**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Dec 26, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #2,087 of 3,203
  You could consider the Vali, if you're ok with the little bit of microphonics from the tube.

Was looking at that this morning, schiit says you will get a bit of small noise after pluggin in your headphones. he also mentions they take a while to go away..so that will be a slight problem when not playing music. But what are the main benefits over the magni? will drawbacks like less maximum power and higher output impedance for mad dogs cause anything?
Edit: reading more and heard it did not have much bass, hope the magni/vali will give it a slight bass improvement

Dec 26, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #2,088 of 3,203
If you like a more "organic" sound the Vali is the ticket.  To me it is just a more fun, more relaxed listen for most genres, but particularly acoustic.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 26, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #2,089 of 3,203
Microphonics are either absent or so inaudible as to not bother me once I get music/sound playing. I actually use the Vali + Mad Dogs as my gaming setup, and I've been playing Arkham Origins (Steam sales ftw!) for about 10 hours this week with no issue of microphonics.

In fact, no issue of comfort or sound fatigue either. I suspect the Vali helps avoid treble spikes (in any headphone), so that's great. Also haven't had issue with hearing character dialogue.

As for bass, there is plenty for me. You should know that I tend to prefer brighter signatures though; headphone history includes DT880, Westone UM1, JH13. So, apply that fwiw to your personal situation.

Dec 26, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #2,090 of 3,203
Oh, thank you for confirming the little-no noise for the microphonics. 
little question, what do you mean by brighter signatures?

I'll probably get the magni instead. My music isn't really relaxed lol. my music has some acoustics, but mainly orchestra's and techno remixes of the songs. Thank you both for the replies, appreciate it greatly!

Dec 26, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #2,091 of 3,203
"Bright" as in tending to emphasise higher frequencies. As opposed to "warm" which would emphasise slightly lower frequencies.
If you're not sure where you lean towards just yet, don't worry about it too much for now. You'll figure out your preferences in time.

Dec 27, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #2,092 of 3,203
The microphonics of the Vali vary from unit to unit.

Dec 27, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #2,093 of 3,203
In your opinion, Mad Dog v3.2 owners, what headphone's do you think comes close it (really similar headphone), but has more bass presence/bass colouration. Lately, I have been requiring more on the lower end but I am not sure if it something changed when I moved my Audio-gd NFB-28 setup from my home (windows 7) to school (Linux).

Dec 27, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #2,094 of 3,203
In your opinion, Mad Dog v3.2 owners, what headphone's do you think comes close it (really similar headphone), but has more bass presence/bass colouration. Lately, I have been requiring more on the lower end but I am not sure if it something changed when I moved my Audio-gd NFB-28 setup from my home (windows 7) to school (Linux).

In my opinion the denon d600 is very close with more bass presence, but i also find the treble more bright and somehow hurts.. i dont know should it change after a burn in or what

Dec 27, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #2,095 of 3,203

LCD2.2

Dec 28, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #2,097 of 3,203
That's a big price jump from the dogs o.o

Hey Dixon do the dogs have less than ample bass but you want more?
or do they just don't have bass (in your opinion)?

Well, in my opinion the bass on the mad dogs when amped is just awesome and very nice quality bass.

Also since the mad dogs need to be well driven, its somehow amp dependable, so with different amps you will experience different bass with some punchier and powerful than others, but in general i like the bass on the mad dogs too much.

Eac3 wants more bass, my brother had denon d600 and when i tried it, i felt it a bit more bassier but that doesnt mean the mad dogs dont have bass, they do !

Dec 28, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #2,098 of 3,203
Ahhh I see!
I'll order myself a magni. I don't know if I need a modi over my current motherboard onboard sound card which is a realtek ALC1150. It is said to be the best audio codec availible today. ehh even If I don't get the modi idk how to plug it into the motherboard(z87 Deluxe) lol

Dec 30, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #2,099 of 3,203
Hello all!

Recently I've been looking for a headphone that I could use while at home, and it seems the MD's are just what I need. It also appears these headphones would benefit greatly from additional power that a MacBook Pro or a cell phone simply cannot provide However, coming from a Sony MDR-XB700 and VSonic GR07, I have ZERO experience when it comes to amps/DAC's and all that, but you guys do 
smile.gif
. I plan on purchasing these headphones by themselves in the near future, and intend to buy the additional equipment necessary to really make them shine later on. Until then, I was wondering what good, budget setup would really open these up? Also, would any portable amps (such as FiiO) work?

Thanks!

Dec 30, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #2,100 of 3,203
I give you some choices. Of all the desktop amps, the best performing and least expensive of them all...a vintage receiver, period. Hands down, no contest. The old receivers from the 70's have some legitimate power and refinement. But they are not for everyone. The often need simple TLC to get back to good working order, but they can sometimes need much more...just depends on what your local CL might turn up. You could end up with a nice Pioneer sx receiver for $50 bucks that would rock the socks off the MD. 

Depending on your budget ( you should always list your budget when asking for suggestions 
wink.gif
) consider the following:

*Asgard 2

*Fiio e12

*Audio GD (they all have good clean power)

There is an entire thread dedicated to amp pairings with the MD. Just check under the full sized amp section here.

gL!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back