MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
May 13, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #4,951 of 5,796
Hey everyone,

I have a pair of Ethers, with angled pads. I LOVE these headphones, but feel like they are missing "something".. maybe some oomph? idk.. would it help to try a different pad like the flat or electrostat one? If so what do you guys recommend? Obviously I would love to get the flow mod done eventually but cannot at the moment. Is changing the pads going to help? I also see you can upgrade the foam to 1.1, would this change anything? I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks :)

I'd consider using something like the Schiit Loki if you can.

Don't wait too long with the upgrade, they won't be available anymore after August 30th.

May 13, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #4,952 of 5,796
I'd consider using something like the Schiit Loki if you can.

Don't wait too long with the upgrade, they won't be available anymore after August 30th.

I will definitely look into it. That is too bad it won't be available after August 31st :frowning2:. Would you say the upgrade is worth the $350 price tag?

Last edited:
May 13, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #4,953 of 5,796
I will definitely look into it. You mean that the ether flow upgrade won't be available in the future after August 30th? Is the upgrade worth the $350 price tag?
Correct, that was announced in the newsletter. I have never had the original Ethers, so I don't know. With some effort you should be able to find many reports on that in this thread, though. Same about pads. I have only tried the ES pads, and they definitely don't increase the bass, at least to my ears.

May 14, 2018 at 2:45 AM Post #4,955 of 5,796
If you want a brighter voicing you can always remove the ear pads and pull out one or both damping materials under the pad. It’s a reversible mod as long as you don’t damage the pads.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
May 14, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #4,956 of 5,796
If you want a brighter voicing you can always remove the ear pads and pull out one or both damping materials under the pad. It’s a reversible mod as long as you don’t damage the pads.

Great! Thank you for the suggestion :) do you have instructions for removal of the earpads?

Last edited:
May 16, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #4,958 of 5,796
Great! Thank you for the suggestion :) do you have instructions for removal of the earpads?

Just reach under the pad, pinch from both sides to pull gently outwards from the baffle, once the pad is slightly off the mounting ring it just pops off.

Which pads are available for ether flow?, asaide of E PADS

ETHER Flow pads and original flat ETHER pads.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
May 16, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #4,959 of 5,796
Just reach under the pad, pinch from both sides to pull gently outwards from the baffle, once the pad is slightly off the mounting ring it just pops off.

ETHER Flow pads and original flat ETHER pads.

Thank you! Just curious, how does the 1.0 foam compare to the 1.1 for ether opens? what are the sound differences? I am going to try removing the foam to open up the sound a lil more but wanted to see if changing the foams would also be a good option. thanks!

May 16, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #4,960 of 5,796
I am awaiting my new either flow C which should arrive tomorrow. Very excited!

May 17, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #4,961 of 5,796
I have had my Ether Flows for a year and a half now, love the headphones but there isn't a day (when I use them with my home stereo) that I don't regret ordering the longer DUM cables. I didn't realize when I got them just how short the standard cables are. Fine for sitting at a desk I suppose, I never do that, or with my faithful QP1R sitting beside me, but not when I am plugging into my living room stereo rack.
Plus, as good as the DUM cables sound, they are a bit stiff.
So, anyway, If anyone has a recommend for a supple 10' $250 cable that can equal the DUM cable for sound quality (with Mr Speakers style headphone jacks and 4 pin XLR termination) I'd love to hear it. Or, if anyone here wishes they had the shorter DUM cable I have I'll trade ya mine and $50 plus pay shipping.
I imagine I'll end up buying a 10' DUM cable but I don't know what is out there. Thanks

May 17, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #4,962 of 5,796
I have had my Ether Flows for a year and a half now, love the headphones but there isn't a day (when I use them with my home stereo) that I don't regret ordering the longer DUM cables. I didn't realize when I got them just how short the standard cables are. Fine for sitting at a desk I suppose, I never do that, or with my faithful QP1R sitting beside me, but not when I am plugging into my living room stereo rack.
Plus, as good as the DUM cables sound, they are a bit stiff.
So, anyway, If anyone has a recommend for a supple 10' $250 cable that can equal the DUM cable for sound quality (with Mr Speakers style headphone jacks and 4 pin XLR termination) I'd love to hear it. Or, if anyone here wishes they had the shorter DUM cable I have I'll trade ya mine and $50 plus pay shipping.
I imagine I'll end up buying a 10' DUM cable but I don't know what is out there. Thanks

As I needed balanced cables to use with ether c flow, I recently bought silver-plated cables from this seller. 2.5m one is priced only around $120.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Cores-5n-Hi-end-Headphone-Upgrade-Cable-for-Mr-Speakers-Ether-Alpha-Dog-Prime/112477464922?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=412862822921&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

You can request XLR termination, and it took about 10 days to arrive. To my ears, it is more resolving than the stock DUM cable, and I prefer this.

Last edited:
May 17, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #4,963 of 5,796
To be honest I think you will struggle to find a better cable for $250 at 10'. I have a Toxic Cables Silver Widow 22v2 for my Ether Flows and at 8ft it was $900... Not sure it is really worth the extra but it looks nice and is more flexible haha!

May 17, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #4,964 of 5,796
As I needed balanced cables to use with ether c flow, I recently bought silver-plated cables from this seller. 2.5m one is priced only around $120.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Cores-5n-Hi-end-Headphone-Upgrade-Cable-for-Mr-Speakers-Ether-Alpha-Dog-Prime/112477464922?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=412862822921&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

You can request XLR termination, and it took about 10 days to arrive. To my ears, it is more resolving than the stock DUM cable, and I prefer this.

wow good find! thanks for this

Users who are viewing this thread

Back