MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Aug 2, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #737 of 5,796
OK then.  Moving on, I read somewhere that the headband adjustment on the ethers are not real tight and may slip out of adjustment when you put the headphones on or take them off.  Is this something that the members here have experienced?  Thanks!

Unfortunately, I must say 'yes'. My right side keeps slipping all the way down, when on the head. But It hasn't bothered me enough to look at if I simply need to tighten a screw or more tho. So I'm saying 'yes' for the record, but I'm also saying 'meh' about it.

Aug 2, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #739 of 5,796

I generally prefer open headphones over closed ones, however in this case I prefer the Ether C Flow. To me the C has a very even frequency response through the treble while the open Ether Flow has more sparkle and air up top. I generally prefer less treble sparkle, but that's a personal preference. The C has a similar full-bodied midrange as the open version and good bass. I find it hard to find good closed headphones, so perhaps that's why I'm more inclined to choose the closed version in this case.

Thanks for your input. Do you feel the bass of the Ether Flow was lacking in any way compared to the C Flow? That was my main complaint with the Ether O when I tried them awhile back.

Aug 2, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #741 of 5,796
Dan told me a solid 3dB all the way below 140Hz!
Yes the Ether C Flow will rock!

I was afraid they became bass monsters like +6dB That is perfect 
basshead.gif

Aug 2, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #742 of 5,796
  Don't know if this has been asked yet but are the new cups and pads are a must for the complete Flow sound?  I am assuming no because of the Basic Upgrade.  Thanks.

Nope.  They don't affect the sound, this is cosmetic, hence optional.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Aug 2, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #743 of 5,796
I sold Ether C (too bass light) and XC (too muddy) and pre ordered Flow C. Hope it will be my end game closed. The flaw with the Ether C for me was only the bass. Otherwise it kills the XC in every aspect.

Aug 2, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #744 of 5,796
  mmm....part 2 of counter-rant: I understand the "pain" of new owners of the Ether and Ether C. You got sideswiped. NO question about it. Mr. Speakers understood that "issue." That is why a special price was offered to you (if your recent purchase qualifies). Obviously, Mr. Speakers can't please everyone but I believe that Mr. Speakers has already extended the maximum possible accomodation.

I guess the feeling of some is that they should be allowed some time to enjoy their newly-purchased headphones before any new model or revision should be released to the public but that train of thought does not make sense because there will always be a transition to new models or revisions. The Ether was introduced March of 2015. It is now August 2016. I think that is a reasonable time to enjoy the Ether. That is why I almost always choose to purchase near  or as close to the the launch dates or shortly thereafter. It gives me time to enjoy the HP before any new, better, different or revised models hit the market. If you buy well after the launch dates, your risk of being sideswiped increases.

My advice:

1. Familiarize yourself with the upgrade cycles of different Headphone companies. Examples: Sennheiser introduced the HD 800 in 2009. It was revised only in 2015. That is a fairly long upgrade cycle. Mr. Speakers has a far shorter upgrade cycle. Do the same for others. Once you've done your homework,  plan accordingly.

You can time your upgrade purchase.

2. If your Ether or Ether C is fairly new or recently purchased, you can delay upgrading to the Flow versions. Don't feel pressured to upgrade  if you are not ready for it. Enjoy your Ether and Ether C to the max. AFAIK, there is no deadline for the upgrade program (except for a possible price increase in the future).

You have time to enjoy.

3. You can skip the Flow upgrade or the Flow version and WAIT for a new Mr. Speakers model.  We already know that Mr. Speakers will be introducing the Ether E (e-stat).

You have time to contemplate.

4. Delaying your upgrade  (from one headphone model to another) has its advantages. The new model or revised model costs more than its EOL predecessor and there's a good likelihood that the old model  will be discounted by the manufacturer and/ or the dealer trying to clear inventory.  That is real savings. One personal example: I bought the Grado PS 1000, just shortly before the dealer began selling the PS 1000 E and I ended up getting close to 50% discount off the old model.

Time is your wallet's best ally in this hobby.

It is a pity that I like the sound of planars so much. But I will never buy a headphone from MrSpeakers and Hifiman (and Audeze due to the frequent driver failures) again because of their incredibly short upgrade cycles. Buying their headphones and upgrades is simply a waste of money in my opinion. To Dan and Fang: wake up! You are alienating your customers!

Aug 2, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #745 of 5,796

It is a pity that I like the sound of planars so much. But I will never buy a headphone from MrSpeakers and Hifiman (and Audeze due to the frequent driver failures) again because of their incredibly short upgrade cycles. Buying their headphones and upgrades is simply a waste of money in my opinion. To Dan and Fang: wake up! You are alienating your customers!

Actually, he is not alienating his customers. Most of his customers appreciate it. 

Some do not, but some people will complain about anything. 

Aug 2, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #746 of 5,796

Actually, he is not alienating his customers. Most of his customers appreciate it. 

Some do not, but some people will complain about anything. 

Are you serious? Why not build a headphone that is up-to-date for at least a few years? Take Sennheiser for example. They started with the HD800 in 2009 and made a first small update in 2015 with the HD800S. In contrast, if one buys the flagship headphone from MrSpeakers and Hifiman, it is outdated only one year later!​

Aug 2, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #747 of 5,796

Come on. It's not like your "old" headphone is all over a sudden a bad or outdated headphone. Everyday I am enjoying my Ethers and if I would be fine listening to them for a looooong time to come. Bottomline it still is a awesome headphone! Just go to a shop and listen to a beats headphone and you will realize how amazing the "old" ethers are.

What would you rather have? A company that makes the latest and greatest available as soon as the technology is ready or a company that keeps it from the market for as long as possible just to be able to make the most money from the older technology? For me, I prefer the first especially when I do not need to completely throw away the product I recently bought, but an option for upgrading is offered.

So, thanks Dan for offering the upgrade and put me on list for one.....

Scanspeakman

Aug 2, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #748 of 5,796

Are you serious? Why not build a headphone that is up-to-date for at least a few years? Take Sennheiser for example. They started with the HD800 in 2009 and made a first small update in 2015 with the HD800S. In contrast, if one buys the flagship headphone from MrSpeakers and Hifiman, it is outdated only one year later!​

In fairness, not many companies can be Sennheiser. Mr. Speakers is a fraction of that company. But the great thing is what he is able to offer. World class sound at a very reasonable price. So if you compare Ether Flow to hd800S (and I have) the Flow is the better headphone both technically and musically speaking. 

Also, this is nothing new from Dan and the team at Mr. Speakers. This is in fact his pattern if you've followed him at all. This was a discovery based on the Ether stat project. What would you have him do? Not incorporate it into Ether and leave it as is? Still a damned good hp. But to not share this would be a crime IMHO. 

Mr. Speakers is able to move much faster than Sennheiser ever will...

Aug 2, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #749 of 5,796
I sold Ether C (too bass light) and XC (too muddy) and pre ordered Flow C. Hope it will be my end game closed. The flaw with the Ether C for me was only the bass. Otherwise it kills the XC in every aspect.

I respectfully partly disagree with your assessment.

I'm sure the Ether C flow will be very good, but its not like a TOTL planar like the Ether C or LCD-XC will become obsolete overnight because of a slightly newer version of the Ether. I don't expect the difference to be THAT dramatic. At this price point, you have to pay big bucks to just squeeze the extra 10-15% of performance out and that's not only for headphones.

What Amp/DAC to do you use?

I think the quality of the Ether C's bass is very good and its speed is outstanding for a planar. But it lacks in bass quantity, punch and richness to its sound. It can sound thin, which is why I only listen to it with tubes which fills it out nicely. 

The tuning pads of the 1.1 Ether C improve areas of the spectrum but trades off in other areas. The 1.1 stock tuning is the most balanced sounding to my ears... I have tried 2 different high end cables as well and keep going back to the DUM I ordered my Ether with. 

But I would hardly categorize the LCD-XC as muddy.

The original early revision LCD-2s and early Non-Fazor veiled LCD-3s... those cans would be more fitting of sounding "muddy". But even my very late revision Non-Fazor LCD-3s don't sound muddy. Dark and laid back? Yes. But I don't find them muddy. And the XC has more top end energy than the aforementioned headphones including their updated versions.

The LCD-XC has great clarity and extension with a good quality OCC Copper cable.

All headphones sound different and it takes 5-10 minutes for your ears to re-adjust. Especially if you were to go from something like the HD800 or Ether to an Audeze or Grado.

I think headphones in the $1300-3000 segment... all sound very good with specific strengths (and weaknesses), but each can has its own unique presentation to sound reproduction. I think it's more about preference than one being that much better or worse than another.

I have had the privilege to own and hear many headphones in this class over the years.

I prefer the Ether C's imaging, speed, sound stage and comfort to the LCD-XC by a wide margin.

But on the other hand the XC is very musical, with excellent bass and a more intimate sound signature.

The Ether C is great for vocal and acoustic type music but for jazz, electronic, rock and modern music (Bulk of my library) I reach for the LCD-XC if I need to listen to a closed phone... usually late evening listening sessions.

If the Ether C flow is a hybrid of the LCD-XC and Current Gen Ether C's strengths (in a perfect world), then it could very well be the ultimate closed back planar headphone!

Let us know how you like the Ether C flow when you get it!!

I'm torn whether to sell my Ether C and just buy a new Flow or just wait for the upgrade availability and then determine which closed planar I'd like to keep, the XC or the Ether C flow!

Aug 2, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #750 of 5,796
Well the possibility to upgrade is a positive, agreed. But for 500 USD + shipping? Moreover, how could I find out if the update would be worth it, over here in Europe? This may look different from an US-American enthusiast point-of-view. Dan is a nice person, I met him this year in Munich. But I do not like the incredibly short upgrade-cycles. Would you buy a high end car knowing that probably within a year a facelift would occur? Probably not, because the "old" model would immediately be worth considerably less. That exactly is the case here too, again and again. This is not so important if a headphone costs 400 USD. But at 2k? Not with me. And now I will shut up and will leave this thread for those in praise of this new incredible Innovation. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back