MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Apr 2, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #4,216 of 5,796
  I agree, as a basshead who had to come out of the closet I have had to live your advice and look for warmer, meaty headphones that still provide adequate detail, but not a focus on linearity of frequency response.

its no shame to be a basshead :wink:

just when i read that he uses c5 I immediately knew that if he does not declare he is a basshead he will be in a loop hole of just spending money for nothing

anyway my advise is for free, wish I had someone to advise me when I first started and had chord hugo and lcd2 and never got what I wanted

so my advise to him I am sure if he is aware enough he will have to re-think his strategies with being true to what he is after

most advises come from people who are not bassheads so he must be aware to that fact

i hope he knows that bassheads as well appreciate great sound quality and is not a bad stigma

Apr 2, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #4,217 of 5,796
  its no shame to be a basshead :wink:

just when i read that he uses c5 I immediately knew that if he does not declare he is a basshead he will be in a loop hole of just spending money for nothing

anyway my advise is for free, wish I had someone to advise me when I first started and had chord hugo and lcd2 and never got what I wanted

so my advise to him I am sure if he is aware enough he will have to re-think his strategies with being true to what he is after

most advises come from people who are not bassheads so he must be aware to that fact

i hope he knows that bassheads as well appreciate great sound quality and is not a bad stigma

I agree with everything that you said but here on head-fi and especially on the MrSpeakers threads I see just the opposite.  Bassheads commenting that certain gear and headphones lack or are bass lite or that they are too bright.

Apr 2, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #4,218 of 5,796
Thanks for the input guys. Sounds like the first step is going to be the Bifrost Multibit upgrade. It's inexpensive enough that if it doesn't work out I won't be too upset. At some point as well I will need to replace the Lyr as it has a higher noise floor than I'd like for the Ethers. Maybe when I get to that point I may make the jump to the Mjolner 2.

And ya I agree, I definitely prefer a more bassy signature, but I don't think I'd consider myself a true basshead. Although I did have a pair of HA-SZ2000's for a short time, haha. Those were fun, but also terrible. 

Regarding the C5, I originally bought it to go with gen 1 Beyer T5P's to balance their harsher signature. Though when I sold those and bought the Ether C's I found that its bass boost worked perfectly to mitigate the leaner low end. It basically brings the bass up to the level that is present in the Flows without any boosting. Using the flows on the C5 is completely different though. The bass boost is way too much and even without using it it's still pretty thick sounding, though for some of my music it works well. If I could split the difference between the Schiit gear and my portable setup (with the Flows) I think I'd be happy.

Apr 2, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #4,219 of 5,796
  Thanks for the input guys. Sounds like the first step is going to be the Bifrost Multibit upgrade. It's inexpensive enough that if it doesn't work out I won't be too upset. At some point as well I will need to replace the Lyr as it has a higher noise floor than I'd like for the Ethers. Maybe when I get to that point I may make the jump to the Mjolner 2.

And ya I agree, I definitely prefer a more bassy signature, but I don't think I'd consider myself a true basshead. Although I did have a pair of HA-SZ2000's for a short time, haha. Those were fun, but also terrible. 

Regarding the C5, I originally bought it to go with gen 1 Beyer T5P's to balance their harsher signature. Though when I sold those and bought the Ether C's I found that its bass boost worked perfectly to mitigate the leaner low end. It basically brings the bass up to the level that is present in the Flows without any boosting. Using the flows on the C5 is completely different though. The bass boost is way too much and even without using it it's still pretty thick sounding, though for some of my music it works well. If I could split the difference between the Schiit gear and my portable setup (with the Flows) I think I'd be happy.

by basshead we are referring ourselves here to be audiophile bassheads or bass lovers not ones who are after thumping bass and to hell with mids and highs, that is not what I meant and that is something I am not. I would never listen to or buy a sz2000 as that is not what I mean by audiophile basshead

anyway I gave my advise and I know such free advises are always ignored

a great amp with boost  like alo mk3 B with a dac that is not known to sterile and some eq is my free advise 

also stay away from any sabre dacs in my opinion

Apr 2, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #4,220 of 5,796

I also used the C5 w/bass boost with the original Ether C's. Thought it was a perfect match.

Apr 2, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #4,221 of 5,796

also stay away from any sabre dacs in my opinion

I have read a few opinions suggesting the new flagship Sabre DAC is greatly improved. From what I understand the Sabre DAC wasn't inherently flawed as much as it was more challenging to implement well. Apparently the new chip, I think it is a 9038, but I might be off on the version number, is supposed to have on the chip dealt with the main issues that previous Sabre chips left up to the DAC designer so if done poorly the flaws were glaring. In general I agree with your statement as I did find the few Sabre implementations I owned just a little too "digital" sounding. I am interested to know if the new Sabre chips earn a reputation as a marked improvement sonically. Time will tell.

Apr 2, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #4,222 of 5,796
  I also used the C5 w/bass boost with the original Ether C's. Thought it was a perfect match.

that is why i rec an amp with bass boost, and alo mk3B is an amp that I have 2 of them as that is one of the best amps out there for people who need to tune their bass. I also have fiio a5 amp and that does not even remotely compare to alo mk3 B. TH bad news is Alo stopped making mk3B so he has to hunt one down used. i will never sell mine as they are so dam good.

If he can not find a used alo mk3B then buy ifi ican SE amp as that has also a good bass boost and is a quality amp

Apr 2, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #4,223 of 5,796
  I have read a few opinions suggesting the new flagship Sabre DAC is greatly improved. From what I understand the Sabre DAC wasn't inherently flawed as much as it was more challenging to implement well. Apparently the new chip, I think it is a 9038, but I might be off on the version number, is supposed to have on the chip dealt with the main issues that previous Sabre chips left up to the DAC designer so if done poorly the flaws were glaring. In general I agree with your statement as I did find the few Sabre implementations I owned just a little too "digital" sounding. I am interested to know if the new Sabre chips earn a reputation as a marked improvement sonically. Time will tell.

that would interesting to know what changes are implemented

Apr 2, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #4,224 of 5,796
  that would interesting to know what changes are implemented

Here is a link to read up on this: http://www.esstech.com/files/7414/5193/1716/ES9038PRO_Product_brief_121715.pdf

Apr 2, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #4,225 of 5,796
Aaaaaaand, there's a thread to discuss the particulars of that DAC chip (outside of its relation to the ETHER headphones) for those interested:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/793858/sabre-es9038pro

Apr 4, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #4,227 of 5,796
Is there a good video on how to change the pads on the Ether?
Thanks in advance
I know he had one on YouTube but can't seem to find it I'm sure someone will but it is quite easy. Just start them inside the slot and run your finger inde the pad pushing out a little till the edges go into the slot. Very easy to do.

Apr 5, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #4,228 of 5,796
Thanks in advance

Search mrspeakers on YouTube, we have an Alpha Pad replacement video, exact same process.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 5, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #4,229 of 5,796
Thanks in advance

I know he had one on YouTube but can't seem to find it I'm sure someone will but it is quite easy. Just start them inside the slot and run your finger inde the pad pushing out a little till the edges go into the slot. Very easy to do.

Here's the video, although I do it more like buke9 describes, with my fingers pushing out and over the edge from inside and under the pad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZhhIt1SVXQ

Apr 7, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #4,230 of 5,796
Just Purchased a pair of Ether Flow's from Audio Sanctuary in the UK ( Thanks Phil for the demo)
 As I burn them in using a more standard Head amp and SE adaptor.( Musical Fidelity MX-HPA )The difference between Balanced and single ended is quite marked. Don't Think I would have gone with them single ended,

The Sound Quality from my Auralic Taurus mk2 Balance is incredible in comparison. Feel this will be end of Headphone purchase for a while once the hours of burn in are finished. 250 I have seen  as being optimum ??!!

Did compare against Utopia's ( Did Not find them to my taste for some reason probably limited soundstage and also Pioneer Master which has a  really good SQ but not quite the out of head imaging of the Flows in my opinion and  at +800hrs burn in ,at my age and health I might be dead before I can hear them properly
etysmile.gif

The Flows sound better the higher quality signal you feed them .A sign of a great transducer in my opinion.

Will post more comments in a few weeks after burn in. Ether Flow = HD800 with some balls and no nasty HF resonance  Yes I am thinking so,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back