**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Feb 14, 2014 at 3:38 AM Post #2,268 of 3,203

Quite good for me. The MD is able to "handle" extra bass and keep the texture without blooming too much and getting out of control. Some hp's that are heavily bass colored get very loose with music that is also bass heavy. 

Do these hit hard with the bass? Because I want hard hitting bass, with forward, airy mids and relaxing highs.

Feb 14, 2014 at 7:35 AM Post #2,269 of 3,203
They are considered somewhat warm and a touch dark, good mids. I find that bass very good, but while I do listen to rap and EDM, it's not often. If you are looking for a hp that jacks up the bass on all recordings with visceral impact, the MD is probably not for you. 

Feb 14, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #2,270 of 3,203

Quite good for me. The MD is able to "handle" extra bass and keep the texture without blooming too much and getting out of control. Some hp's that are heavily bass colored get very loose with music that is also bass heavy. 

Do these hit hard with the bass? Because I want hard hitting bass, with forward, airy mids and relaxing highs.

Let me see if I can explain this, which is essentially non-verbal
smily_headphones1.gif

"air" comes from the highs, not from the midrange.   Of course, then instruments with midrange then are heard together with "air", so the instrument have "air", but it is not due to the midrange.

Mad Dogs have good bass slam, but not great (Alpha Dogs are better in that regard).  Midrange is forward, largely because the soundstage is shallow, as is true on most closed headphones.  I would say yes to "relaxing highs", meaning not shrill.

But... not very airy, again due to being closed headphones.

Mad Dogs have very good instrumental timbre and clarity.

Feb 14, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #2,271 of 3,203
I have had my Mad Dogs for about 1 month now and I really like them! First off, I should say that the setup I came from before the Mad Dogs were the ATH-M50s with a Fiio EO7k dac/amp. With the Mad Dog purchase I also picked up a Modi/Magni stack. 

Rather then describing the sound of the Mad Dogs in absolute terms, for me it makes sense to compare the sound to the M50s. I now understand why people describe the M50s as V-shaped. I thought the m50s sounded flat until I heard the Mad Dogs. Now when I switch back to the M50s from the Mad Dogs I notice the increased bass and treble and the dip in the mid-range. So the bass is more pronounced on the M50s, but I like the bass on the Mad Dogs, especially the deep bass (sub-bass?). The bass is just better defined and more nuanced in my opinion when compared to the M50s. It's also nice to have a more forward mid-range with the Mad Dogs.

The Mad Dogs are also retrieving more details in the music I listen to. I had a similar experience when going from apple earbuds/computer speakers to the M50s. I think there is better instrument separation and vocalist/instrument separation compared to the m50s. It's fun to re-listen to all of my music just to see what new things are revealed!

Thanks Dan for making a great product and for your great customer service! Keep up the good work. I'm already dreaming of upgrading to the Alpha Dogs someday...

I haven't posted much on Head-fi, but I've received a lot of great advice through reading the forums and so I thought I'd give back a little by sharing my impressions of these HPs as well. Cheers. 

Feb 17, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #2,273 of 3,203
Just got the MadDog today at SF Bay Area meet and I am in love with the sound. I am using it with FiiO E10 and it drives the MD quite well (will upgrade for better amp/DAC later). 

Feb 19, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #2,275 of 3,203
I just went to the Head-Fi meetup in SF and picked up the last pair and I'm pretty excited. I wich I could have picked up a Vali/Modi stack from the Schiit guys while there but the ATM only had a $200 limit, so I've got it on order and should be here by the weekend. Quick question about the MD's packaging. I read that it was suppose to come with 3.5 mm cables and a leather strap, but mine only had the 6.5 mm cable and no strap, should mines have come with those 2 items?

Feb 19, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #2,276 of 3,203
  I just went to the Head-Fi meetup in SF and picked up the last pair and I'm pretty excited. I wich I could have picked up a Vali/Modi stack from the Schiit guys while there but the ATM only had a $200 limit, so I've got it on order and should be here by the weekend. Quick question about the MD's packaging. I read that it was suppose to come with 3.5 mm cables and a leather strap, but mine only had the 6.5 mm cable and no strap, should mines have come with those 2 items?

The strap should be already mounted on the headband.

The 3.5mm cable is a short silvery cable.

Feb 19, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #2,278 of 3,203
The 3.5mm cable can be in different colors, not just silver. (black is the other most common color with the Mad Dogs, but the color varies depending on available stock)

The cable ends should look similar to the image in the link below.

http://www.head-fi.org/content/type/61/id/694394/

Feb 19, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #2,280 of 3,203
  The 3.5mm cable can be in different colors, not just silver. (black is the other most common color with the Mad Dogs, but the color varies depending on available stock)

The cable ends should look similar to the image in the link below.

http://www.head-fi.org/content/type/61/id/694394/

Is this 3.5mm cable something that Dan makes himself, or can it be purchased separately?  I really like that cable that came with my Mad Dogs, and I'd love to know where I can purchase different sizes and colors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back