MrSpeakers Ether Impressions Thread
Dec 11, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #2,161 of 2,843
i appreciate your advice,i use the ether with my yiggy/rag combo and my mojo/astell kern 120......no phone to lower volume....i just end up lowering the volume but it isnt my preferred situation

Dec 12, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #2,162 of 2,843
Does anyone have any comments onto the reliability of the connector plugs on and off over time?  

My puppy has recently become quite destructive, and I've started taking the cable off after every listening session to store the Ethers safely away.  Will they hold up after months or years of a daily connect and disconnect?  I'm more concerned about the plugs on the headphones than the cables, as I can always change the latter myself.

Dec 12, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #2,163 of 2,843
Does anyone have any comments onto the reliability of the connector plugs on and off over time?  

My puppy has recently become quite destructive, and I've started taking the cable off after every listening session to store the Ethers safely away.  Will they hold up after months or years of a daily connect and disconnect?  I'm more concerned about the plugs on the headphones than the cables, as I can always change the latter myself.

Same plugs on the Alpha Dog and Prime. I had a year or so with each with no issues. They are pretty robust. No moving parts on the headphone side either. Oh, and off and on virtually daily.

Dec 12, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #2,165 of 2,843
Same plugs on the Alpha Dog and Prime. I had a year or so with each with no issues. They are pretty robust. No moving parts on the headphone side either. Oh, and off and on virtually daily.

The 4pin inputs to all the MrSpeakers Headphones wiggles a bit..

Dec 12, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #2,166 of 2,843

We have not had a single plug fail to date.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 14, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #2,167 of 2,843
ETHER picked up another Best of 2015 award, this one from "The Ear" magazine in the UK.  

http://www.the-ear.net/review-hardware/products-year-2015-various

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 18, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #2,169 of 2,843
How do you guys like the ether compared to audezes lineup such as the Lcd 2?

I much prefer the Ether over any of the Audeze headphones I've heard. But most people in here will probably say that 
wink.gif
 Oh, and the comfort, weight and design is also better in my opinion.

Dec 18, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #2,170 of 2,843
I've listened to the LCD-3F, X and the HD800 as well as the HE-1000. I am considering the Ether as well as the HE-X. What can you tell me about what you thought the Ether can do better than some of these (or at least the Audeze)? I may not get the chance to listen to the Ether so I am curious as to the strengths as you perceive them...I like the LCD-X the best so far ( HE-1000 way too pricey for me). I am more of a treble head but since I have the HD700, might have that part covered. I am looking to upgrade way above the HE-400i I have but love its signature. Ether seems really appealing...

Dec 18, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #2,171 of 2,843
Every can you mention is high enough up in level that would make the choice a matter of preference which means many factors involved like what types of music, and environment, and your personal listening style.
Therefore you must hear them for yourself to choose properly a preference that your specific ears would enjoy most.
Can't really go wrong with any of one's you mentioned, depending on the circumstances

Dec 18, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #2,172 of 2,843
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I know that each will sound differently, depending on many factors. I am in the impression stage, trying to see what people think. I know it will all be dependent on my own listening preferences. I am not ready to buy yet, just information gathering so when the time comes to evlaluatie each, I have some ideas about them to make an all-around judgement.

Dec 19, 2015 at 2:54 AM Post #2,173 of 2,843
Tried Alpha Dog, Alpha Prime and Ether Open in a row as a first time mrspeaker's listener. I was a LCD3 owner but sold it due to comfort issue. Now looking for a new pair.

Alpha Dog : Less detailed but very fun Sounding, good mid and bass. Super shocked because It sounds almost like an open can. Definitely good for pop music. Great price to performance ratio.

Alpha Prime : slightly more details and wider soundstage. Speedier? Cymbals sound more apparent to me compared to dogs. The only cons is almost double price of the alpha dog! To me this cans is more like a different sound signature instead of a step up from dogs .

Common cons for both of these: Weights. I was starting to feel dizzy after brief listening.
I am really sensitive to weight sitting on my head. The dizziness is still with me as I m typing this...

Ether : Wow. Really impressed by this. High resolution, smooth, more accurate bass. This is so much cleaner (less muddy) compared to alphas! Mids are less thicker than lcd3 but wider soundstage, and more details! The most important point is, really important I gonna repeat twice, is the comfort level! Super light and comfy man. This is the lightest pair of planer I have ever listened to. The built is great, innovative, and look way more nicer in hands than on photo. I can see myself wearing this all day long without issue. Another plus point is, this comes with a portable case. Together with the light weight of the cans itself I am able to carry this guy anywhere without much hassle(with mojo).

Conclusion
I will definitely get the Ether soon, for the price you paid you get not only great sounding, but very high convenience as well. Everyone should audit this before considering other available planars. Ether will surprise you with the weight of their in house planer design.

*Not good in English please correct me if I made mistakes in my article.

Dec 19, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #2,174 of 2,843
  This forum is slowing way, way down.   Why should the C get all the attention? 

Please, Ether owners.... keep the comments coming.  

As a new Ether owner with 3 days listening experience, what follows are a few strictly non-audiophile impressions. 

Since I bought my first DAC, an Arcam rPac 3 years ago, 99% of the music I’ve been listening to has been whilst sitting at my PC using a 25 year old Stax Lambda Pro based system.  In recent times I’ve been spending many more hours listening in this way and was starting to find the Lambdas a bit fatiguing, driven as they are by an old SRD-X Pro energiser and aging pre-amp.  My first thoughts were to upgrade to a proper estat amp but couldn’t dispel the doubts I was having as to what improvements I might expect, or whether I should be spending money on a 25-year-old combo at all.

All the while I was following the Ethers thread as well as the Stax one and a few weeks ago decided to give my sadly neglected HD650s a listen on the PC system, which was upgraded with the Chordette Qute DAC a couple of years back.  The HD650s were driven by a Graham Slee Solo.  It took 2 or 3 days to adjust to the darker sound but within a week I found I was not only enjoying them, I was enjoying the sound quite a bit more than with the Lambdas.  Not only were they more forgiving, I was able to listen at higher volume levels, which gave music more energy and the feel of greater dynamics and drive, plus the illusion of more detail, i.e. details buried deep in the mix were more prominent at the higher volume levels.  A few days later I made the decision to buy a pair of Ethers.

They arrived 3 days ago, in the early evening, having spent 10 hours in a delivery van in mid December in the Scottish Highlands.  I mention this because when I finally unboxed them 40 minutes later, they were cold to the touch and that may have had some bearing on the initial impressions I noted during that first listening session.  When I say listening session, it was just a normal session, working at my PC with (mostly rock) music playing in the background via Foobar on random play, letting the music wash over me.  The Ethers were driven by the Solo.

That said, I did notice some things I wasn’t used to and made some notes as I went along.  The first thing I noted was a couple of tracks in, I felt I was hearing more ‘bounce’ in the bass line than I was used to on some tracks.  There also seemed to be a bit more ‘snap’ in some percussion and I was more aware of the wires clashing in the bottom of snare drums than I remember on some tracks.

Another thing I noticed a couple of times was acoustic guitars deeper in the mix felt like they had a bit more crispness than I was used to.  Previously these could sound a bit dead and ‘plasticy’ offering little more than a lifeless ‘thrump’ sound.       

By the end of that first session, the impression I had formed of the Ethers was that they sounded very percussive, as opposed to ‘bassy’, and I began to understand why those that had mentioned they were ‘toe tapping’ phones were coming from.  A few of the tracks I heard sounded so different it’s almost like I was listening to a different mix than previously, put together by some percussion freak who felt that vocals and guitars, etc do nothing more than get in the way of the ‘real’ music.  Unfortunately I didn’t include any track information in my very brief notes, so can’t compare how these tracks sound after a few days getting used to the Ethers’ sound signature.  It’s certainly not something I’m as aware of now, so maybe it was just the different sound signature that was playing tricks on my brain, or the effects of the aforementioned cold on the Ethers. 

So where am I now?  I suppose the original hope was that the Ethers were going to combine the strengths of the Lambdas and the HD650s, i.e. the clarity and delicacy of the Lambdas married to the fuller, more forgiving sound of the 650s.  Obviously, it’s very early days, but things are looking quite promising.  The sound is very crisp and clean to my ears and, even though I’m not ‘drowning in percussion’ as I was on first listening, I’m really enjoying the ‘snap’ I’m hearing in the sound signature.  I would say the sound is also a touch more forgiving than with the 650s.

And have the Ethers helped eradicate the brightness and glare that plague the Lambdas with some artists/tracks and contribute to their fatiguing nature on longer sessions?  The answer is yes…and no, not yet.  The worst ‘culprits’ that spring to mind are the pop/rock of Manic Street Preachers, Oasis and Red Hot Chilli Peppers.  I find some of their tracks sound shrill to the point of being unlistenable.  The good news is that Foobar has randomly selected a number of their tracks over the last few days and the overall impression is they sound better, if not perfect.  However, a couple of tracks spring to mind as being particularly hard to listen to.  They are Australia by the Manics and Morning Glory by Oasis.  Both are quite strident tracks.  The news is not so good on those.  Australia sounds a little better but is still too shrill for my liking and Morning Glory sounds as horrible as ever.  I’ve created a playlist for them so that I can visit them again periodically to see how I feel about them further down the line.  I’m agnostic when it comes to whether burn-in is for real or not; how can I determine whether my perception of changes in the sound is down to burn-in or growing familiarity with a particular sound signature?  However, revisiting the above tracks may lead me in one direction or t’other.

Apologies for no mention of sound stages or frequency responses but I’m no audiophile and don’t pay much heed to them.  For me it’s mostly about feel and that leads me to one last observation of the Ethers.  I’m finding they are managing to impart a sense of tension to much of the music I’m hearing from them and that’s something I really like.             

Dec 19, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #2,175 of 2,843
The Ether is still a neutral sounding headphone. It does not roll-off in the highs much. Every headphone that is tuned as such will show those imperfections and harshness. Some of us are more sensitive to it than others. We can either get used to it, buy warm rolled headphones or tweak our gear to make it warmer, smoother and less revealing of said imperfections. I like combining points 1 & 3. The thought of point 2 disgusts me 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back