MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Oct 7, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #2,281 of 5,796
Done, just have read trough this whole thread in the last couple of days. Am I missing something, I think I didn't read one negative post on the ether flow? Maybe I'm blind for this as the impressions sound terrific for me.
At this time I only got the pm3. Would appreciate a comparison, if someone knows both, even more so both driven by the QP1R

Oct 7, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #2,282 of 5,796
To be more precise: at first I was very interested in both the focals. When reading the focal threads there was sure negative points from people, mostly Elear being good and bad, utopia for most the best overall but for some lacking bass.
But ether flow? Where are the negatives?

Oct 7, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #2,283 of 5,796
Done, just have read trough this whole thread in the last couple of days. Am I missing something, I think I didn't read one negative post on the ether flow? Maybe I'm blind for this as the impressions sound terrific for me.
At this time I only got the pm3. Would appreciate a comparison, if someone knows both, even more so both driven by the QP1R
The only negative thing I can say about them is I don't have them yet ; ) Going to make my C's into open flows when I get the chance.

Oct 7, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #2,284 of 5,796
The only negative thing I can say about them is I don't have them yet ; ) Going to make my C's into open flows when I get the chance.
going to have them is my intention right now too. Forcing me to be a little more patient, listening to impressions, waiting for cons.. Or maybe the hype to move
By the way: there is talk about ether e stat? Does they exist? Future talk? Is there a known price point?

Oct 7, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #2,285 of 5,796
To be more precise: at first I was very interested in both the focals. When reading the focal threads there was sure negative points from people, mostly Elear being good and bad, utopia for most the best overall but for some lacking bass.
But ether flow? Where are the negatives?

As an owner of both the Flow (open) and Utopia I can say the Utopia doesn't really lack bass in comparison. The Utopia is in no way bass anemic or thin sounding. The negative with the Flow, in direct comparison, is the lack of dynamics and punch, resolution and depth compared to the Utopia. The plus with the Flow is a slightly wider soundstage and very smooth presentation. Music just 'flows' and is great for long listening sessions.

Oct 7, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #2,286 of 5,796
As an owner of both the Flow (open) and Utopia I can say the Utopia doesn't really lack bass in comparison. The Utopia is in no way bass anemic or thin sounding. The negative with the Flow, in direct comparison, is the lack of dynamics and punch, resolution and depth compared to the Utopia. The plus with the Flow is a slightly wider soundstage and very smooth presentation. Music just 'flows' and is great for long listening sessions.
thanks for this comparing.
Do you think one of them is easier to drive? I'm searching an open can for my QP1R, solely with this DAP. No desktop amp. Is one of them more depending on an more capable amp?

Oct 7, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #2,287 of 5,796
thanks for this comparing.
Do you think one of them is easier to drive? I'm searching an open can for my QP1R, solely with this DAP. No desktop amp. Is one of them more depending on an more capable amp?

Volume is about the same when driving each. I'd say about 3-4 clicks higher on the Mojo or DAVE for the Flow over the Utopia. Not a huge difference. Both are driven on the lower end of the volume spectrum and fairly easy to drive. You should have absolutely no issue driving these.

Both are revealing of source quality, but the Utopia is much more so, it's also over twice the price.

Edit: For reference I listen at around 75-80 dB average, sometimes turning it up slightly to 'rock out'.

Oct 7, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #2,288 of 5,796
going to have them is my intention right now too. Forcing me to be a little more patient, listening to impressions, waiting for cons.. Or maybe the hype to move
By the way: there is talk about ether e stat? Does they exist? Future talk? Is there a known price point?
I have heard the E stats twice now they are real for sure not sure when they will be ready for sale though. My Ether C's are fantastic with the QP1R I'm sure the Flows will be as well.

Oct 7, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #2,289 of 5,796

I had PM-3(sold) and the original ETHER(mine is being upgraded), comparison is very easy, once you hear the ETHER/ETHER FLOW you will feel that pm-3 lacks clarity, has a small soundstage and the treble is too rolled off.

I think that about sums it up very quickly.

regarding the ELEAR, IMO the super dynamic presentation can be a bad thing as it can startle you sometimes, imagine using this while working, you will get distracted very easily.
sometimes too much can be a bad thing in certain situations.

Oct 7, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #2,290 of 5,796
Got my Ether Flows this week. Breaking them in with a Wywires cord. The one thing I notice different than my Ether Cs is they are even more comfortable. Originally was going for HD 800S as my open premium headphone. Happy so far with open Ether, but they still need time to break in. 

Oct 7, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #2,291 of 5,796
I had PM-3(sold) and the original ETHER(mine is being upgraded), comparison is very easy, once you hear the ETHER/ETHER FLOW you will feel that pm-3 lacks clarity, has a small soundstage and the treble is too rolled off.

I think that about sums it up very quickly.

regarding the ELEAR, IMO the super dynamic presentation can be a bad thing as it can startle you sometimes, imagine using this while working, you will get distracted very easily.
sometimes too much can be a bad thing in certain situations.
how about bass PM 3 and ether?

Oct 7, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #2,292 of 5,796
how about bass PM 3 and ether?

bass on the ether is tighter and more resolving, the mid-bass is good but the sub-bass is rolled off since it is open back design and dynamic could be better(the Flow fixed these problem from what I've read).

the pm-3 feels more dynamic on the bass and has better sub-bass since it is closed, but for me, the bass can sound a bit wooly and not as tight after using the Ether.

the biggest improvement of the ether over the pm-3 is in the mids and treble.

It is an absolutely fine headphone, but the ether is better as it should be considering the price, even more so for The Flow.

Oct 7, 2016 at 8:52 PM Post #2,293 of 5,796
The Ether Flows is in a different league than -3's.

Oct 7, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #2,294 of 5,796
While waiting for my steak after spending whole day at the CanJam in Denver and hearing side by side Flow and Utopia on two different setups I will tell my opinion, which I know is a minority, but I would go with Flow because they have neutral sound with better details retrieval and I don't think that Utopia has better bass either compared to Flow

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Oct 8, 2016 at 12:20 AM Post #2,295 of 5,796
While waiting for my steak after spending whole day at the CanJam in Denver and hearing side by side Flow and Utopia on two different setups I will tell my opinion, which I know is a minority, but I would go with Flow because they have neutral sound with better details retrieval and I don't think that Utopia has better bass either compared to Flow

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Seriously? Both on the same source gear? I am quite surprised you feel this way. From what I'm hearing on my home setup with both cans the Utopia has much better detail retrieval than the Flow. The Flow is great but isn't quite at the same level, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back