**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Sep 27, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #1,787 of 3,203

I have the universal connector on my Mad Dogs (so I have 1/4" and balanced) - 
but when I use them w/ the Hi-Fi-M8 I always use the 4-pin XLR (balanced) connector.

I found the sound so engaging I had to take it to my doctors appointment (shown
in the waiting room below):

and I played it for my doc too!  
I mention it in my review of the HiFi-M8 actually.

Mike,
Would you say there is a night & day difference in SQ with the 4-pin setup
What amp are you using on your desktop setup??

That M8 looks like a really nice amp

Sep 27, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #1,788 of 3,203
I've never really liked the Mad Dogs for portable use; I always thought the alpha pads were trying to strangle me when I had them around my neck.
Plus, they didn't isolate as well as decent IEMs and weren't very good for my flight when I tried them..

Sep 27, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #1,790 of 3,203
I use mine as a portable. They isolate better than some of my IEMs

Sep 28, 2013 at 4:07 AM Post #1,791 of 3,203
  I don't have much iem experience although I love my gr07's. But they don't isolate any better than the MD for me. 

What tips do you use for the GR07s? Some proper bi/tri flange tips can make the GR07s do a little bit better job isolating than the MD, but really you can't get really good isolation unless you have BA IEMs that don't have vents.

Sep 28, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #1,794 of 3,203

I have the universal connector on my Mad Dogs (so I have 1/4" and balanced) - 
but when I use them w/ the Hi-Fi-M8 I always use the 4-pin XLR (balanced) connector.

I found the sound so engaging I had to take it to my doctors appointment (shown
in the waiting room below):

and I played it for my doc too!  
I mention it in my review of the HiFi-M8 actually.

"I’m sure there are people who would tell you that it makes no difference whether you run your Mad Dogs balanced or 1/4″ out of the Hi-Fi-M8. I own and LOVE my Mad Dogs, and just used them with my HiFi-M8 on a recent trip down to Los Angeles. I was just posting about it at Head-Fi.org actually (so funny you should ask).
I ran both 1/4″ and balanced, and personally I preferred running my Mad Dogs balanced (4-pin XLR) out of the HiFi-M8. I’m listening to that match-up right now as I type this. After going back to the 1/4″, and then back to the 4-pin XLR (balanced) I find I get better separation, deeper dimensionality (space between instruments/sounds) and the bass response sounds more controlled, more rounded. The notes are easier to pick out. As a matter of fact I often find this to be true whenever I have a source that gives me the balanced option for my Mad Dogs. It’s a great combination btw. I also want to stress that listening through the 1/4″ is also a grand experience w/ the HiFi-M8, if that’s your only option you still get the sparkle factor from the CEntrance unit."

Thanks!

Oct 2, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #1,797 of 3,203
This is slightly off topic from this thread but is Michael Jackson wearing old school T50RPs in this video here? I need this to be answered before I can rest :p 

Oct 2, 2013 at 3:21 AM Post #1,798 of 3,203

and the CEntrance HiFi-M8 makes for an excellent mate with my Mad Dogs
(but don't wanna sound like a broken record, as I've said this before)

And just for the hell of it, my Mad Dogs 3.2 driven by the same M8 have the LCD2 vegan pads on them. I'm just experimenting as the Alpha Pads are a bit warm here in the tropics and not many ear pads can go onto the Mad Dogs due to the elliptical shape of the driver housing. Too early to say which sound I prefer but don't tell MrSpeakers' Dan!

Oct 2, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #1,799 of 3,203
  This is slightly off topic from this thread but is Michael Jackson wearing old school T50RPs in this video here? I need this to be answered before I can rest :p 

that looks like a silver headband, so maybe one of the other fostex headphones like the T40RP?

Oct 2, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #1,800 of 3,203
Yeah that sounds about right. I just thought the picture was interesting because of its nostalgia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back