MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Oct 10, 2016 at 5:50 AM Post #2,326 of 5,796
Would the Valhalla 2 be a good amp to pair this with?

No. It is only really suitable with high-impedance headphones, which these are not.  A Vali 2 + a tube upgrade on the other hand is a great bargain option.

Oct 10, 2016 at 5:51 AM Post #2,327 of 5,796
  Yesterday I listened to both the Ether C and the Ether C Flow in comparison with my portable PM3´s. Ether C always had to less bass, Ether C Flow maybe even has too much now for my taste. But in comparison to the PM3´s I cannot spend so much money for so less sound improvement. I know how it works in the upper class. You pay 5 times more and get a sound improvement on 5 %. And I would have bought them when they would have been really portable, , beacuse I really like their tuning, but alas they are not headphones you can wear in the public or in the underground etc. But this is where I listen to music most, when I´m walking around in the city from A to B. They are far too big on the head. It´s a no go (even if they are really comfortable). So I desided to stay with my PM3´s because they are the only really portable planars (over the ear) that are affordable and bring value for money. But I hope that Dan will work on a smaller can (maybe after the launch of his electrostats). Good luck to him and his team, he has great headphones on the start!

not intending to hype the flow here, but TOTL headphones like ether, hd800s, etc are expensive and like you said, it will not make like heaven and earth difference.
When I bought the ETHER(not the flow), I also think that the price difference was way too big for what I get, but I persevere and keep on listening to the Ether, and 1 day, I went back to pm-3 while on the go, I really felt the difference in quality, still not heaven and earth but definitely more than 5%, definitely noticeable, for me at that time it felt about 40% better than the pm-3.
that was like after a week of using the ether everyday.

The explanation for this I think is maybe because of our ears is so used to the previous can and also still untrained and therefore can't make up much difference, so for someone who just made the jump, some patience is needed in order to appreciate the difference.

just sharing my opinion, because I think if you really like to listen to music, I think you are missing out big time by giving up after 1 listening impression, try to join a headphone tour or have a loaner in for about a week or so to gain more head time.

I hope this is useful hehe ^_^

Oct 10, 2016 at 6:09 AM Post #2,328 of 5,796
not intending to hype the flow here, but TOTL headphones like ether, hd800s, etc are expensive and like you said, it will not make like heaven and earth difference.
When I bought the ETHER(not the flow), I also think that the price difference was way too big for what I get, but I persevere and keep on listening to the Ether, and 1 day, I went back to pm-3 while on the go, I really felt the difference in quality, still not heaven and earth but definitely more than 5%, definitely noticeable, for me at that time it felt about 40% better than the pm-3.
that was like after a week of using the ether everyday.

The explanation for this I think is maybe because of our ears is so used to the previous can and also still untrained and therefore can't make up much difference, so for someone who just made the jump, some patience is needed in order to appreciate the difference.

just sharing my opinion, because I think if you really like to listen to music, I think you are missing out big time by giving up after 1 listening impression, try to join a headphone tour or have a loaner in for about a week or so to gain more head time.

I hope this is useful hehe ^_^

Thanks for your thoughts. It's not that I did't hear the difference and I agree with you, that my ears would appreciate the new tuning after a week or so even more but the point I was trying to make is, that they are not portable enough for me. If I would be searching for cans for home listening I would probably buy open headphones.
So I'm searching for a portable upgrade to the PM3's, but there is none which suits my needs. Maybe the new B&W P9, but they are said to be too bassy and also semi closed, so let's wait and see :wink:

Oct 10, 2016 at 6:52 AM Post #2,329 of 5,796
Thanks for your thoughts. It's not that I did't hear the difference and I agree with you, that my ears would appreciate the new tuning after a week or so even more but the point I was trying to make is, that they are not portable enough for me. If I would be searching for cans for home listening I would probably buy open headphones.
So I'm searching for a portable upgrade to the PM3's, but there is none which suits my needs. Maybe the new B&W P9, but they are said to be too bassy and also semi closed, so let's wait and see :wink:

haha, I think for portable over-ear, pm-3 is about as good as it can get, there are some sidegrades or minor upgrades depending on how you see it that you can find like the p9 that you said or the meze99, I think the only way to upgrade in SQ while being portable is to go the IEM route.

since this is an ether thread, you can check this thread here if you are interested about the meze99.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/794593/meze-99-classics-discussion-impressions-thread

I also think the ether c/flow c is too big for portable use which is why I bought the open one which happened to suit my preference more.

I think pm-3 itself is excellent, with good SQ, foldable feature, and build well.
I sold mine a few days ago(don't know why I did that) and regret my decision 1 day after, I bought meze99 to replace it and waiting for shipment now.

I think it's best to have 2 headphones, 1 for home/office use and 1 for portable.
having 1 headphone for all purpose didn't work well for me as I keep on craving more.

Oct 10, 2016 at 7:19 AM Post #2,330 of 5,796

Not to get too far off topic, but have you tried the Audeze Sine if the ETHER C Flow is too large/expensive? I haven't heard them but they get some high praise from what I've read.

Oct 10, 2016 at 7:25 AM Post #2,331 of 5,796
Not to get too far off topic, but have you tried the Audeze Sine if the ETHER C Flow is too large/expensive? I haven't heard them but they get some high praise from what I've read.

Haven´t tried them either, and don´t want to, because my ears don´t like on-ears :wink:
Seems like I have to take the IEM route ... I didn´t want to, but maybe emptympt is right that this is the only way to upgrade SQ without losing portability. IEM is a whole new universe and I don´t know where to start, but I guess Head-Fi will help me, as always, with that!

Oct 10, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #2,332 of 5,796
So I finally received my C Flows. They sound unbelievable and they're currently burning in. I cannot believe how light and solid they feel. Really a testament to the team at MrSpeakers.

However, I'm curious if any other C Flow owners could weigh in on the carbon fiber. Candidly, I've never owned anything with the material before in my life, but I've noticed that there are about 4-5 little spots on the two cups where the weave is inconsistent or flawed. It certainly will not impact the function, but it does look "off," especially in the context of the otherwise immaculate build quality.

If this is a common issue, I'd love to hear it from you guys and just get back to enjoying these things. Thanks.

Oct 10, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #2,333 of 5,796
Haven´t tried them either, and don´t want to, because my ears don´t like on-ears :wink:
Seems like I have to take the IEM route ... I didn´t want to, but maybe emptympt is right that this is the only way to upgrade SQ without losing portability. IEM is a whole new universe and I don´t know where to start, but I guess Head-Fi will help me, as always, with that!

This is what I did. I've had the Ether C's for over a year now, and love them for home listening. But a lot of my listening is done on the go, and while you *can* take the Ether C's out with you (a number of folks on the Ether C thread do), I agree with you they're a touch too big.

After reading lots of threads on here, and some listening sessions, I went with the JH Angie's universal (v1). A fairly neutral sound signature like the Ether C's, and can be had for good prices with the v2's (full metal jacket version) out for awhile now. I like the combo of Angie's on the go, and Ether C's at home. Hope to listen to the Flows soon!

Oct 10, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #2,334 of 5,796
So I finally received my C Flows. They sound unbelievable and they're currently burning in. I cannot believe how light and solid they feel. Really a testament to the team at MrSpeakers.

However, I'm curious if any other C Flow owners could weigh in on the carbon fiber. Candidly, I've never owned anything with the material before in my life, but I've noticed that there are about 4-5 little spots on the two cups where the weave is inconsistent or flawed. It certainly will not impact the function, but it does look "off," especially in the context of the otherwise immaculate build quality.

If this is a common issue, I'd love to hear it from you guys and just get back to enjoying these things. Thanks.

Carbon fiber is a woven fabric and we use multiple very thin sheets in the layup, because it's a fabric until its cured and because our cup is convex and concave, the weave often contains small areas where it deform. Pm a photo to me if you'd like us to take a look...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 10, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #2,335 of 5,796
flow's family have a lot of success, 3 weeks to wait to buy one... Congrats to the team mrspeakers for your job. The C flow seems terrific (i have already the C 1.1).

Oct 10, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #2,337 of 5,796
Mr Speakers You never really mention how big events go... How did the RMAF go for you guys. I read from Tyll's blog, you and Warren where next to each other in the Rent O Tent... Maybe you need a Dan Bot for the normal questions. .. Please press play...Hi yes this is the New Mr Speakers E....
A selfie I love selfie. .. Cardboard Dan number 4 is now free...:sunglasses:

Oct 10, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #2,338 of 5,796

I've browsed the posts from the last week and didn't see any update. Did I just simply overlook it?

Hi!  Since we were at RMAF I didn't have time, but we have great news.  

The first round of upgrades will be complete this week and it has gone very well, without impacting our normal production.  So there will be no price adjustment and we'll be moving ahead.

We've decided to do a single mass international upgrade first, with headphones to be processed in November.  We're coordinating with our distributors in Singapore, Hong Kong, Japan, Germany and the UK to do the upgrades in November.  We will post soon on how this will work and also our distributors will be reaching out to their local communities to work the logistics.

Due to Christmas load, we will then take a short break on upgrades and resume full upgrades in Jan.  We will do a random selection from the first few hundred respondents who signed up within 24 hours of releasing the newsletter, then take additional upgrades first come first serve.  

beerchug.gif

Mr Speakers You never really mention how big events go... How did the RMAF go for you guys. I read from Tyll's blog, you and Warren where next to each other in the Rent O Tent... Maybe you need a Dan Bot for the normal questions. .. Please press play...Hi yes this is the New Mr Speakers E....
A selfie I love selfie. .. Cardboard Dan number 4 is now free...:sunglasses:

RMAF was a blast.  We had 7 stations running in the pavilion, and also in the low cost audio and Kimber rooms.  Most of Friday and Saturday we had most stations in the pavilion occupied.  The reception for the Electrostatic was really positive, and it was fun to see people checking it out on the Cavalli, Blue Hawaii and new iFi energizer ($1300).  The feedback was really consistent that we'd hit our goal of having a warmer tone without sacrificing detail.  

Here's a photo of the pre-production ES, right now it's all black but the color scheme will change for production, as well as a few other details, but the sound is pretty locked down.  The toughest part, fwiw, of demoing 'stats at a meet is that the noise masks the bass a bit, as they have zero isolation.  We had a few folk who noted "low bass" come back in the AM to check it out, and mostly got changed POVs.  That said, it's a stat, and the bass will never be as "big" as the flows, but on the other hand, the soundstage and clarity of the flows will never quite match the 'stats.  The other objective we had was to NOT sound like a Stax (this isn't meant to be pejorative, rather simply to state that I explicitly was trying to create a different and complementary sound), so from the feedback I think we hit the mark.  

We plan to announce more about this product soon.

We also met our tallest customer, David Robinson, NBA hall of famer.  He already owned C's, now he's got the ETHER Flow.  He's a really nice guy, it was fun watching him work the room, a total gentleman.  

Lot's of great feedback about the Flows and a lot of sales, so all in all it was a great event.  Thanks to everyone for stopping by, and don't forget to share your impressions here.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Oct 10, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #2,339 of 5,796

Hi!  Since we were at RMAF I didn't have time, but we have great news.  

The first round of upgrades will be complete this week and it has gone very well, without impacting our normal production.  So there will be no price adjustment and we'll be moving ahead.

We've decided to do a single mass international upgrade first, with headphones to be processed in November.  We're coordinating with our distributors in Singapore, Hong Kong, Japan, Germany and the UK to do the upgrades in November.  We will post soon on how this will work and also our distributors will be reaching out to their local communities to work the logistics.

Due to Christmas load, we will then take a short break on upgrades and resume full upgrades in Jan.  We will do a random selection from the first few hundred respondents who signed up within 24 hours of releasing the newsletter, then take additional upgrades first come first serve.  

beerchug.gif

Thanks for the update Dan! Quick question for you on this though. Are you considering making any timeline/queue accommodations for those of us that bought old models just a few days/weeks prior to the flow launch?

Thanks as always, loving my open flows btw!!

Oct 10, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #2,340 of 5,796

Thanks for the update Dan! Quick question for you on this though. Are you considering making any timeline/queue accommodations for those of us that bought old models just a few days/weeks prior to the flow launch?

Thanks as always, loving my open flows btw!!

The program gives a discount for people who purchased between May 17 and July 17.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back