**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Mar 6, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #2,326 of 3,203
  So I just got my Mad Dogs in, and I was really hoping they wouldn't sound good, so I don't keep them... but apparently the hype is not unsubstantiated. Drats. They're much much better than I expected, after my previous experience with T50RPs, other mods and DIY thunderpants.

While I'm here, is there a recommended method for bending the brass sliders? I need to bring the bottoms of the cups closer together so they fit the shape of my head when extended to size.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHtaO5zRAAE

I think that's what you're looking to do.

Mar 6, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #2,328 of 3,203
That definitely helped, before if I tilted my head to the side I'd lose some of the seal since the cups were individually pretty heavy.  It's really weird how the sound doesn't change much even with the loss of seal, though. Planar tech at work, I guess?

Anyway I was looking for something more along the lines of bending the brass sliders themselves, to make them more of a... C instead of ( shape. I don't want to break anything since I literally just got them in the mail today.

Mar 7, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #2,330 of 3,203
That definitely helped, before if I tilted my head to the side I'd lose some of the seal since the cups were individually pretty heavy.  It's really weird how the sound doesn't change much even with the loss of seal, though. Planar tech at work, I guess?

Anyway I was looking for something more along the lines of bending the brass sliders themselves, to make them more of a... C instead of ( shape. I don't want to break anything since I literally just got them in the mail today.

Do not try to bend he risers. That would be bad.

Instead, just bend the headband further toward the outside, you can really change the geometry of the band and get the pads to lay well if you experiment. I believe that there is only a very little geometry you could attain with the riser that you can't with the band,

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 7, 2014 at 5:37 AM Post #2,333 of 3,203

Nice !!! Can you post some impression for TH600 vs Mad Dogs vs HE-500 ? Thanks in advance buddy.

I haven't got my mad dogs anymore for direct comparison but I'll try from memory. The impression is kind of against each other so it may sound slightly exaggerated. Sorry if I offend anyone, this is just IMO.

The highs of the TH600s extend way way further than the mad dogs, and on some tracks it may sound almost sibilant. Theres alot of energy in the highs of the TH600 and the cymbals sound very alive. The mad dogs highs sound relatively rolled off in comparison. The mids of the mad dogs are a bit more forward than the TH600s and I don't know how to explain it but to me sounds quite a a bit thicker. The TH600s mids sound OK on their own and you get used to it once you've had it on your ear for a while but in comparison, the mad dogs have a meatier mid (this is not that relevant when listening to EDM, as the mids aren't affected as much and you don't notice it so much when there aren't any vocals). The bass is where the TH600s has it all over the Mad Dogs. The bass extension, the bass quanity, the bass texture (in both sub and mid-bass) is the best I've ever heard. It may be a bit coloured and anything but neutral, but those drivers and magnesium alloy cans sure give the TH600 something special in the way of bass, and there is absolutely no bleeding of the bass into the mids, theres so much separation. The mad dogs in comparison sounds feeble in the way it presents bass, it's missing the slam and extension I'm after when listening to EDM.

In comparison, if the Mad dogs are a flat neutral can, the TH600 is a U shape with extended highs and bass, and a somewhat thin mid section.

Other things: The soundstage of the TH600 is so wide and unbelievable for a closed can, its at least twice as wide as the mad dogs and wider than my HD600 and HE500s which are open.
The Mad Dogs are more comfy than the TH600s, although the TH600s aren't that uncomfortable, the mad dogs are probably the most comfortable cans I've ever tried. The mad dogs isolate better than the TH600s and although the TH600s are closed, they do not isolate nearly as well. They donn't leak sound, but you can hear things around you almost like an open can. 

In listening to EDM, the mad dogs sound like something is missing when compared to the TH600s, the TH600s presents the music with so much energy that it makes the mad dogs sound quite dark and lifeless. But I have to say that the mad dogs is a can that takes getting use to as well (when I first got them, I though they were broken - coming from HE500s). It takes a while to get over how dark it is, and once you do, it can sound pretty special especially for other genres like rock and vocals stuff. I'd say the mad dogs are better for anything else that's non-EDM. Since I listen mainly to EDM the TH600s seem like they are made for me. It was a tough decision letting go of my mad dogs but I had to since they weren't getting nearly enough time on my head.

Mar 7, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #2,335 of 3,203
  I haven't got my mad dogs anymore for direct comparison but I'll try from memory. The impression is kind of against each other so it may sound slightly exaggerated. Sorry if I offend anyone, this is just IMO.

The highs of the TH600s extend way way further than the mad dogs, and on some tracks it may sound almost sibilant. Theres alot of energy in the highs of the TH600 and the cymbals sound very alive. The mad dogs highs sound relatively rolled off in comparison. The mids of the mad dogs are a bit more forward than the TH600s and I don't know how to explain it but to me sounds quite a a bit thicker. The TH600s mids sound OK on their own and you get used to it once you've had it on your ear for a while but in comparison, the mad dogs have a meatier mid (this is not that relevant when listening to EDM, as the mids aren't affected as much and you don't notice it so much when there aren't any vocals). The bass is where the TH600s has it all over the Mad Dogs. The bass extension, the bass quanity, the bass texture (in both sub and mid-bass) is the best I've ever heard. It may be a bit coloured and anything but neutral, but those drivers and magnesium alloy cans sure give the TH600 something special in the way of bass, and there is absolutely no bleeding of the bass into the mids, theres so much separation. The mad dogs in comparison sounds feeble in the way it presents bass, it's missing the slam and extension I'm after when listening to EDM.

In comparison, if the Mad dogs are a flat neutral can, the TH600 is a U shape with extended highs and bass, and a somewhat thin mid section.

Other things: The soundstage of the TH600 is so wide and unbelievable for a closed can, its at least twice as wide as the mad dogs and wider than my HD600 and HE500s which are open.
The Mad Dogs are more comfy than the TH600s, although the TH600s aren't that uncomfortable, the mad dogs are probably the most comfortable cans I've ever tried. The mad dogs isolate better than the TH600s and although the TH600s are closed, they do not isolate nearly as well. They donn't leak sound, but you can hear things around you almost like an open can. 

In listening to EDM, the mad dogs sound like something is missing when compared to the TH600s, the TH600s presents the music with so much energy that it makes the mad dogs sound quite dark and lifeless. But I have to say that the mad dogs is a can that takes getting use to as well (when I first got them, I though they were broken - coming from HE500s). It takes a while to get over how dark it is, and once you do, it can sound pretty special especially for other genres like rock and vocals stuff. I'd say the mad dogs are better for anything else that's non-EDM. Since I listen mainly to EDM the TH600s seem like they are made for me. It was a tough decision letting go of my mad dogs but I had to since they weren't getting nearly enough time on my head.

So for non-EDM, vocal oriented music, The Mad Dog is better than the TH-600. OK ! But is the Mad Dog better than HE-500 also ?

Mar 7, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #2,338 of 3,203

So for non-EDM, vocal oriented music, The Mad Dog is better than the TH-600. OK ! But is the Mad Dog better than HE-500 also ?

No, in the planar world (sorry W3000s), nothing is better than the HE-500 for vocals.
Technically, the HE-500 is better than the MDs on all accounts. You need to look at the Alpha Dogs to punch in the same category.

The Mad Dogs are relaxing and seductive. It can take a while to adapt to its sound signature (coming from a HE-500 in my case) but there's something reassuring about its sound that just feels great.
And it is the most comfy cans I've ever worn, bare none.

Mar 7, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #2,339 of 3,203

I may offend others saying it here but there's a reason I kept the HE500s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back