed to "roll" the upper mids and highs.  There are BlueMonkeyDots (thanks to BMF for the assist in creating those!) and felt discs.  The dots smooth the treble and the discs reduce the output above 4K but 1dB/disc.
oh man those are really cool!! Glad to see your company expanding in many awesome ways! Keep up that good work Dan! :)

Mar 28, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #2,559 of 3,203
  It has better quality and similar quantity but the fact that the bass has a little more room around it and is cleaner would lead to a more accurate punch/kick. So in short not more quantity but more quality. But definitely not less quantity. 

I recently sold the MD 3.2 after comparing them. I did have a track with a cello and the MD pro bass is very similar just a little faster. You will like the overall sound of the Pro better. Being that they have the same balance you will enjoy them with the same exact songs but the pro will slightly outperform the 3.2 as it is also a little less grainy.

Thanks for the comparison, grizzlybeast! So...how does the bass compare to the MDR7520, from memory? I know you'd be a great person to ask on that one. 

Mar 28, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #2,560 of 3,203

Thanks for the comparison, grizzlybeast! So...how does the bass compare to the MDR7520, from memory? I know you'd be a great person to ask on that one. 

Sony MDR 7520 are totally different headphones. I wish I could have headphones which sound like 7520 but have isolation of Alpha Dogs. Right now I'm using 7520 as portable driven by RWAK100.
I will attend NYC meet next Saturday so will try to compare 7520 with MDP

Mar 28, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #2,561 of 3,203
Mr speakers, Man I love the Mad dogs the sound is so awesome, I am really enjoying it so much. I am again sorry for all the words I said against the issue i posted. The sound man is so so so so so so so awesome 

Mar 28, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #2,562 of 3,203
Hoping to get my upgraded Mad Dog Pros tomorrow! After a couple of weeks without them I am ready to get some serious listening in. Based on the reviews so far it seems like I made the right decision to get the upgrade.

I'll report back after I've had some time to listen to them.

Mar 28, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #2,563 of 3,203
  Mr speakers, Man I love the Mad dogs the sound is so awesome, I am really enjoying it so much. I am again sorry for all the words I said against the issue i posted. The sound man is so so so so so so so awesome 

So glad you enjoy them!  Have a great weekend!

beerchug.gif

Mar 28, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #2,565 of 3,203

So I dont know if you remember me saying that the 7520 bass has the most resolution around its price. Well the pro can rival it but the 3.2 is already close. The pro is tighter and faster without the same midbass hump. The mids on the Pro are ill effected by the bass. The soundstage and better imaging helps its focus. But for bass heavy music the 7520 (from memory now) may have the same thump but I find the better. If you prefer the bass qty of the Spirit Pro over the 7520 then the MD pro may be a little much for you cause it def has more than the Spirit Pro. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back