MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Aug 26, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #1,726 of 5,796
They're made out of a thicker leather than the Ether pads and Dan said that they aren't "stuffing" the Flow pads. My guess is that the packing slip listed Ether C pads because their inventory system may not have the Flow pads loaded yet, but of course that's just a guess.

Dan answered that here.

I am not sure what he means by not stuffing...

Aug 26, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #1,727 of 5,796
My pair of pads look just like yours.....=( How did your replacement pair turn out btw?

Here's a pic of the difference between L/R pads. I'm not applying any pressure and you can see how the left pad is collapsing quite a bit while the right pad is holding its form.

Update: MrSpeakers is sending me a new pad pair and has notified their QC team to be on the lookout for this to ensure matched pads go out to customers.

My pads look exactly like yours....=( Btw, how did your replacement pads turn out?

Aug 26, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #1,728 of 5,796
Hmm I'll have to email Peter and make sure I don't have the wrong pads on my Ether Flows then. To me they seem pretty much identical to my Ether C pads.

Well, I pulled my Ether C's out and compared thier pads with my Flows.. My C's leather was a little softer and maybe a little thinner (might not be, hard to tell)... The new pads are def a little stiffer but everything different could be explained by the age of the old pads TBH...

Aug 26, 2016 at 8:20 PM Post #1,729 of 5,796
  My pair of pads look just like yours.....=( How did your replacement pair turn out btw?
My pads look exactly like yours....=( Btw, how did your replacement pads turn out?

Bummer, sorry to hear that. So I picked one of the replacement pads that was the closest match to the thicker pad on my Flows. They still don't quite match exactly (one's stitching has very steady, even lines and the other is more.... hand made looking I guess I would say) but it's a lot better.

Aug 26, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #1,730 of 5,796
Well, I pulled my Ether C's out and compared thier pads with my Flows.. My C's leather was a little softer and maybe a little thinner (might not be, hard to tell)... The new pads are def a little stiffer but everything different could be explained by the age of the old pads TBH...

Yeah, actually I have the same observation. Everything about the shape and size is the same with the Ether C 1.1 pads being slightly softer/smoother to the touch. Could be due to wear like you said.

Aug 26, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #1,731 of 5,796
Didn't get an email but I hope they offer upgrades later down the line.  The bass improvement alone is worth it for me on Ether C.  It's the missing ingredient and was fantastic in a brief demo a few weeks back.

Aug 26, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #1,732 of 5,796
  Didn't get an email but I hope they offer upgrades later down the line.  The bass improvement alone is worth it for me on Ether C.  It's the missing ingredient and was fantastic in a brief demo a few weeks back.

They'll be doing more than 40 upgrades, it's just that the first 40 selected are guaranteed the $350/$500 rates. The upgrades after 40 could be the same price or they may go up depending on how the logistics work out.

Aug 26, 2016 at 8:33 PM Post #1,733 of 5,796

They'll be doing more than 40 upgrades, it's just that the first 40 selected are guaranteed the $350/$500 rates. The upgrades after 40 could be the same price or they may go up depending on how the logistics work out.

Yep Brian, that's how I read it too. 

Being one of the "less than a month before the upgrade announced" buyers I hope that Dan also keeps the differential pricing for those of us who were within the window he described. 

Cheers 

Aug 26, 2016 at 9:06 PM Post #1,735 of 5,796
Bummer, sorry to hear that. So I picked one of the replacement pads that was the closest match to the thicker pad on my Flows. They still don't quite match exactly (one's stitching has very steady, even lines and the other is more.... hand made looking I guess I would say) but it's a lot better.

Thanks for the feedback. I will PM Dan when it finally arrives at my place next Wednesday

Aug 27, 2016 at 2:12 AM Post #1,738 of 5,796
At the risk of feeding the hype machine, I dare say, I think I may have finally found my elusive unicorn. Right out of the box, with no burn-in, the open Flows sent my LCD-3Fs away to cower in a corner. More clarity, much more pleasing bass, in a much lighter/comfortable package. Ear to ear smile right now.
biggrin.gif

Aug 27, 2016 at 5:32 AM Post #1,739 of 5,796
I have to say I'm shocked and disappointed about what Mr Speakers did, and what he did is in my believe stealing. Whole concept of this so called “TrueFlow” is based on concept I posted more than year ago 
I’m a huge fan of open source and all those “patent pending” gimmicks really make me angry every time I read about it. I actually remember Mr Speaker “zigzag with fancy name” that I consider one of them. Patents right now are huge issue as some companies basically spam patent office with obvious-known ideas just to get that “patent pending” marketing slogan or block others 
it seems like everything has to be patented right now…

Hi ZGLISZCZ,

I too am a believer in open source and I can have an idea about how bad you must be feeling.

If I may try to help you cope with this,
consider Sennheiser:
Sennheiser has filed 835 patents (I checked on 22.08.2016).
Some count double because they are filed both in Europe and in the US, etc., if we take this into account,
we come down to 390 unique patents.
Although I have much respect for Sennheiser, I can't say the same about their patents,
they seem to try to patent everything that exists, and I think they are doing quite wrong here.
But this is the world we live in.

Back to MrSpeakers:
this is a company and they are in a world where they have to compete 
with other companies like Sennheiser which have a tendency to patent anything they can.
(and the patent offices hardly refuse any patent applications, but grant almost all).
To survive they have to go there too,
and what they have in patents is almost nihil compared to Sennheiser,
and much less obvious compared to the quality of Sennehiser's patent thicket.

and I don't think Sennheiser would have reacted to your post the way MrSpeakers nicely did.
So we have to put this into perspective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back