MrSpeakers Ether CX - $899 from Massdrop
May 12, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #497 of 744
You really do live in the middle of no place. I wish I could live in a place like that. I grew up on a cow farm in South Carolina and love open space etc. I have to live near a city because of my job. I am a video game artist. :) I am now modeling airports all over the world for flight sims so pilots can train on in full motion sims.

Heh, I live on a mountain in BC, so not so open, but the views out my front window are definitely something else

May 12, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #498 of 744
Heh, I live on a mountain in BC, so not so open, but the views out my front window are definitely something else
Post a pic. I would love to come fishing up in BC. Fly fishing on a river and it's quiet and just nature.... Ya sound perfect.

May 12, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #499 of 744
May 12, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #500 of 744
Check out these pads. Wow a huge change than the box style from stock.

https://danclarkaudio.com/shop/accessories/ear-pads/ether-electrostat-ear-pads.html
Those are for Dan's electrostats. Not sure if they will fit the ether series, you could shoot them an email and ask.

On the Yaxi Alcantaras, I think the pads will make as much of a difference, and probably more so, than a new amp. Very much worth it. Although, my ears were touching the driver with the stock pads which I hated. If the stock pads are comfy for you you may not see it as a huge upgrade like I do. Personally though, I think Dan Clark should consider the Yaxis as his new stock pads :)

One more tip: I'm wearing them with the stitch up and swapped the sides. So, the pad I used to have on the right is now on the left and vice-versa. There is less pressure on my jaw now. Comfort is 100% perfect. If you get them experiment like this to get the best fit!

May 12, 2020 at 7:54 PM Post #501 of 744
Those are for Dan's electrostats. Not sure if they will fit the ether series, you could shoot them an email and ask.

On the Yaxi Alcantaras, I think the pads will make as much of a difference, and probably more so, than a new amp. Very much worth it. Although, my ears were touching the driver with the stock pads which I hated. If the stock pads are comfy for you you may not see it as a huge upgrade like I do. Personally though, I think Dan Clark should consider the Yaxis as his new stock pads :)

One more tip: I'm wearing them with the stitch up and swapped the sides. So, the pad I used to have on the right is now on the left and vice-versa. There is less pressure on my jaw now. Comfort is 100% perfect. If you get them experiment like this to get the best fit!
It says "For ETHER and ETHER Flow owners (the pad is not compatible with ETHER 2)" I wonder the ones you got or these would sound better? These are a lot more.

May 14, 2020 at 1:38 PM Post #504 of 744
I have some brainwavz on the way...... Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut they are going to take a LONG time heh

I got the XLs. So the might make the bass a bit boomy. I'll see how they are and try to add some noise deading foam on the inside of the cup to hopefully control some reflections

May 14, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #505 of 744
I have some brainwavz on the way...... Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut they are going to take a LONG time heh

I got the XLs. So the might make the bass a bit boomy. I'll see how they are and try to add some noise deading foam on the inside of the cup to hopefully control some reflections
Let us know how the Brainwavz sound! And the fit, they are wider and thicker than the Yaxi.

After some time with the tuning filters and with the Yaxi's thick side on top and bottom, I've settled on the two-notch white filters and the thick side on the bottom. This gives me, personally, the best comfort and sound. I also noticed that you can install the filter on the driver, under the pad, for a cleaner look.

EDIT on June 5th: I did email Yaxi about the thick side on the top or bottom:
"We recommend the thick side at the top.
However, I think it's good that users choose the one you like."

Last edited:
May 14, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #507 of 744
Let us know how the Brainwavz sound! And the fit, they are wider and thicker than the Yaxi.

After some time with the tuning filters and with the Yaxi's thick side on top and bottom, I've settled on the two-notch white filters and the thick side on the bottom. This gives me, personally, the best comfort and sound. I also noticed that you can install the filter on the driver, under the pad, for a cleaner look.

With giant pads like the brainwaves or the Voce pads I'd imagine you have to put the filters behind the pad. I've asked Can Clark audio a few times now if they could just throw some of the felt on the cutter to fit the slot better but they said no every time heh.

My guess it's a stamp style cutter, meaning they'd need to make a whole new stamp. Unless they use the laser cutter, but I'm not sure

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back