MrSpeakers Ether Impressions Thread
Jun 6, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #976 of 2,843
I need a complementary headphones to my LCD3F. I love the Lcd's lushness and warmth.

My question is, do u think that the Ether is the one that I am supposed to have next to  my LCD3?

I am looking for something with huge sound stage (holographic). My only fear is that wide sound stage headphones like HD800 and Hifiman are thin sounding, bright and daed boring. 

I love how the Ether is super light and comfortable (based on members comments). Which makes it a potential headphones for me. It also comes with case and you can order upgraded cable 
beerchug.gif

Need your input guys,,,,,

Jun 6, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #977 of 2,843
I would say that the Ether makes a nice complement to the LCD line. It has more energy, attack, and resolution to the lcd2 that I owned. Sorry I have not owned the LCD 3. Great sound stage on the Ether also.

Jun 6, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #978 of 2,843
I need a complementary headphones to my LCD3F. I love the Lcd's lushness and warmth.

My question is, do u think that the Ether is the one that I am supposed to have next to  my LCD3?

I am looking for something with huge sound stage (holographic). My only fear is that wide sound stage headphones like HD800 and Hifiman are thin sounding, bright and daed boring. 

I love how the Ether is super light and comfortable (based on members comments). Which makes it a potential headphones for me. It also comes with case and you can order upgraded cable 
beerchug.gif

Need your input guys,,,,,

While I completely agree that Ether are great headphones and I have to have at home to do proper comparison but I think Ether sound stage is holographic but not as wide as HD800. Also whatever negative you say about HD800 applies only to stock HD800. And while I liked LCD3 with certain setups at the meets I would take Ether over LCD3

Jun 6, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #980 of 2,843
@Sonic Guild, HiFi Man I have never heard described as thin and dead boring. That suggests to me that the somewhat lush and thick sounding LCD signature is something your brain is acclimated to and you will need to listen to whatever new headphone you get exclusively for a week to get your brain adjusted. If you don't, unless you get another lush (and some feel this lushness in the LCD line is overly coloured) headphone, you are always going to feel the sound is thin by way of comparison. I have heard an LCD 3F recently and they are lovely, but most certainly lush and coloured, which is of course very gratifying and forgiving, but certainly warm so do keep that in mind. I'm not sure that the Ether wouldn't sound thin at first to you either.

Jun 6, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #982 of 2,843
  @Sonic Guild, HiFi Man I have never heard described as thin and dead boring. That suggests to me that the somewhat lush and thick sounding LCD signature is something your brain is acclimated to and you will need to listen to whatever new headphone you get exclusively for a week to get your brain adjusted. If you don't, unless you get another lush (and some feel this lushness in the LCD line is overly coloured) headphone, you are always going to feel the sound is thin by way of comparison. I have heard an LCD 3F recently and they are lovely, but most certainly lush and coloured, which is of course very gratifying and forgiving, but certainly warm so do keep that in mind. I'm not sure that the Ether wouldn't sound thin at first to you either.

I really like the logic behind your answer!

You are right I guess I am spoiled by the LCD3 
biggrin.gif

Unfortunately, when I tested the HE560 it did NOT make me smile. My face was daed flat all the time 
confused_face_2.gif

Based on members comments I feel that the Ether will be the musical version of the HD800. Which is great and I am thrilled to get my hands on Ether.  

Jun 6, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #985 of 2,843
  I'm no audio engineer, but it's kind of amazing that a small group like Mr. Speakers could create a new driver from scratch. I mean, Oppo and Hifiman seem to have whole manufacturing/engineering departments. So congrats to them for what seems like a major accomplishment.

It is really no secret; they kidnapped Tony Stark.
atsmile.gif

Jun 6, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #986 of 2,843

I really like the logic behind your answer!

You are right I guess I am spoiled by the LCD3 
biggrin.gif

Unfortunately, when I tested the HE560 it did NOT make me smile. My face was daed flat all the time 
confused_face_2.gif

Based on members comments I feel that the Ether will be the musical version of the HD800. Which is great and I am thrilled to get my hands on Ether.  

I don't wanna be the party pooper here. but if the HE-560 left you cold, chances are the Ether will too. They are both neutral headphones and sound more similar than different, unlike the LCD3 that you own.
Just FYI. IMO. Hopefully, YMMV 
beerchug.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 6, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #987 of 2,843
  I don't wanna be the party popper here. but if the HE-560 left you cold, chances are the Ether will too. They are both neutral headphones and sound more similar than different, unlike the LCD3 that you own.
beerchug.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

That's what I think too. I've heard a couple times the Ether is an upgraded HE-560. Also, they both share comparisons to elements of the HD 800. It could still be a complementary headphone to the LCD-3F though depending on amp/dac as they do have a transparent nature.

Jun 6, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #988 of 2,843

That's what I think too. I've heard a couple times the Ether is an upgraded HE-560. Also, they both share comparisons to elements of the HD 800. It could still be a complementary headphone to the LCD-3F though depending on amp/dac as they do have a transparent nature.

I and several others have felt there was something wrong with treble in the HE-560, it's hard to describe. Even the HD800 didn't really bug me that much, but there's definitely something odd going on with the HE-560. Hope the Ether doesn't have the same treble issues.

Jun 6, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #989 of 2,843
 I don't wanna be the party popper here. but if the HE-560 left you cold, chances are the Ether will too. They are both neutral headphones and sound more similar than different, unlike the LCD3 that you own.
beerchug.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

Exactly, the sound will depend on the gear you use. I, for example, would never liked Ether if the only setup I heard them with was Yggdrasil /WA5 combo but after trying with Liquid Crimson and LIO I have to have them at home to compare to my modded HD800

Jun 6, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #990 of 2,843

I and several others have felt there was something wrong with treble in the HE-560, it's hard to describe. Even the HD800 didn't really bug me that much, but there's definitely something odd going on with the HE-560. Hope the Ether doesn't have the same treble issues.

Ether have great detailed treble, only bass could be issue with some setups for me, but thankfully not with the one I'm going to use

Users who are viewing this thread

Back