MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Nov 24, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #4,606 of 5,796
I owned the ETHER and the LCD-X at the same time. I found the ETHER to be superior only in two ways. Obviously in comfort and the ETHER was superior for higher pitched female vocals. In all other aspects I considered the X better. I upgraded the ETHER to Flow status and still preferred the X to the Flow. The Flow is now gone as is the X but only because I found a smoking deal on a LCD4 about 6 weeks ago. YMMV.

Nov 24, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #4,608 of 5,796
Since I probably can't afford a bendy head for all of my dozen or so headphones, can anyone recommend a good type of foam to insert between the earpads during hanging/storage?

what differences did you find between efo and afo?? i have afo, i find them astonishing for the price, and i tought that maybe ether would be even better... they cost almost double the price of afo , i would consider them only if there are serious improvements.. thx

Nov 24, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #4,609 of 5,796
what differences did you find between efo and afo?? i have afo, i find them astonishing for the price, and i tought that maybe ether would be even better... they cost almost double the price of afo , i would consider them only if there are serious improvements.. thx
You'll find some comparisons in the AFO thread.

Nov 24, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #4,610 of 5,796

I found the EFO to sound brighter/clearer overall compared to AFO. To me the EFO sounds like an HD800 with more bass and a slightly smaller soundstage, which is right up my alley. The AFO seemed darker overall especially in upper treble with a smaller soundstage. Really you can only tell if it's worth it by listening for yourself. I still do own the Aeon closed and since I just got my EFO delivered two days ago, have been A/B'ing it extensively with my AFC and HD800. I'm still in the process of burning in the EFO (currently have about 30 hours of time on it, 90% of which is playing 90 db pink noise overnight while I sleep).

I will admit I didn"t spend a ton of time with the AFO, as I was mostly focused on the Utopia, LCD4, and EFO. The AFO immediately sounded murky to me, much like the AFC, Eikon, EFC, etc. I guess I like a bit of hyped treble, and in that regard the EFO sounded a lot more like the LCD4 and Utopia.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2017 at 3:31 AM Post #4,611 of 5,796
I found the EFO to sound brighter/clearer overall compared to AFO. To me the EFO sounds like an HD800 with more bass and a slightly smaller soundstage, which is right up my alley. The AFO seemed darker overall especially in upper treble with a smaller soundstage. Really you can only tell if it's worth it by listening for yourself. I still do own the Aeon closed and since I just got my EFO delivered two days ago, have been A/B'ing it extensively with my AFC and HD800. I'm still in the process of burning in the EFO (currently have about 30 hours of time on it, 90% of which is playing 90 db pink noise overnight while I sleep).

I will admit I didn"t spend a ton of time with the AFO, as I was mostly focused on the Utopia, LCD4, and EFO. The AFO immediately sounded murky to me, much like the AFC, Eikon, EFC, etc. I guess I like a bit of hyped treble, and in that regard the EFO sounded a lot more like the LCD4 and Utopia.

Interesting... What felts did you use with AFO?

Nov 25, 2017 at 4:46 AM Post #4,612 of 5,796
Interesting... What felts did you use with AFO?

Whatever SourceAV had in them, I didn't ask about the inserts. I see that Tyll has replaced the EFO with the AFO on his wall of fame so maybe I should've given it more consideration, but honestly for me the EFO was more my style, I think a lot of people might find the EFO too bright; it's probably along the same lines of people preferring the HD650 to the HD800.

Nov 25, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #4,614 of 5,796
I see that Tyll has replaced the EFO with the AFO on his wall of fame so maybe I should've given it more consideration
I honestly think that move was not warranted. They both belong up there, the Ether Flow is a lot more than just an expensive ÆON. More punch, more bass extension, slightly more bass, no sucked out mids, thicker stock cable, pads that aren't glued on... it's a different, and in my mind, better headphone. The ÆON is also good, and, I agree, the best open one under $1000. But it doesn't replace the Ether Flow. Though the AFO looks better than the EFO, while the EFC may look as good as or better than the AFC.
Purely from a market point of view, it would make sense to me to remove the old Ether from the lineup and make the Ether Flow $1600 (maybe with a choice of red or blue earcups... hehe). But for that to work, Dan might have to figure out a way to lower production costs.
How many people are still buying the old Ether? I could imagine that some get them, and then upgrade them, but keep the red cups.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #4,615 of 5,796

I prefer a darker/murky signature myself. So maybe the AFO will be my kinda HP?

I've completely given up on my EFO. Just way to bright. Even with the other pads. Treble just kills it for me. Just sits there now.
I prefer the NightHawks a lot more.

Nov 25, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #4,616 of 5,796
I prefer a darker/murky signature myself. So maybe the AFO will be my kinda HP?

I've completely given up on my EFO. Just way to bright. Even with the other pads. Treble just kills it for me. Just sits there now.
I prefer the NightHawks a lot more.

Could be, if you're sensitive to treble you might not enjoy the EFO (or utopia or LCD4 for that matter, in my opinion). My Aeon Closed is less hot in the treble for sure, especially with the filters installed, although I didn't really A/B the Aeon closed and open too much.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #4,617 of 5,796
What are some users comparisons with the Ether Flow open with any Grados? I currently use the GS2000e and I love them a lot. Low end is not their strength so I was looking for another TOTL to pair with us. I don't like the weight of the LCD series but I heard the Ether Flow might be a good match on performance and weight.

I want more low end response but I don't want it to overwhelm me. Like if I want to listen to Jazz I have my GS2000e, if I want Depeche Mode I have something like the Ether Flow for that.... From some comments the Ether Flow Closed might have too much low end for my taste. Was planning to use my Woo Audio WA6-SE as my amp.

Dec 7, 2017 at 12:21 AM Post #4,618 of 5,796
It's funny you should say that, I have described the EFO as a super-grado without the treble spikes and shoutiness (I own an Alessandro MS2i variant of the SR325). OK maybe it has a little bit of the shouty spikes but not as much as a prestige series grado. EFO defintely has a bit more bass than a lot of other high-end open headphones like utopia and HD800. The bass is a bit grado like in the sense that it's a midbass boost, but it still goes into the subbass deeper than most grados (I haven't heard the statement series) and the EFO has a bit of treble sparkle that is part of what makes it sound good with rock for instance. I used Godsmack's "Get Up, Get Out" in my auditions when I selected the Ether Flow. It's not an audiophile grade recording but it sounded better to me on the EFO than the other open headphones in the over $1k price range that I tried.

Listening to a few depeche mode lists on Spotify I almost feel like this is good closed headphone music. I was definitely not overwhelmed with bass, but not left as wanting as I was when I switched to my HD800. More bass on the EFO and a thicker sound due to more upper midrange presence.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back