MrSpeakers Ether CX - $899 from Massdrop
Sep 26, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #31 of 744
It sounds like the Ether CX is a technical improvement on the AFC. Better imaging, wider soundstage, refined FR, open sound. That's impressive for a closed back can.

Sep 27, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #32 of 744
Hi @Jodet ! Thanks for starting a thread...really appreciate your interest.
The name of the new version is a long one: Massdrop x MrSpeakers Ether CX Closed.
To make it easier for people to search and find, any chance you could update the title of the thread to "Ether CX"?
Let me know if you have any other questions! We'll have a couple of final samples that we can tour soon.
Also, I will try to have them with me at RMAF in case you see me and want to try...Dan too, I believe!

Sep 27, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #33 of 744
The name of the new version is a long one: Massdrop x MrSpeakers Ether CX Closed.
To make it easier for people to search and find, any chance you could update the title of the thread to "Ether CX"?
Let me know if you have any other questions! We'll have a couple of final samples that we can tour soon.
Also, I will try to have them with me at RMAF in case you see me and want to try...Dan too, I believe!

Will the tour be available to Canadians? If so will you have two or three headphones going simultaneously with one dedicated to certain regions?

Sep 27, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #34 of 744
A tour sounds fabulous. Can I get in on it??

Sep 27, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #35 of 744
Sign me up for that tour please :)

Sep 27, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #36 of 744
Hi there! We're all really excited to be doing the ETHER CX. If you have any questions, I'll be monitoring the thread... Cheers!

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Sep 28, 2018 at 5:00 AM Post #37 of 744
If I had a little more cash available to spend I would get these; the tuning changes sound exactly like what the original ether c I had needed. Fingers crossed the drop lasts a while :) I was wondering though, if the increased efficiency on the cx would be enough to drive these well enough from a dap over the original? never mind, didn't realize the increased efficiency was in comparison to the aeon, not the ether c.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2018 at 5:09 AM Post #38 of 744
If I had a little more cash available to spend I would get these; the tuning changes sound exactly like what the original ether c I had needed. Fingers crossed the drop lasts a while :) I was wondering though, if the increased efficiency on the cx would be enough to drive these well enough from a dap over the original?
Depends on which DAP. The Alpha Primes (hardest to drive of MrSpeaker's creations) went medium-loud on my phone at max volume. These CX's should be louder out of a DAP, which should be workable (but maybe not ideal). It should work okay but unless the sensitivity of these headphones is shown, and you know the max output of your DAP someone might be able to tell you for sure.

Sep 28, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #40 of 744
This will be my first truly high-end set of cans (I have modded t50rps, Custom Open Alphas and my He-4xx, and some others, but nothing on this level). The Ether Cs have been my dream for a long while now, but Im not a fan of bright headphones. This drop seems to be perfect. Ether Cs, not as bright, and cheaper. I am ecstatic. Little bummed there will be such a delay, but we all know Dan is the type of guy who doesn't let a single detail past his gaze, I think it should be worth the wait.

I think $899 is a good tag.
I desperately need a new GPU, Im still running an old gtx 670 on my high-end Ryzen rig, I was planning on a 2080ti....... yeah no. So Im putting money towards a slightly more of an investment.

@CEE TEE @mrspeakers Any thoughts on including a basic bag for the cans themselves in the box? I see there's a cord bag (which is actually arguably more important to me anyways). If not, my mother only lives a couple hours away and is a professional seamstress heh.

Sep 29, 2018 at 2:29 AM Post #43 of 744
what sound signature will cx have

how would it compare to lcd2c or lcdx , I know its not released yet but what is the expectation

also how come on mrspeaker website the c flow is out of stock is something new coming out to replace it, how would the cx compare, reading graphs not always can be interpreted to real experience

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back