MrSpeakers Ether CX - $899 from Massdrop
Dec 7, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #736 of 744
Hello everybody,

I ve just bought a drop x mister speakers c headphones, closed back . Bon, out of the box, i can say it s not to my taste, very thin and flat to my ears, the kind of headphone which would need a serious EQ . On the other hand the cable is very basic too , in order to get it " right " less thin, more bass , more fun , because now ...no pleasure at all . Lot of details sure , nice soundstage , but very very flat sounding though .

Where do i have to begin in order to get them better ? upgrades, pads , cables ? Any suggestions ? A " Resumé " would be very appreciated

Merci !
I agree with all of these suggestions. I also want to put out the option to upgrade/side-grade your amp to an amp that delivers a lot of bass. A few I can think of......

1) Ifi Pro iCAN. I'm sure the Signature version of this amp will give you the same bass.
2) HeadAmp GS-X mk2

Dec 7, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #737 of 744
I ve just bought a drop x mister speakers c headphones, closed back . Bon, out of the box, i can say it s not to my taste, very thin and flat to my ears, the kind of headphone which would need a serious EQ
Hi, I received mine last week as well and I have mixed feelings as well... Bass is shy so to say but it is not really missing. Nevertheless, it does not have the right slam when is needed.
For the time being I let it "burn in", it's only 6 hours, then I will judge it properly. But it does a lot of things very well. Cable could be a step forward to see what this headphone is capable of but as of today it's still too much new.
Yesterday I listened to a Chopin SACD, a great recording, and nothing was really missing, a really good listen but right after I moved to Steely Dan's Two Against Nature and bass was really shy, that record has a very powerful kick drum signature that was missing. Then with some orchestral records again the bass was ok or at least not perceived as missing. So, again mixed feelings and results. To be continued...

ah, forgot to mention... source is Pioneer PD-D9J SACD player, amplifier is Violectric HPA V280, all cables Nordost Blue Heaven

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2023 at 8:39 AM Post #739 of 744
These have an old school “diffuse field” style tuning, which is basically neutral in the mids and treble but lacking bass. I would add a bass shelf at around 100hz of about 6db (adjust to taste)
The bass is reasonable, but definitely not overwhelming (as is the modern style). I haven't had to EQ these at all.

These continue to be my favorite closed back headphones (I use these in the office), and it's not even close.

Dec 8, 2023 at 8:42 AM Post #740 of 744
The bass is reasonable, but definitely not overwhelming (as is the modern style). I haven't had to EQ these at all.

These continue to be my favorite closed back headphones (I use these in the office), and it's not even close.
If you prefer a bass-light sound signature, that's fine, but these are not anywhere neutral in the bass department. They make HD600 sound like bass cannons.

Dec 8, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #743 of 744
I would definitely say that's an exaggeration. The HD600 has less tangible bass and sub-bass extension.
less subbass for sure, but unless we’re talking EDM, subbass is only a fraction of perceived bass. I’d say HD600 has a perceptually higher bass balance than ether cx. Definitely quite a bit more midbass at least.

Dec 11, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #744 of 744
DCA bass also varies a lot by seal, so it’s possible you get a better seal than I do.
That must be it, because my HD600's (from Drop, FWIW) are pretty tame for bass compared to my Ether C's (not from Drop).

But the Ether C's are definitely NOT bass heavy. They seem very natural sounding to me (and they have since I first tried them), but I don't really stop and think about it, either.

(For bass heavy planars, it's hard to beat the inexpensive, fun, and a-bit-too-heavy Monoprice M1060C.)

If it makes any difference, I mainly use these with a Woo WA5 amp and an Denafrips Ares II DAC. And I also really like my Grados, which everyone here pans as having sibilance issues (I've never encountered that). And I'm a musician with excellent hearing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back