**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Aug 6, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #1,126 of 3,203
It was just a suggestion, based on the number of people who have mentioned using the Mad Dogs with the Emotiva or Vintage amps.

We'll see if any of those who are doing so, pop up to support the suggestion.   If not, then I might be off-base...

Aug 6, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #1,127 of 3,203
Quote:
It was just a suggestion, based on the number of people who have mentioned using the Mad Dogs with the Emotiva or Vintage amps.

We'll see if any of those who are doing so, pop up to support the suggestion.   If not, then I might be off-base...

Never hurts to ask. All for a better experience I say...I'm sure there are others chasing adapters like yourself.

Aug 7, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #1,128 of 3,203
I don't mind suggestions, I get my best ideas from the community.  But yes, of course our resources are limited so we have to pick and choose. As long as people understand that I am deeply appreciative of both the ideas, feedback (positive and negative) and support you all give.  

Thanks!

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Aug 7, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #1,129 of 3,203
I am starting to realize that some of the Vintage amplifiers already have pretty much the same connection already implemented in their 1/4" headphone jack (supposedly this is true for 70s Sansui gear), so there may be less interest than I thought in the four banana plug scenario.   (In other words, only those with a Power Amplifier would need it.)

Aug 7, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #1,130 of 3,203
An interesting read:

http://www.iavscanada.com/Articles/art_receiver_shootout.htm

:wink:

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #1,132 of 3,203
Quote:
I am starting to realize that some of the Vintage amplifiers already have pretty much the same connection already implemented in their 1/4" headphone jack (supposedly this is true for 70s Sansui gear), so there may be less interest than I thought in the four banana plug scenario.   (In other words, only those with a Power Amplifier would need it.)

Yes there were 1/4" jacks on the AU series Sansuis. Well the ones I tried anyway. Not sure if the headphone out is a separate power amp section to the speaker out taps though...

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #1,133 of 3,203
Quote:
Quote:

Yes there were 1/4" jacks on the AU series Sansuis. Well the ones I tried anyway. Not sure if the headphone out is a separate power amp section to the speaker out taps though...

Yes, a web search shows that those Sansui amps just connected the 1/4" jack to the power amp output with a few resistors.

Aug 8, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #1,135 of 3,203
I'm still thinking about ordering these headphones, I want to check before I do that I'll like the sound and comfort. If anyone can guide me that would be appreciated.

I like:
 - Audio Technica A900's - love the sound and comfort, but no longer available
 - Audzee LCD2 - great balanced detailed sound, good comfort
 - Sennheiser 650 - great balanced detailed sound, good comfort
 - Beats by Dr Dre - mostly because they were free samples, like the noise cancellation and the sound isn't too bad, comfortable enough

I dislike
 - A900X - poor 3D wing design that slips down my head, returned
 - Beyer 770 - too much bass, unbalanced sound
 - Senn 280 - to shrill, not enough bass, also break easily
 - Sony V700 - had them years ago, too much bass and horrible highs

I'll mostly be using them in an office so blocking noise would be helpful. Do y'all think the Mad Dogs would suit me?

Aug 8, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #1,136 of 3,203
Quote:
I'm still thinking about ordering these headphones, I want to check before I do that I'll like the sound and comfort. If anyone can guide me that would be appreciated.

I like:
 - Audio Technica A900's - love the sound and comfort, but no longer available
 - Audzee LCD2 - great balanced detailed sound, good comfort
 - Sennheiser 650 - great balanced detailed sound, good comfort
 - Beats by Dr Dre - mostly because they were free samples, like the noise cancellation and the sound isn't too bad, comfortable enough

I dislike
 - A900X - poor 3D wing design that slips down my head, returned
 - Beyer 770 - too much bass, unbalanced sound
 - Senn 280 - to shrill, not enough bass, also break easily
 - Sony V700 - had them years ago, too much bass and horrible highs

I'll mostly be using them in an office so blocking noise would be helpful. Do y'all think the Mad Dogs would suit me?

Yup, sounds like the MDs would fit the bill. The MDs are even more comfortable than the HD650 and LCD2, IMO. I haven't heard any of those headphones in a while, so I can't really compare them sonically.
As for isolation, the MDs do a superb job for having passive noise cancelling, but they can't beat a pair of IEMs for pure isolation.

Aug 8, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #1,137 of 3,203
Quote:
Yup, sounds like the MDs would fit the bill. The MDs are even more comfortable than the HD650 and LCD2, IMO. I haven't heard any of those headphones in a while, so I can't really compare them sonically.
As for isolation, the MDs do a superb job for having passive noise cancelling, but they can't beat a pair of IEMs for pure isolation.

Thanks MG. I'm sure the MD's are good and comfortable, I'd really love to hear if they're compatible with my sound signature tastes.

Aug 8, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #1,138 of 3,203
For short term comfort they are very comfortable, For longer sessions I find them annoying.

Really ?? In what aspect ? Comfort is such a subjective attribute that I can understand someone feeling totally different from how I do. That said, most opinions I've read suggest that these are the most comfortable phones on the the market.

Aug 8, 2013 at 2:41 AM Post #1,139 of 3,203
Quote:
For short term comfort they are very comfortable, For longer sessions I find them annoying.

You can always PM me to discuss fit.  I can usually solve comfort issues...   

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Aug 8, 2013 at 2:45 AM Post #1,140 of 3,203
It depends for me. Longer session tend to heat up my ears. I'm generally a hot-blooded person so YMMV. Although they are miles better at dispersing my heat than regular pleather pads.

I also find that if miss position them, I'll end up a little sore around the jaw and ears. It's not often, and it's usually because I have one adjuster longer or didn't adjust them adequately to start with.

I'm a comfort junkie and these are approximately an 8.75 out of 10 for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back