MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Jan 2, 2017 at 12:36 AM Post #3,361 of 5,796
If this is not advisable because it starts endless discussions than fine, let's close the discussion here, no problem at all.

^This, sad, as so many people who are just considering and trying to learn about "cables" never venture into the sound science forum so they really only get one perspective on the subject. Still, in the end, it is a hobby and if the use of specialty cables enhances ones perception of pleasure in the hobby well indeed, go for it and enjoy.

Jan 2, 2017 at 3:45 AM Post #3,362 of 5,796

totally up to you, and depends on your use case.

I have an Ether Flow, but I already have the meze 99 classic for my closed back and it performs well.

as the SQ difference, there are some but in my opinion the open one sounds better, so I might not use the C much if I happen to have both, or maybe vice versa in your case.

It is an expensive headphone so I wouldn't buy one if it's not gonna be used a lot.

I don't want to end up with two headphones that sound almost identical. That would be a waste of money. I want to have one really good open and one really good closed HP.

Jan 2, 2017 at 5:30 AM Post #3,364 of 5,796
  ^This, sad, as so many people who are just considering and trying to learn about "cables" never venture into the sound science forum so they really only get one perspective on the subject. Still, in the end, it is a hobby and if the use of specialty cables enhances ones perception of pleasure in the hobby well indeed, go for it and enjoy.

beerchug.gif

PS: Have you received your Z1Rs?

Jan 2, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #3,365 of 5,796

beerchug.gif

PS: Have you received your Z1Rs?

Not yet, very difficult to this point despite having paid back in early November, but it should be resolved soon I believe. Cheers.

Jan 2, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #3,366 of 5,796
  I want to put this out there one more time for comment:

Owning the Ether C Flow, would it be too redundant to also by the non-C Flow? 

I'm considering selling off my other HPs and pare down to those two, but I wouldn't want to be in a position where the two I have left sound so similar I can't really tell them apart.

I think it really comes down to how much you like that sound signature. If you consider Ether flow to be "end game" (which is obviously subjective to the individual) and you want a closed for isolation and an open for its benefits then go for it. If its not the only sound sig you love then i would get another can to compliment it. In the shop there is a ton of headphones and i honestly love a lot of sound signatures. It just took time letting my brain adjust to them all which let me enjoy their strengths. I'm curious to hear what other headphones you would sell to get 2 Ethers? i dont want to get off topic here so pm if you want.

Jan 2, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #3,368 of 5,796
I'm quite decided to go ahead when the hype's been somewhat calmed down with a couple of end-game headphones, those are the Ether Flows for the opens and the Sony Z1R for the closed. Both to be paired with my NOS11. :)

Enviado desde mi H1

Jan 2, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #3,369 of 5,796
  I think it really comes down to how much you like that sound signature. If you consider Ether flow to be "end game" (which is obviously subjective to the individual) and you want a closed for isolation and an open for its benefits then go for it. If its not the only sound sig you love then i would get another can to compliment it. In the shop there is a ton of headphones and i honestly love a lot of sound signatures. It just took time letting my brain adjust to them all which let me enjoy their strengths. I'm curious to hear what other headphones you would sell to get 2 Ethers? i dont want to get off topic here so pm if you want.

I think we're still on topic, if only just. Who knows but others may have similar considerations in relation to the Ethers (C and non-C).

I do love the sound signature of the ECF and I'd really like to have the open version too. I would sell my Grado GS1000i and Beyer T5p to get them. That would simply be a financial move because I still like those two HPs a lot. The other option I'm considering is getting a used Audeze LCD-3 to complement the ECF and in that case I'd sell the Grado and keep the Beyer. In my opinion, the ECF does everything the Grado does only better. The Beyer sounds different enough that I really should keep it. I haven't even broken it in yet.

Jan 2, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #3,370 of 5,796
I'm quite decided to go ahead when the hype's been somewhat calmed down withva couple of end-game headphones, those are the Ether Flows for the opens and the Sony Z1R for the closed. Both to be paired with my NOS11.
smily_headphones1.gif

Enviado desde mi H1

That is the headphone combination I currently own :D Really a fantastic complement to each other.

On a different note anyone have a suggestion as to how I can reduce the sound of my glasses rubbing against the leather ear pads? It doesn't happen on the Z1R which I think is because the pads are much more mat in finish, is there any way I could reduce the gloss of the finish on the Ether Flow pads as this is literally my only problem with them! 
tongue.gif

Jan 2, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #3,371 of 5,796
Note to myself: decided that the DUM cable is good enough so i have ordered a Viablue T6s 3.5 mm jack from Germany and i will do the adjustments and soldering myself and saved lots of money :grin:

Why not use an adapter? I'm asking seriously because I've always wondered if adapters compromise the sound a little bit and it sounds like you are going through a lot of trouble to avoid using one. You could also just buy a DUM cable terminated in 3.5mm and you're avoiding that too—do you consider the Viablue to trump even that option?

Jan 2, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #3,373 of 5,796
I'm quite decided to go ahead when the hype's been somewhat calmed down withva couple of end-game headphones, those are the Ether Flows for the opens and the Sony Z1R for the closed. Both to be paired with my NOS11.
smily_headphones1.gif

Enviado desde mi H1

That is the headphone combination I currently own :D Really a fantastic complement to each other.

On a different note anyone have a suggestion as to how I can reduce the sound of my glasses rubbing against the leather ear pads? It doesn't happen on the Z1R which I think is because the pads are much more mat in finish, is there any way I could reduce the gloss of the finish on the Ether Flow pads as this is literally my only problem with them! 
tongue.gif

If you're wearing them ONLY at home, you can use a bit of band-aid to get rid of that squeaking sound. It's not that cool and fancy but it works at least to me at a 100%.

Cheers.

Enviado desde mi H1

Jan 2, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #3,374 of 5,796
smily_headphones1.gif

Enviado desde mi H1

May I ask which dac-amp do you pair them with?

Thx.

Jan 2, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #3,375 of 5,796
I think we're still on topic, if only just. Who knows but others may have similar considerations in relation to the Ethers (C and non-C).

I do love the sound signature of the ECF and I'd really like to have the open version too. I would sell my Grado GS1000i and Beyer T5p to get them. That would simply be a financial move because I still like those two HPs a lot. The other option I'm considering is getting a used Audeze LCD-3 to complement the ECF and in that case I'd sell the Grado and keep the Beyer. In my opinion, the ECF does everything the Grado does only better. The Beyer sounds different enough that I really should keep it. I haven't even broken it in yet.
That is funny if you said that last week I would made a offer on the Grados I haven't heard the i's but the GS 1000's I just loved. Still haven't made up my mind to upgrade my C's to Open Flows yet. I love my C's but like the Open Flows just a bit more. I'm going to wait till CanJam SoCal to decide. Have a pair of AKG K872's coming tomorrow to see if I want to keep my C's and just buy the flow Open .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back