**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Mar 7, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #2,341 of 3,203
I had just ordered a pair of Universal Mad Dogs last week (I was told that they had been shipped out last week Monday), but it turns out that Dan held the order and upgraded the phones to the Mad Dog Pros. I am extremely happy with Mr. Speaker's customer service... I was not expecting such a nice treat. Unfortunately, I haven't heard the original Mad Dogs for a comparison, but the sound stage on these is much more expansive than I was expecting from the Mad Dog 3.2s. On top of that, the bass is just as warm as I was expecting, while being quite fast and articulate in the details. Listening to Buddha Bar now, and having a blast!

Thank you very much Dan!

Mar 7, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #2,344 of 3,203
  What specifically about the Alpha Dog baffle contributes to the more articulate sound in the MD Pro?

The rigidity and inertness of the baffle is one major aspect to this.  It's just a more stable platform for the driver, without the resonances.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 7, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #2,345 of 3,203
I've had my mad dogs for a month now and have been very happy since (especially with friend and Co worker impressions). The pro version sounds perfect but how long will i be without these cans would you say?

Mar 8, 2014 at 7:35 AM Post #2,348 of 3,203
Just got notification that my MDP has shipped!! That was quick, thanks Dan. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 8, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #2,350 of 3,203
Looking forward to comparisons between the regular 3.2s and the Pros! If it keeps everything the same but boosts subbass and impact, color me extremely interested...

Mar 8, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #2,352 of 3,203

I may offend others saying it here but there's a reason I kept the HE500s.

Would you mind PM'ing me the reason why you like Mad Dogs over HE-500 or vice-versa ? Strengths and weaknesses !
Thanks !

I recently was able to borrow a pair of HE-500s to audition in my setup, and I found the Alpha Dogs to be better in most aspects of sound quality.  The HE-500 has a smooth, even quality, with a little better "micro-detail" than the Alpha Dog, but the Alpha Dog was better in every other aspect, most notably soundstage, instrumental timbre, and bass quality.  Surprisingly, the closed Alpha Dog is more "open" sounding than the open HE-500.

The Mad Dog 3.2 has a more "fun" sound signature than the HE-500, with a fuller bass response, which I personally prefer for EDM.  The soundstage of the Mad Dog is about equal to the HE-500 (and although I have not heard it, if the MD Pro has a soundstage that is partway between the MD and the AD, then the MD Pro soundstage is likely to be a little better than the HE-500).

The instrumental timbre on all the Mad Dog and Alpha Dog products is better than either the HE-400 or the HE-500.  (The bass and soundstage on the HE-400 is actually better than that of the HE-500, although the HE-500 is flatter, more natural and clearer sounding than the HE-400.)

This is in my system with my amps.  My reference points tend to be acoustic music recordings, although I also use electronic, EDM and rock recordings.

Mar 9, 2014 at 3:26 AM Post #2,354 of 3,203
  I recently was able to borrow a pair of HE-500s to audition in my setup, and I found the Alpha Dogs to be better in most aspects of sound quality.  The HE-500 has a smooth, even quality, with a little better "micro-detail" than the Alpha Dog, but the Alpha Dog was better in every other aspect, most notably soundstage, instrumental timbre, and bass quality.  Surprisingly, the closed Alpha Dog is more "open" sounding than the open HE-500.

The Mad Dog 3.2 has a more "fun" sound signature than the HE-500, with a fuller bass response, which I personally prefer for EDM.  The soundstage of the Mad Dog is about equal to the HE-500 (and although I have not heard it, if the MD Pro has a soundstage that is partway between the MD and the AD, then the MD Pro soundstage is likely to be a little better than the HE-500).

The instrumental timbre on all the Mad Dog and Alpha Dog products is better than either the HE-400 or the HE-500.  (The bass and soundstage on the HE-400 is actually better than that of the HE-500, although the HE-500 is flatter, more natural and clearer sounding than the HE-400.)

This is in my system with my amps.  My reference points tend to be acoustic music recordings, although I also use electronic, EDM and rock recordings.

Something must be really wrong with your HE-500.

Mar 9, 2014 at 6:04 AM Post #2,355 of 3,203
I agree something must be wrong with those HE500s. I can't say much about the Alpha Dogs since I;ve never heard them but there's no way the mad dogs have a fuller bass response or sound stage being equal to the HE500s. I lived with both for such a long period

Users who are viewing this thread

Back