MrSpeakers Ether Impressions Thread
Jun 6, 2015 at 2:00 AM Post #964 of 2,843
The case is included with the headphone. It's made in the U.S. And the exterior is the same faux leather used in private jets, so it's tough.

Wow, nice!

Jun 6, 2015 at 2:25 AM Post #965 of 2,843

Not a problem. If there any specific questions, feel free to hit me with them...

Hi Matt,
It would be great to get your view on their bass performance via-a-vis the He-1000. Furtheremore some amp/dac synergy observations would be cool.
Thanks in advance!

What music would you like to know about the bass on? Feel free to post a youtube video.

For everyone reading:

The HE1000s have something more akin to electrostat bass (to me at least). It seems to reach out and touch me with its accuracy. It feels more open and spacious, but the whole presentation isn't as impactful as regular planars. People are wishing that the HE1000s are more impactful like the HE6s and have played around with using different pads to get the same effect. I can't emphasise how electrostat-like the HE1000s are, down to the change in the sound if you hold your hands even a couple of inches from the back of the cups. If you've never experienced what 'stats are like, it is simply impossible to describe.

The Ethers are more "I don't think about the bass." It is neither too much or too little on acoustic tracks. Any lack of impact is going to be because they are tuned towards neutral, that is, the bass doesn't rise gently like it does in the HE1000s. Some people are going to want to pair it with warmer amps (take your pick of coloured tube amps or HEADA or similar) and other people will simply want more bass. They are going to sound flat after listening with TH900s, for example, so don't do that! 
smile.gif

One thing that seems to stand out with the Ethers is that they will very easily resolve very long instrument note decay. I remember on the RYgg at CanJam how I could make out the decay in notes even a second or two afterwards, such as in that church David Chesky uses for his latest recordings. 

Jun 6, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #966 of 2,843
What music would you like to know about the bass on? Feel free to post a youtube video.

Thanks for a great post Amos.

In terms of music I'm thinking electronica (Daft Punk's RAM, Trentemoeller's Last resort), folk/blues (Leonard Cohen's popular problems) and acoustic chamber pop (Agnes Obel's Philharmonics & Anthony & the johnsons). The guilty pleasure is then Eurotechno :wink:

I currently have the LCD 2.2 ( which I like for visceral impact, but not the last word in detail or refinement) paired with the Schiit Mjolnir fed by Geek Pulse Xfi infinity and I wondered if I will need a warmer amp ( Liquid Carbon is on the way) when the Ethers arrive?

Jun 6, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #968 of 2,843
Dan, if I were to order an Ether later this year are you able to use SMC connectors on the cups? I have had a custom cable made as my integrated has no headphone out so I run from a speaker tap cable and the cable is terminated with SMC. Thanks.

Jun 6, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #969 of 2,843
The ETHER case first article arrived.  

The sound and comfort are of course the most important things for a HP but so many companies forget about the "little" things ... and some even try to sell luxury $1000+ HPs in amazingly boring and/or cheap packages.

That might just be the best HP case ever .. seems to be both beautiful and super practical, especially for my transportable needs. The color should also look great under my Christmas tree :)

Jun 6, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #970 of 2,843
The case is included with the headphone. It's made in the U.S. And the exterior is the same faux leather used in private jets, so it's tough.
Well that's certainly a welcome unexpected surprise. Fan-friggn-tastic news. Looks like the Ether will become a constant travel companion rather than sitting in my primary hp rig while I'm away from it.

Jun 6, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #971 of 2,843
The sound and comfort are of course the most important things for a HP but so many companies forget about the "little" things ... +++ The color should also look great under my Christmas tree :)
unless that's a southern hemisphere Christmas (6 months sooner) ... how can you wait?! :)

Jun 6, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #972 of 2,843
I would be very interested in DUM adapters too...

I don't want to answer for Dan & co. ; I would be happy to buy this from him too. But he lists a number of cable / adapter makers on his DUM cable page from whom (did I use that right? I'll never know :p ) you can buy this adapter.

It reminds me, I need to buy one ... now.

Jun 6, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #974 of 2,843
unless that's a southern hemisphere Christmas (6 months sooner) ... how can you wait?! :)

I am pretty sure the entire world celebrates Christmas on the exact same Day and Dec25 date :)

Other than that, I'll just wait. It's not like I dont have 10+ HP pairs already. And last time I checked patience was still a virtue :wink:

Jun 6, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #975 of 2,843
I'm no audio engineer, but it's kind of amazing that a small group like Mr. Speakers could create a new driver from scratch. I mean, Oppo and Hifiman seem to have whole manufacturing/engineering departments. So congrats to them for what seems like a major accomplishment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back