MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Apr 14, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #4,291 of 5,796
Its like trying to change the form of tempered metal. Eventually if you bend it too much it snaps. Its not like aluminum where you can bend it and it stays or keeps some of its structure. A spring can move but always wants to go back to its original shape. Bend it far enough and it just breaks. You probably can bend it but there is such a small amount of tolerance to bend it before it breaks and even if you did manage to bend the headband you probably don't know how structurally sound it is anymore and can give at any moment. I've bent some springs for machinery, clamps, etc and I've gotten away with it a few time but most of the time I end up having to reorder the part since it just gives. Its not worth the risk at all. Maybe if it was a $200 headphone but the Ethers are $1800 lol.

Apr 15, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #4,295 of 5,796
Should be a standard philips head screwdriver. Be careful not to overtighten. I made that mistake once and ordered a new slider set from Peter.

I don't believe there is a way to "lock" the sliders in place. even at their tightest position (before stripping the plastic thread - please be careful to avoid over tightening), they'll still move with some force. I personally like my sliders to be tight, as I don't want them shifting when I remove and replace the cans, but even so, the sliders will still creep over time, even at a tightened position.

Thanks. I meant the two sliding "stops" that prevent the headband from sliding up the wire. Two little hex screws on each side. I want to adjust this down so the headband doesn't raise higher thus lowering the cups. I have some hex key sets but the smallest in these are too big. 

Apr 15, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #4,296 of 5,796
Thanks. I meant the two sliding "stops" that prevent the headband from sliding up the wire. Two little hex screws on each side. I want to adjust this down so the headband doesn't raise higher thus lowering the cups. I have some hex key sets but the smallest in these are too big. 

I've tried that idea as well. I also couldn't find hex keys small enough. Trying to think of ways to stop sliding also.

I took a listen to the HEKm2 yesterday. Compared to my flow. Same DAC and amp. Just switched HP's.
HEKm2 killed my flow. I think because the pads have a bigger ear area than the flow. A pity the new flow pads didn't work.

HEKm2 sounded better on soundsage. Frankly the flow sounded closed next to it. Tonaly the HEKm2 was perfect.

Apr 15, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #4,297 of 5,796
I've tried that idea as well. I also couldn't find hex keys small enough. Trying to think of ways to stop sliding also.

I took a listen to the HEKm2 yesterday. Compared to my flow. Same DAC and amp. Just switched HP's.
HEKm2 killed my flow. I think because the pads have a bigger ear area than the flow. A pity the new flow pads didn't work.

HEKm2 sounded better on soundsage. Frankly the flow sounded closed next to it. Tonaly the HEKm2 was perfect.

For me The HEK v2 is perfect. I think it pulls ahead slightly but the price difference is huge.

Apr 15, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #4,298 of 5,796

I also compared the open flows to the he1000v2 a few weeks back and came to the same conclusion. I ended it up getting a pair for a great discount. Though, the C flow to my ears are still the best closed headphone

Apr 16, 2017 at 4:40 AM Post #4,299 of 5,796
Honestly there isn't much difference between pad swaps for me, though I like them with the E pads on quite a bit. It's the actual clamp of the headphone against my jaw that causes my ears to ache after an hour. Every time. At any level of tightness or looseness. Any looser and it would fit past my ear, but the ache comes on slower rather than sooner when it's real loose so I know it's the clamp.
I doubt Dan would send me some wire slightly looser than the stock setting and I doubt anyone else has the problem but it really hurts my ears bad.

Apr 16, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #4,300 of 5,796
  Honestly there isn't much difference between pad swaps for me, though I like them with the E pads on quite a bit. It's the actual clamp of the headphone against my jaw that causes my ears to ache after an hour. Every time. At any level of tightness or looseness. Any looser and it would fit past my ear, but the ache comes on slower rather than sooner when it's real loose so I know it's the clamp.
I doubt Dan would send me some wire slightly looser than the stock setting and I doubt anyone else has the problem but it really hurts my ears bad.

You should sell or trade your headphone if you are getting pains! 
confused_face(1).gif

Apr 16, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #4,301 of 5,796
Quick estat pads impressions on the ECF:

More comfortable than stock.
Good isolation.
Big soundstage which allows for very layered presentation.
Less intimate, but smoother signature - feels like you're sitting further back from the sound.
Excellent detail retrieval both in music and gaming.
By comparison, stock pads offer a very direct, punchy presentation.

I don't see myself going back to stock, at least for the time being.

Apr 16, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #4,302 of 5,796
Quick estat pads impressions on the ECF:

More comfortable than stock.
Good isolation.
Big soundstage which allows for very layered presentation.
Less intimate, but smoother signature - feels like you're sitting further back from the sound.
Excellent detail retrieval both in music and gaming.
By comparison, stock pads offer a very direct, punchy presentation.

I don't see myself going back to stock, at least for the time being.

you use it on the Ether flows or C flows? 

Apr 17, 2017 at 12:42 AM Post #4,304 of 5,796
How do the Ether Flow and Ether C Flow compare to the Eikon, LCD-XC, and Sony MDR-Z1R?

Apr 17, 2017 at 7:08 AM Post #4,305 of 5,796
How do the Ether Flow and Ether C Flow compare to the Eikon, LCD-XC, and Sony MDR-Z1R?

I can compare ECF and z1r. These are very different approaches. The ECF is linear and transparent with the bass hitting hard when the song calls for it. The z1r, in comparison, is a much "thicker warmer" approach. It was too thick for me although I liked it in the beginning. After a while the z1r's bass just seemed to dominate the music too much and I grew tried of it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back