MrSpeakers Ether CX - $899 from Massdrop
Aug 6, 2020 at 11:12 PM Post #526 of 744
Any chance it could be the amp? My Jotunheim developed a potentiometer issue leading to an imbalance that I could only hear with planar headphones. For some reason the easier to drive dynamics didn't have a noticeable imbalance. That initially led me to believe one of my Dan Clark Audio headphones had an imbalance, but it ended up being the amp.

You know, it could be. I have a Jotunheim after all.

After letting burn in for 8 hours or so, they are starting to fill in, and they are now sounding much better than my old pair. So Im happy with the sound. But that in balance is there. Ill have to go to my Dad's place and test some of his amps. I just moved and only have my Jot atm

Aug 10, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #527 of 744
I got the ZMF Universe Lambskin pads in the mail today. Damn, these pads are amazing! I thought because the stock pads are flat these angled pads would not fit but they are perfect, even better fit than the Yaxi's.

Why oh why did Dan Clark put those damn thin flat pads on the Ether CX?! I think all of the complaints about this headphone would be resolved with a pad upgrade. ZMF Universe Lambskin > Yaxi Alcantara >> Stock.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2020 at 7:53 PM Post #528 of 744
I got the ZMF Universe Lambskin pads in the mail today. Damn, these pads are amazing! I thought because the stock pads are flat these angled pads would not fit but they are perfect, even better fit than the Yaxi's.

Why oh why did Dan Clark put those damn thin flat pads on the Ether CX?! I think all of the complaints about this headphone would be resolved with a pad upgrade. ZMF Universe Lambskin > Yaxi Alcantara >> Stock.

I love flat pads over angled personally

If I had to guess, I'd imagine it's an echo thing. Having the thinner flat pads gives you a bit more detail and less reverb in the ear side.

That's just my guess talking from t50rp modding. It would be interesting to know the actual details behind it though

Sep 20, 2020 at 3:09 AM Post #532 of 744
Got a set of these a couple of days ago. They are absolutely amazing. My reference closed cans were Focal Elegia. I don't love the Elegia build/comfort but really liked the the SQ. It also had a set of AFO and LOVED their build and comfort. I'm working from home a bit more these days and so have been using the closed cans through the day. I occured to me that I really should have the AFC as my comfy all-day work cans and the Elex as my open cans, not the AFO/Elegia combo. So I started looking for some AFC but a great deal came up on these locally...

The Ether CX is not quite as comfortable as the AFO, the extra weight is noticable. But the build is still much nicer to me on the Ethers than the elegia. But the SQ of the CX is incredible. The only thing the Elegia does better is dynamics. The CX has better sound stage, resolution and imaging. I think the CX retrieves more detail too and it does it more effortlessly. What I mean by that is the Elegia feels like it's really desperate to put detail right in your face and sacrifices timbre to achieve it. It's like the 6XX v HE4XX, it always amuses me when people say the 4XX has better detail retrieval than the 6XX, it doesn't (it's not a bad headphone though), it just gives that surfaace impression because of it's less natural timbre IMO. The CX v Elegia is a simlar comparison I think. The Elegias are great headphones. I just think the CX exposes all their flaws.

I don't find them sterile or boring at all. I'm using them without any inserts and with a Lavri solid silver cable. I'm still experimenting with the them but my feeling at this point is they don't need the inserts. I have a schiit Loki though, so I can tweak things with that if some recordings need it. Source gear is Eitr>Mimby>A90. I think the A90 is a MUCH better match for the CX than the Elegia, so bear that in mind.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2020 at 2:00 AM Post #533 of 744
Got a set of these a couple of days ago. They are absolutely amazing. My reference closed cans were Focal Elegia. I don't love their build/comfort but really liked the the SQ. I also had a set of AFO and LOVED their build and comfort. I'm working from home a bit more these days and so have been using the closed cans through the day. I occured to me that I really should have the AFC as my comfy all-day work cans and the Elex as my open cans, not the AFO/Elegia combo. So I started looking for some AFC but a great deal came up on these locally...

The Ether CX is not quite as comfortable as the AFO, the extra weight is noticable. But the build is much nicer to me on the Ethers. But the SQ of the CX is incredible. The only thing the Elegia does better is dynamics. The CX has better sound stage, resolution and imaging. I think the CX retrieves more detail too and it does it more effortlessly. What I mean by that is the Elegia feels like it's really desperate to put detail right in your face and sacrifices timbre to achieve it. It's like the 6XX v HE4XX, it always amuses me when people say the 4XX has better detail retrieval than the 6XX, it doesn't (it's not a bad headphone though), it just gives that surfaace impression because of it's less natural timbre IMO. The CX v Elegia is a simlar comparison I think. The Elegias are great headphones. I just think the CX exposes all their flaws.

I don't find them sterile or boring at all. I'm using them without any inserts and with a Lavri solid silver cable. I'm still experimenting with the them but my feeling at this point is they don't need them. I have a schiit Loki though, so I can tweak things with that if some recordings need it. Source gear is Eitr>Mimby>A90. I think the A90 is a MUCH better match for the CX than the Elegia, so bear that in mind.

Ahh a man of culture I see, I too like it without the filters and while I have a silver cable... I kinda don't want to use it? It just does so much perfectly fine exactly as it is... I don't really need or want it to do better honestly... maybe one day I might get an extra silver cable for it... but for now I'm perfectly content with it

Still I agree, it's an excellent closed back and does a LOT right. I use mine daily and exclusively when editing

Dec 4, 2020 at 7:27 AM Post #534 of 744
Thinking again about getting these... One thing I'm wondering if how smooth the top end is on these exactly? Is it as smooth as a HD600 or is it more analytical?
My ideal headphone has a dead flat bass and mid-range with a gently recessed treble. Not easy to find this in the planar world. My Quad Era-1 is a bit too v-shaped in its stock form.
I feel like the neutral profile + closed soundstage of the Ether CX could be a hit for me for an affordable price (I just can't justify something like the Abyss Dianas...)

Dec 4, 2020 at 8:07 AM Post #535 of 744
Thinking again about getting these... One thing I'm wondering if how smooth the top end is on these exactly? Is it as smooth as a HD600 or is it more analytical?
My ideal headphone has a dead flat bass and mid-range with a gently recessed treble. Not easy to find this in the planar world. My Quad Era-1 is a bit too v-shaped in its stock form.
I feel like the neutral profile + closed soundstage of the Ether CX could be a hit for me for an affordable price (I just can't justify something like the Abyss Dianas...)
It's been awhile since I owned these, but basing on memory, reviews and your preference these should be a good choice for what you are seeking.

Dec 4, 2020 at 9:07 AM Post #536 of 744

I really enjoy CX it does have that flat base the mids are also pretty linear with the stock pad in the stock insert I wouldn't say the trouble is gently recessed but it's not very peaky and doesn't really have too much bite

so I switched to full silver and removed the stock insert which gave them a little bit of bite up top, my point in stock forum they were not quite energetic enough for me so it sounds like they're exactly what you want

I would say it's a bit more analytical than the HD 600 but not too drastically so

Dec 4, 2020 at 2:23 PM Post #537 of 744
Maybe it was earlier in this thread when Dan Clark was answering questions and providing inputs--he mentioned he focused on the vocals when tuning the ECX. Vocal tracks do sound superb in my experience using these.

Dec 6, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #538 of 744
I really enjoy CX it does have that flat base the mids are also pretty linear with the stock pad in the stock insert I wouldn't say the trouble is gently recessed but it's not very peaky and doesn't really have too much bite

so I switched to full silver and removed the stock insert which gave them a little bit of bite up top, my point in stock forum they were not quite energetic enough for me so it sounds like they're exactly what you want

I would say it's a bit more analytical than the HD 600 but not too drastically so
Thanks for your detailed answer, that's very helpful. It sounds like they might work for me indeed but I'm a bit wary of the top end, maybe something a bit darker would fit my tastes more. But it's nice that you can tune the signature a bit to your likings.

Dec 7, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #539 of 744

I think the CX would suit you. I've never heard the HD600 but own a HD6XX. The CX has a similar tonality to the 6XX, maybe a touch brighter on brightly recorded tracks. When I first got the 6XX, I had prep'd some coin-modded foams but decided they didn't need them. I don't use any inserts on the CX. I do use EQ on them sometimes.

But the best feature of the CX IMO is its smoothness/relaxed presentation. I've been thinking about this recently. A lot of the reviews of the CX are critical of it being boring. But I love that about it. It just has this beautiful, effortless presentation of detail, like the HD6xx in its price range. Never fatiguing. I think a lot of folks in our hobby have been conditioned to look for detail in the form of sharpness, they miss detail when it's presented more smoothly. The CX is a perfect example IMO.

Dec 7, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #540 of 744
I think the CX would suit you. I've never heard the HD600 but own a HD6XX. The CX has a similar tonality to the 6XX, maybe a touch brighter on brightly recorded tracks. When I first got the 6XX, I had prep'd some coin-modded foams but decided they didn't need them. I don't use any inserts on the CX. I do use EQ on them sometimes.

But the best feature of the CX IMO is its smoothness/relaxed presentation. I've been thinking about this recently. A lot of the reviews of the CX are critical of it being boring. But I love that about it. It just has this beautiful, effortless presentation of detail, like the HD6xx in its price range. Never fatiguing. I think a lot of folks in our hobby have been conditioned to look for detail in the form of sharpness, they miss detail when it's presented more smoothly. The CX is a perfect example IMO.
Exactly. It's a bit like in photography where people are so used to pixel-peeping that they forget to look at the big picture. It's very easy to be impressed by a sharp/bright headphone but once you take a step back, you realize this is not how music is supposed to sound. I really like well balanced headphones because they make you forget about bass and treble peaks, and let you focus on the music instead. Anyway, thanks for your comment. The CX is in my shortlist for a potential upgrade :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back