MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Jul 14, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #91 of 5,796
@Stillhart I thought the drivers are also going to be upgraded too since Dan said there's a new 'tuning' back on the first page? 

Have you compared the Ether Flow to anything with the Audeze House sound (LCD X, 3, 4) and if so how would you articulate the differences? 

Jul 14, 2016 at 9:29 PM Post #92 of 5,796
Oh I saw the word Electrostat in the post title and knew they were working on them so I just assumed that's what these were. So this is basically just a tuning upgrade for the Ether's then? Adding more bass?

Jul 14, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #93 of 5,796
  @Stillhart I thought the drivers are also going to be upgraded too since Dan said there's a new 'tuning' back on the first page? 

Have you compared the Ether Flow to anything with the Audeze House sound (LCD X, 3, 4) and if so how would you articulate the differences? 

Don't forget that Dan is an ex-modder so he is used to changing tuning without messing with the drivers. 

I haven't compared the Flow directly to the Audeze's yet.  But they're not really going for the same things with the tuning.  Audeze tends tends to be mid-forward and warm with the LCD 2, 3, 4.  The Ether is going for a more balanced presentation with a bit of a bass boost.  It's definitely a flavor difference; some people will just prefer the house sound of one over the other.  Personally, I prefer the Ether Flow, but I've never much preferred that mid-forward Audeze sound.  

Jul 14, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #94 of 5,796
  Oh I saw the word Electrostat in the post title and knew they were working on them so I just assumed that's what these were. So this is basically just a tuning upgrade for the Ether's then? Adding more bass?

The differences are more than just adding bass, for sure.  You might read some of the more thorough writeups like Ejong's and MattTCG's.

Jul 14, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #95 of 5,796

Are you confident in your ability to differentiate between innovation and planned obsolescence?  Sadly, I don't believe many consumers are.

I don't get your point . Should no one improve there product? Planned obsolescence is not something I would say about Mr.Speaker. Intel is looking years down the road with r&d not so much with a small company.

planned ob·so·les·cence
ˌpland ˌäbsəˈlesəns/
noun

• a policy of producing consumer goods that rapidly become obsolete and so require replacing, achieved by frequent changes in design, termination of the supply of spare parts, and the use of nondurable materials.

Jul 14, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #96 of 5,796

There is an incremental increase in weight, on the order of 15grams. 

I think that's something I could handle for the increased performance. :) Will they also be available at the next Torrance meet, too, for an audition?

Jul 14, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #97 of 5,796

planned ob·so·les·cence
ˌpland ˌäbsəˈlesəns/
noun

• a policy of producing consumer goods that rapidly become obsolete and so require replacing, achieved by frequent changes in design, termination of the supply of spare parts, and the use of nondurable materials.

As per your profile you don't own either so why do you care? If you would rather no one innovate then I don't know what to say.

Jul 14, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #98 of 5,796

planned ob·so·les·cence
ˌpland ˌäbsəˈlesəns/
noun

I think you'd have a stronger point if he weren't still selling the older Ethers.

Jul 14, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #99 of 5,796
Jul 14, 2016 at 9:57 PM Post #103 of 5,796
Jul 14, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #104 of 5,796
so the new driver setup adds 15 grams I think I could live with that, but the question is are new cups on the C Flow any difference in weight vs the C's cups?
are there any differences in impedance and or sensitivity with the Flow vs non Flow Ether's

Jul 14, 2016 at 10:08 PM Post #105 of 5,796

We know how that can feel, and so our upgrade program will have a special price for people who purchased within a recent timeframe.  I ask patience that people not ask us for details yet, we have to finish working some details out, especially for international.

Dan - Thanks for this. Having just purchased the Ether C's a few weeks ago this is good to know. Love the C's to death - they've displaced my LCD-3F's in primary use - but now am jonesing for the C-Flow's. Look forward to the upgrade ASAP, so please pencil my name in. 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back