MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Jul 14, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #61 of 5,796
Would love to hear more thoughts on this as well. I had similar impressions with the Ether C.

The Ether C lacks mid-bass.  Subbass is great once broken in.  The Ether C Flow adds more midbass and mids, filling out the previously "thin" parts of the sound.  It also smooths out the treble appreciably.  I prefer one black pad on the Ether C 1.1 but none on the Ether C Flow.

EDIT - To be clear, it's still not at Ether 1.1 levels of mid-bass.  But it no longer feels thin.  

Jul 14, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #62 of 5,796

The Ether C lacks mid-bass.  Subbass is great once broken in.  The Ether C Flow adds more midbass and mids, filling out the previously "thin" parts of the sound.  It also smooths out the treble appreciably.  I prefer one black pad on the Ether C 1.1 but none on the Ether C Flow.

EDIT - To be clear, it's still not at Ether 1.1 levels of mid-bass.  But it no longer feels thin.  

Thanks, hmm.. so Ether C Flow bass (mid-bass) is between Ether C and Ether C 1.1? I've tried 1.1, it didn't help with the bass issue that I was experiencing... a bit disappointed already.

Jul 14, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #63 of 5,796
DAMN! I literally just bought an Ether C days ago!!!! Would have waited a bit longer for the new version if we had gotten a 'heads up'! In Australia so the possible upgrade is still going to be a very costly one. AND my new headphones have just majorly devalued in the space of less than a week! Just my luck! Not feeling any excitement here, sorry. 

Jul 14, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #64 of 5,796

This. Spot on. 

Jul 14, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #65 of 5,796
DAMN! I literally just bought an Ether C days ago!!!! Would have waited a bit longer for the new version if we had gotten a 'heads up'! In Australia so the possible upgrade is still going to be a very costly one. AND my new headphones have just majorly devalued in the space of less than a week! Just my luck! Not feeling any excitement here, sorry. 
Yes that sucks. Though you have to look at the point of view if they announce something too early and it doesn't work out they can look like fools. Yes it doesn't help with your situation but sometimes progress can suck for some. Still a great headphone.

Jul 14, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #66 of 5,796

We know how that can feel, and so our upgrade program will have a special price for people who purchased within a recent timeframe.  I ask patience that people not ask us for details yet, we have to finish working some details out, especially for international.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jul 14, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #67 of 5,796

We know how that can feel, and so our upgrade program will have a special price for people who purchased within a recent timeframe.  I ask patience that people not ask us for details yet, we have to finish working some details out, especially for international.

Thank you for this, sounds good. I just bought my Ether C's a few weeks ago and was feeling bummed about the timing when I saw this thread. Looking forward to hearing the upgrade details when they're ready!

Jul 14, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #69 of 5,796
Wow, intersting.  OK, been looking at the new Focal 1k cans, the LCD'3's (not the newest, but they are new from the store and about 2 yrs old and a great deal as they need to change to the newest model and the new Flow.  

Those are the three I need to audition,but I have no dealers locally for the Ether's.  For those who've heard the differences in at least the LCD3's and the Flow's what would they be?   Thanks. Pete

Jul 14, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #70 of 5,796
^^ LCD-3 has a thicker/warmer sound. Ether Flow is focused on transparency, tone and speed. They are two very different approaches. 

Jul 14, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #71 of 5,796
Notice to all headphone builders don't make anything new again just keep doing what you have right now and do not build anything else. Yeah right.

Jul 14, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #72 of 5,796

Appreciate the upgrade proposition is very thoughtful and generous, however, I saved for some time to buy the Ether C as it's my first TOTL headphone, AND I am in Australia, so it's not going to be a cheap upgrade that's for sure and then the time spent with the headphones going back and forth around the world.  I totally get there has to be evolution, but I just didn't expect this in a headphone that was just released last year. I think I am just going to have to settle for what I have and try to resist the urge to keep looking for better, (e.g. spend less time on Head-Fi!) Was feeling really good til a read this thread. Totally bummed now but congrats Dan, I am enjoying the C's1.1 very much and appreciating the clarity and detail in recordings that I have never heard before.

Jul 14, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #73 of 5,796
  Thanks, hmm.. so Ether C Flow bass (mid-bass) is between Ether C and Ether C 1.1? I've tried 1.1, it didn't help with the bass issue that I was experiencing... a bit disappointed already.

I think he was saying its between ETHER and ETHER C...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jul 14, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #74 of 5,796
Will an upgraded ETHER be equal to a purpose built ETHER Flow?

Jul 14, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #75 of 5,796
Definitely came out of left field for me. Was expecting the Ether electrostats, actually.

Would love to hear if this has any of the "hardness" in the treble that planars can't seem to shake (to my ears at least).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back