MrSpeakers Ether CX - $899 from Massdrop
Sep 29, 2018 at 8:32 AM Post #46 of 744
Depends on which DAP. The Alpha Primes (hardest to drive of MrSpeaker's creations) went medium-loud on my phone at max volume. These CX's should be louder out of a DAP, which should be workable (but maybe not ideal). It should work okay but unless the sensitivity of these headphones is shown, and you know the max output of your DAP someone might be able to tell you for sure.
I am currently using the Opus#2 dap. I was curious to know because I read "ETHER CX is 2-3dB more efficient" on the massdrop page but didn't realize that that was in comparison to the Aeon not the original ether... so never mind.

Sep 29, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #47 of 744
Sep 29, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #48 of 744
The plot thickens: Modification announced for Ether Flow and Ether C Flow:

http://headphone.guru/mrspeakers-ether-flow-1-1-and-ether-c-flow-1-1-the-best-gets-better/

So, is this tuning going to be on the CX? It retails for $29 - looks like almost nothing in parts (a couple of stickers). So the only reason to NOT put this on the CX would be to hobble it so it doesn't steal sales from the high-priced models.

Wow. If you have paid any attention to us over time you would obviously know we don’t work that way.
We always try to give users a path forward to improve their headphones if there is an easy path and we encourage modders.

The CX has its own rear damping system and the response differs, but nothing keeps anyone from trying this or other external mods. The CX is also compatible with our other ETHER pads so you can pad roll. I encourage playing around with outside damping for those who are interested if you do it right it’s reversible and fun.

And for the record I never “hobble products.” AEON uses 100% of our ETHER Flow tech at 45% of the price, it’s just a smaller driver and cost reduced hardware. CX has much more expensive hardware than AEON and a fresh retuning of its own.

Last edited:
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Sep 29, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #49 of 744
Wow. If you have paid any attention to us over time you would obviously know we don’t work that way.
We always try to give users a path forward to improve their headphones if there is an easy path and we encourage modders.

The CX has its own rear damping system and the response differs, but nothing keeps anyone from trying this or other external mods. The CX is also compatible with our other ETHER pads so you can pad roll. I encourage playing around with outside damping for those who are interested if you do it right it’s reversible and fun.

And for the record I never “hobble products.” AEON uses 100% of our ETHER Flow tech at 45% of the price, it’s just a smaller driver and cost reduced hardware. CX has much more expensive hardware than AEON and a fresh retuning of its own.

Dan, can you rank for me which headphones have the greatest bass response in terms of quantity? From my understanding the Ether c flow has more than the ether c, but the CX has more than that?

I’ve owned the aeon open and closed and liked the bass on the open a lot. I felt that was a nice amount of bass. Where do those 2 rank with the ethers?

I’m trying to see if I’d like the cx or Ether c flows more

Sep 29, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #51 of 744
Sometimes it’s hard to answer which has more bass, in part because this changes with volume or genre of music, as bass covers a few octaves. I haven’t figured out a good way to explain this or matrix it out because there are more variables than just output at 60hz, for example.

The AEON tuning sometimes has more bass to my ear at lower SPL but at higher the ETHERs move more air with the bigger driver and have more heft even though they all have flat response to below 10 he. Aeon open is probable the warmest of the lot.

Last edited:
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Sep 29, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #52 of 744
Man this is tempting. I REALLY like my AFC’s and the thought of a better AFC is very appealing. Unfortunately I’ve gotta save up some more play money before I drop $900 on another pair of phones. With any luck this will come around on MD again.

Sep 29, 2018 at 5:47 PM Post #53 of 744
Man this is tempting. I REALLY like my AFC’s and the thought of a better AFC is very appealing. Unfortunately I’ve gotta save up some more play money before I drop $900 on another pair of phones. With any luck this will come around on MD again.

Well the drop is 270 units and so far they're sold about a hundred. Will be interesting to see if the drop sells out. If it starts looking like they might not hit the 270 number I'm hoping they might get a pair into a reviewers hands early to help things along.

Sep 29, 2018 at 6:57 PM Post #54 of 744
Usually theud have a pair out for review already though .
Well the drop is 270 units and so far they're sold about a hundred. Will be interesting to see if the drop sells out. If it starts looking like they might not hit the 270 number I'm hoping they might get a pair into a reviewers hands early to help things along.

Sep 30, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #56 of 744

Just give one to Zeos and I'm sure the drop will sell out the day his video is out :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back