MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Apr 14, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #4,276 of 5,796
  Hello Dan, 

Any estimate on when the E-pads are coming back in stock?

Thank you very much!

Probably 3 weeks to receive...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 14, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #4,277 of 5,796
  Anybody have any advice on what I might do to reduce the clamp of the Ether? Honestly I have trouble wearing them for more than 2-3 hours max because the clamp is overkill against the jaw and it ends up making my ears hurt. I know they are memory metal but.....

You might relax the headband a bit and reduce pressure that way.  Don't "snug" the headband, it should be relaxed and only under a tiny bit of tension.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Apr 14, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #4,278 of 5,796
Silly question.... None of my tools have the right size to adjust and lock the sliders. Anyone know the size so I can order from Amazon? It would be cool if they included it in the box as it is pretty essential to locking in that perfect fit. Just sayin...
Should be a standard philips head screwdriver. Be careful not to overtighten. I made that mistake once and ordered a new slider set from Peter.

I don't believe there is a way to "lock" the sliders in place. even at their tightest position (before stripping the plastic thread - please be careful to avoid over tightening), they'll still move with some force. I personally like my sliders to be tight, as I don't want them shifting when I remove and replace the cans, but even so, the sliders will still creep over time, even at a tightened position.

Apr 14, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #4,279 of 5,796
  I have found that the clamping force feels like too much if the earphone adjustment is wrong.  Try moving them up and down along the sliders and see if you can find your happy place. The pads sould be around your ears, not on them by the way.

I find it strange that anyone would find a high clamping force with the Ethers, in general they are one of the most comfortable headphones I, and I have a big head! It may just be an adjustment issue. The type of pads might be a factor?

Apr 14, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #4,280 of 5,796
Boy O Boy. I'm having big issues with the new Electric Static pads.

My ears touch the ends and cause major irritation. You also can't move your jaw without the pads creaking.

They are driving me up the wall.

They do sound great tho. Certainly a nicer sound than stock pads. I don't think I can handle them much longer tho.
Mr Speakers will need to improve this when they release ther electro-static HP.

Very disappointed.

Surprisingly I also find the ES pads less comfortable than stock, despite the fact that the openings are bigger. I don't find it horrible, as badas  seems to be finding, but it is noticeable. I am conscious that my ears are more prone to contact with the pads and need to re-position more frequently to get comfortable.   I love the sound though, so will put up with a bit less comfort. I wonder if the ES  pads being shallower is the main factor?  I guess if you messed with the depth, the sound might suffer so it's a compromise.

Apr 14, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #4,281 of 5,796
Surprisingly I also find the ES pads less comfortable than stock, despite the fact that the openings are bigger. I don't find it horrible, as badas  seems to be finding, but it is noticeable. I am conscious that my ears are more prone to contact with the pads and need to re-position more frequently to get comfortable.   I love the sound though, so will put up with a bit less comfort. I wonder if the ES  pads being shallower is the main factor?  I guess if you messed with the depth, the sound might suffer so it's a compromise.
So are your ears touching the mesh?

Perhaps there are fewer variables with the stock pads fit. Your ear is either in the opening or it isn't. With the estat pads, there's more positioning required? Just s guess, but I'll have my pads on Monday to decide on my own.

Apr 14, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #4,282 of 5,796

Yeah, they're a wider diameter opening but not as thick as the stock.

Apr 14, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #4,283 of 5,796
Hi All - yesterday I received my new Ether Flow, 5 hours listening and I love them, hoping to improve in the way it is burned.
Paired with Chord Mojo and Tidal iOS and Windows Desktop - really AMAZING!! No issues with pads and I have decided to sell my previous ones Senn HD600, these new ones are better in all, including comfort.

To complete my setup I have discovered I need a new device for the living room and replace my integrated stereo amp Marantz PM-17 KI Series.

I want to reuse my Mimby (Schiit Modi 2 Multibit) so I want a good integrated stereo amp to pair with Mimby and Chario Constellation Lynx bookshelf speakers (4-ohm, 100W peak), so only one RCA input is needed, but it has to have a good/excelent headphone amp output section, so
Does someone know of the existence of this integrated-stereo/headphone amp to pair with the fantastic Ether Flow?
Thanks

Maybe check out the PS Audio Sprout. Either AS or Stereophile reviewed it recently specifically for headphone listening as well. I like mine.

Apr 14, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #4,284 of 5,796
Anybody have any advice on what I might do to reduce the clamp of the Ether? Honestly I have trouble wearing them for more than 2-3 hours max because the clamp is overkill against the jaw and it ends up making my ears hurt. I know they are memory metal but.....
ether stat pads reduce clamp for me.

Apr 14, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #4,288 of 5,796
You cant bend them to another position. Its nicknamed memory metal for a reason. While I wish the depth of the Epad was a little more since my ears do touch the mesh a little, I still find the Ethers more comfortable than any other TOTL headphone by a large margin. I find the clapping force perfect also but my head is not that big.

Apr 14, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #4,289 of 5,796
  You cant bend them to another position. Its nicknamed memory metal for a reason. While I wish the depth of the Epad was a little more since my ears do touch the mesh a little, I still find the Ethers more comfortable than any other TOTL headphone by a large margin. I find the clapping force perfect also but my head is not that big.

I kind of molded it to release the pressure and it works? Not so much of a bend. Just be carefull and i kind of dont recommend lol. But i did it

Apr 14, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #4,290 of 5,796
  Bend the rods. But be careful not to make a dent or snap it 

Do NOT do this.  This is Nitinol and you will permanently damage the headphone.  It's extremely difficult if not impossible to re-bend to default shape and you will end up with a very expensive repair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back