MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Sep 21, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #2,116 of 5,796

Me too. I ordered August 30 and am NOT waiting patiently. I already have an Ether C 1.1 and figure it will be December before it gets upgraded. I originally thought I would get a Senn 800S for my open cans, but changed my mind based on Ether comfort and new Flow open performance. I even have my new Wywires Platinum cable waiting to break them both in together.....wine, ....wine ...etc

Would you be kind enough to post a picture of your Platinum cable?  I've been curious about those. Thanks!

Sep 21, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #2,118 of 5,796
I can answer that for the Ether C, at least :) I listen straight out of my 2010 macbook pro at the moment, it's not too bad.  I had the opportunity to try with the Chord Mojo 2 weeks ago and it was noticeably better in detail retrieval, imaging, and frequency response linearity.  Listening out of my laptop is certainly passable, but I think I'm going to grab a Modi Multibit / Jotunheim eventually to see what I'm missing.  I've heard that the Ether C and C Flow can scale quite nicely!

Sep 21, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #2,119 of 5,796
Sep 21, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #2,120 of 5,796
Sep 21, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #2,121 of 5,796
  So I have a Ether C Flow on order with a 10' DUM cable with 1/4" termination.  My amp is currently the modest Creative X7 due to my frequency of gaming at the moment.  However, I'm considering changing my order to a balanced 4-pin XLR DUM cable and simply converting it to a single-ended 1/4" jack with an adapter.

Given the fact that the Ethers are supposed to scale very well, and given the fact that the X7 amp isn't quite the best thing out there, would it be wise to order with the balanced cable so that I could potentially use it on an balanced headphone amp in the future?  It would certainly seem to potentially save me the cost of a new cable, but I'm not in a position to buy a new amp now and I am generally happy with the X7's performance.

For whatever it is worth, I was considering this (https://www.amazon.com/6-35mm-Female-Balanced-Headphone-Adapter/dp/B00KQRN306/ref=sr_1_1?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1474472898&sr=1-1&keywords=4-pin+XLR+feMale+to+6.35+Male#customerReviews) as the adapter.

I have both 1/4 and balanced DUM cable, If I have to choose, I will choose the balance cable all the time.
If you want to buy one for portable use (a bit too big though), just buy the short length 3.5 termination cable, or use an adapter with your XLR, although if you buy an XLR cable, you might want to buy the longer one, hence it is too long for on the go use.

I use adapter to 3.5 on my 1/4 inch all the time, on desktop amp, I'll always use xlr.

Sep 21, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #2,122 of 5,796

Thanks for the input!  They confirmed the change to my order.  

I went a tad bit overboard with my adapter. 
redface.gif

Sep 21, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #2,123 of 5,796
Does anyone use Ether C Flow without any amplifier just portable music player or laptop?
How does it sounds?
The QP1R is fantastic with the C's did not listen to the Flows with it but I'm sure it will also be fantastic .

Sep 21, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #2,124 of 5,796
Sep 21, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #2,125 of 5,796
For anyone with the Ether C / Ether C Flow, how well does it attenuate ambient noises when there is no music playing?

My 1br apartment has a lot of ambient noise (noisy refrigerator and loud A/C) that I find annoying during the few moments of silence between one track to the next on my HD650. I can't hear the outside noises during music playback, but I'm often reminded of the noises around me between songs.

Sep 21, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #2,126 of 5,796
For anyone with the Ether C / Ether C Flow, how well does it attenuate ambient noises when there is no music playing?

My 1br apartment has a lot of ambient noise (noisy refrigerator and loud A/C) that I find annoying during the few moments of silence between one track to the next on my HD650. I can't hear the outside noises during music playback, but I'm often reminded of the noises around me between songs.
They are not really going to isolate every noise but way better than opens to be sure.

Sep 22, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #2,127 of 5,796
How does this headphone compare to the late 2015 Audeze LCD2? I'm considering the Ether Flow for an upgrade. I'm specifically interested in the bass -- it seems like there may be less than the Audeze cans. The LCD-X are an alternative choice if the Ethers end up not quite being what I'm looking for. I'd be very happy with just a touch more bass quantity than the LCD-2 provides.

I would audition them if I could, but Orlando doesn't seem to have any high end audio dealers. As such, I have to rely on impressions.

Sep 22, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #2,128 of 5,796
  How does this headphone compare to the late 2015 Audeze LCD2? I'm considering the Ether Flow for an upgrade. I'm specifically interested in the bass -- it seems like there may be less than the Audeze cans. The LCD-X are an alternative choice if the Ethers end up not quite being what I'm looking for. I'd be very happy with just a touch more bass quantity than the LCD-2 provides.

I would audition them if I could, but Orlando doesn't seem to have any high end audio dealers. As such, I have to rely on impressions.

Take my opinion with a grain of salt, as I am still burning in my Flows. The Ethers are developing a nicely textured bass, still a touch bloomy, and not the level of sub bass my LCD2's had (they were Nov 2015 model). Don't know if this will change, but the LCD's bass seemed slightly punchier (maybe a tiny bit enhanced by an SW22 cable I used with the LCD2's).  I do prefer the better overall balance of the Flows, however. Timbre, instrument placement, and upper mid and treble detail is there in spades, and more natural to my ears with the Flows  As has been noted, the flows have a slight V shape signature, maybe more so than the LCD's.  But I've always liked midcentric phones, and the Flow's mids are not so recessed as to cause me not to love them.  Lastly, there is no comparison when it comes to comfort, the much lighter Ethers win hands down.  Of course, all in my opinion.

Sep 22, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #2,129 of 5,796

It's interesting to compare the LCD-2 because there are so many different versions/variance between them. My 2013 LCD-2.2 actually sound thinner than the ETHER Flow. The Flows mid bass is more prominent as is the midrange in general. The Flow is smoother than my pair of LCD-2, with less grain and more balance up top. YMMV.

Sep 22, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #2,130 of 5,796
  Take my opinion with a grain of salt, as I am still burning in my Flows. The Ethers are developing a nicely textured bass, still a touch bloomy, and not the level of sub bass my LCD2's had (they were Nov 2015 model). Don't know if this will change, but the LCD's bass seemed slightly punchier (maybe a tiny bit enhanced by an SW22 cable I used with the LCD2's).  I do prefer the better overall balance of the Flows, however. Timbre, instrument placement, and upper mid and treble detail is there in spades, and more natural to my ears with the Flows  As has been noted, the flows have a slight V shape signature, maybe more so than the LCD's.  But I've always liked midcentric phones, and the Flow's mids are not so recessed as to cause me not to love them.  Lastly, there is no comparison when it comes to comfort, the much lighter Ethers win hands down.  Of course, all in my opinion.

Thanks for the reply! So, to summarize, I would gain a bit of detail in the high end and lose some sub bass quantity? I'm still a bit new to this hobby overall, and I'm still learning the language. 
smile.gif

Overall, my one complaint about my LCD-2s is that the treble feels a bit rolled off, and a touch more sub bass would be nice. Hence, the Ether Flows and LCD-X are on my radar. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back