MrSpeakers Ether Impressions Thread
Jun 30, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #1,381 of 2,843
If Dan somehow manage to come up with a closed back version of Ether (with technology,black magic or whatever),I hate to think how much it would cost,for I  don't think I can hold myself from buying it regardless.Not after reading all this.

Jun 30, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #1,382 of 2,843
   The hek was a wow factor because of deep extension on the sub bass. Overall the Ether is more cohesive, more neutral and overall more enjoyable...for me. I spent a lot of time with the hek (beta tester). It's a great headphone but does have a little peak in the treble (lower). 

It's interesting. On my solid state (Rudistor) amp, there is a little peak (over 12khz), but on my tubed (Pinnacle) amp, there is no such treble peak, and the highs are sweet, full, and perfect, even a bit mellow, but not rolled off either. It's a very even sound subjectively. And my HEK scales to sound just so great on the Pinnacle. It's a great phone/amp match.

Jun 30, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #1,383 of 2,843
Another review, a full review by MattTCG on AudioHead....

http://audio-head.com/mrspeakers-ether-headphone-review/

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jun 30, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #1,384 of 2,843
Jun 30, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #1,388 of 2,843
mmmm......I'm intensely following this thread. Since I am obsessed with/focused on portable/transportables, my question to those who own or have had experience with the Ether, how well does it perform with portable amp or amp/dacs? Which ones have very good-to-excellent synergy? Is the Ether picky with source equipment? I know that open backed HP are best heard at home and performs really well with desktop amps but, in less ideal listening conditions, how does the Ether fare? Are there build issues that we (potential buyers) need to be aware of? tia.

Jun 30, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #1,389 of 2,843
  mmmm......I'm intensely following this thread. Since I am obsessed with/focused on portable/transportables, my question to those who own or have had experience with the Ether, how well does it perform with portable amp or amp/dacs? Which ones have very good-to-excellent synergy? Is the Ether picky with source equipment? I know that open backed HP are best heard at home and performs really well with desktop amps but, in less ideal listening conditions, how does the Ether fare? Are there build issues that we (potential buyers) need to be aware of? tia.

The Ether does surprisingly well on transportable amps. The Centrence hifi m8 and the ifi micro idsd work very well. That being said the Ether responds and scales up at an alarming rate. You will hear everything in the chain. 

The build quality is rock solid and impressive across the the entire headphone. I have no concerns at all with regard to how this hp is put together and it's long term reliability. 

Jun 30, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #1,390 of 2,843
@MattTCG great review, well written, detailed but not dry! How long did you have the HEK Beta for comparison, what amps did you use beside your Lyr 2?

Jun 30, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #1,391 of 2,843

The Ether does surprisingly well on transportable amps. The Centrence hifi m8 and the ifi micro idsd work very well. That being said the Ether responds and scales up at an alarming rate. You will hear everything in the chain. 

The build quality is rock solid and impressive across the the entire headphone. I have no concerns at all with regard to how this hp is put together and it's long term reliability. 

Mmm.....much appreciated! And makes the purchase decision easier since I use both portable amp/dacs.

Jul 2, 2015 at 5:45 AM Post #1,392 of 2,843
Wow, this case is REALLY nice!  The structural integrity seems very sound, so I'm confident that it will go a long way towards protecting these in travel.  Well done Dan!  
smile.gif

Jul 2, 2015 at 6:07 AM Post #1,393 of 2,843
Wow, this case is REALLY nice!  The structural integrity seems very sound, so I'm confident that it will go a long way towards protecting these in travel.  Well done Dan!  :smile:

The case sounds very functional, thanks for the information sir.

Jul 2, 2015 at 6:13 AM Post #1,394 of 2,843

Wow, this case is REALLY nice!  The structural integrity seems very sound, so I'm confident that it will go a long way towards protecting these in travel.  Well done Dan!  
smile.gif

The case sounds very functional, thanks for the information sir.

Yes, it does!  Make me very forgiving of the funky smell.  KIDDING!  
biggrin.gif

Jul 2, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #1,395 of 2,843

My ETHER'S have arrived, they are gorgeous, so comfortable.
The case is very nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back