**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Sep 8, 2013 at 4:29 AM Post #1,591 of 3,203
  I can confirm now that the CEntrance HIFI-M8 is a nice pairing with the MD's.  The HIFI-M8 must dump most of a watt into the things.  They respond very well.  

Is your MD universal?

I'm wondering if there is a comparison between "single-end MD + single-ended HiFi-M8" and  "balanced MD + balanced HiFi-M8".

Sep 8, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #1,592 of 3,203

Is your MD universal?

I'm wondering if there is a comparison between "single-end MD + single-ended HiFi-M8" and  "balanced MD + balanced HiFi-M8".

My MD's are balanced with the Mr. Speakers universal cable.  I do have a 4 pin to 1/4" adapter.  I haven't gotten around to the comparison, but I'm curious.  I forgot to bring the adapter to work today, or I'd try it out while I avoid productivity.

Sep 11, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #1,593 of 3,203
  Has anyone used the Audio-gd SA-31 with the Mad dogs? It seems like they provide alot more power compared to the other amps around the $500 pricerange. Pair it with a Bitfrost Uber and it seems like a good setup..

Thought I would ask this again, but perhaps differently.

Many say the Audio-gd products have a warm sound. I have seen here that it is recommended to pair a "bright" amp to the slightly dark Mad dogs. Then again, one forum member found the Audio-gd SA-31 to pair really well the Mad dogs. 

Coming from a Schiit stack and used a Fiio E10 this summer, do you guys predict what I can gain from a much more powerful (but considered warm) amp such as the Audio-gd SA-31SE?

Thanks.

Sep 11, 2013 at 3:41 AM Post #1,594 of 3,203

Thought I would ask this again, but perhaps differently.

Many say the Audio-gd products have a warm sound. I have seen here that it is recommended to pair a "bright" amp to the slightly dark Mad dogs. Then again, one forum member found the Audio-gd SA-31 to pair really well the Mad dogs. 

Coming from a Schiit stack and used a Fiio E10 this summer, do you guys predict what I can gain from a much more powerful (but considered warm) amp such as the Audio-gd SA-31SE?

Thanks.

I did try that combo with the Mad Dogs 3.0 (+ NFB-27 as a DAC) but it was still too dark for me and could not get rid of the congestion I hear on my pair.
I cannot speak for the 3.2, which, from the feedbacks, seems to improve on the areas where I found the 3.0 lacking.

Besides that, the sound was good with good dynamics and great control. Soundstage was deep and well defined and the whole made for a very easy listening.

I most likely will jump directly on the ADs and I'm selling my SA-31, so I won't be able to give any more input.

Sep 11, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #1,595 of 3,203

I did try that combo with the Mad Dogs 3.0 (+ NFB-27 as a DAC) but it was still too dark for me and could not get rid of the congestion I hear on my pair.
I cannot speak for the 3.2, which, from the feedbacks, seems to improve on the areas where I found the 3.0 lacking.

Besides that, the sound was good with good dynamics and great control. Soundstage was deep and well defined and the whole made for a very easy listening.

I most likely will jump directly on the ADs and I'm selling my SA-31, so I won't be able to give any more input.

Thanks. Will you not use an amp with the ADs?

Sep 11, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #1,597 of 3,203
I will most likely use the EF-6 with the ADs.
The EF-6 should work really well with the ADs. My Decware Mini Torii amp which works well with LCD-2 and HE-6, is excellent for the ADs and produces one of the most engaging sound I ever heard so far. Can't wait to upgrade to alpha dogs and see how much higher it can scale.

Sep 11, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #1,598 of 3,203

Sep 11, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #1,599 of 3,203
Just ordered a pair, definitely excited to replace my rattling DT770's with them! Just hope the bass doesn't underwhelm, but I have a feeling it won't. Bass on my DT770's is quite useless anyways with the rattle.

Sep 11, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #1,600 of 3,203
So,  

I got my Mad Dogs last night and had a listen to them on the train to work this morning through my iMod and e12.
What can I say, I was horribly horribly disappointed.
I was expecting a dark to warm sound and in my ears all I could hear was Sibilance, sharp treble and labored bass.
I was thinking, what have I done!?! I cant believe I was excited to be receiving these phones.
HOWEVER, I know headphones can take some time to find their sweet spot so I kept at it, listening to various genre's/volumes over the next hours train trip.

I then circled back to the original playlist for a comparison.
WOW... You wouldn't believe even after just 1 hour that these were the same phones!

The Sibilance was all but gone, the bass had started to loosen up (by loosen up I mean it was no longer labored, the bass its self was tight) and a more musical signature was presenting its self.

Now I am at work and using these phones with the AudioGD 15.32.  It just gets better.
Now I know some will say that the 15.32 and the MD's is going to be a horrible match, warm dac with a dark phone, but I actually quite like it.
Its musical, accurate and very easy to listen to for extended periods.

So coming from an initial impression that I had made a horrible mistake to now within hours loving these headphones I couldnt be happier.

Well until the AD comes out, at which point I will be sending these off for a trade up.

Scott

Sep 12, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #1,604 of 3,203
Sep 12, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #1,605 of 3,203
  Thanks - I wasn't sure if the MDs would fit in that model - had seen it before and it looks decent.

Too lazy to go back and look but there is a picture of them fitting inside this case uploaded by someone. Either in this thread or some other Mad Dog thread. I'm actually planning on getting this for the Alpha Dog.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back