MrSpeakers Ether CX - $899 from Massdrop
May 9, 2020 at 4:16 AM Post #481 of 744
Perfect fit! They attach the same way the stock pads do; there is a little piece of the pad the wraps around the headphone. No glue or snapping anything in place.

The more I listen to them the more I like them. I'm loving the improvement in soundstage. It's dramatic, the sound went from a bit "in your head" to expansive. I recommend these as a must-buy for Ether CX owners I won't be going back to the stock pads.

Will definitely give them a try, thank you so much.

May 9, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #482 of 744
Perfect fit! They attach the same way the stock pads do; there is a little piece of the pad the wraps around the headphone. No glue or snapping anything in place.

The more I listen to them the more I like them. I'm loving the improvement in soundstage. It's dramatic, the sound went from a bit "in your head" to expansive. I recommend these as a must-buy for Ether CX owners I won't be going back to the stock pads.

Just checked and saw they have different Alcantara pads for different headphones. Which one you use?

Last edited:
May 9, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #483 of 744
Just checked and saw they have different Alcantara pads for different headphones. Which one you use?

The one for the Fostex 900 / 610. These pads also fit Hifiman.

One more thing: I'm thinking these are supposed to fit with the thickest side on top now. I rotated the pad 180 degrees which took some pressure off of my jaw. They feel even better now.

Last edited:
May 9, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #484 of 744
The one for the Fostex 900 / 610. These pads also fit Hifiman.

One more thing: I'm thinking these are supposed to fit with the thickest side on top now. I rotated the pad 180 degrees which took some pressure off of my jaw. They feel even better now.
They have this to show you how they should fit on the site. Not sure if they would fit the CX the same way but I would think so.

https://www.yaxi.jp/product-gallery/th900-610/how-to-install/

May 9, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #485 of 744
They have this to show you how they should fit on the site. Not sure if they would fit the CX the same way but I would think so.

https://www.yaxi.jp/product-gallery/th900-610/how-to-install/
Thank you!!!

I did notice that the sound isn't as good with the thick side on top.

EDIT on June 5th: I did email Yaxi about the thick side on top or bottom:
"We recommend the thick side at the top.
However, I think it's good that users choose the one you like."

Last edited:
May 10, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #487 of 744
I used to own a Jotunheim. Mine was one of the early ones with the grouding issues and I sold it long ago. Schiits sorted that out though. They are great amps but the DAC cards are so-so. For $100 I'd rather buy a Modi 3 it has better THD+N numbers than the card.

Check out the performance reports Schiit provides. Magni Heresy performs about as well as the Jotunheim, but Jotunheim gives you the powerful balanced headphone out and XLR out to powered monitors. Whether that's worth the $300 premium is up to you.

Also noteworthy is the THX AAA 789 just got a price drop to $300. A 789 and black Modi 3 would be a great combo I'd buy that over a Jotunheim.

Last edited:
May 10, 2020 at 9:39 PM Post #488 of 744
I used to own a Jotunheim. Mine was one of the early ones with the grouding issues and I sold it long ago. Schiits sorted that out though. They are great amps but the DAC cards are so-so. For $100 I'd rather buy a Modi 3 it has better THD+N numbers than the card.

Check out the performance reports Schiit provides. Magni Heresy performs about as well as the Jotunheim, but Jotunheim gives you the powerful balanced headphone out and XLR out to powered monitors. Whether that's worth the $300 premium is up to you.

Also noteworthy is the THX AAA 789 just got a price drop to $300. A 789 and black Modi 3 would be a great combo I'd buy that over a Jotunheim.
I been looking at the THX AAA 789. I put my Focal headphones up for sale. Go get them lol :) .

May 11, 2020 at 12:21 AM Post #489 of 744
THX AAA 789 pairs very well with a good DAC source. To optimize it, I max out the volume on the THX amp which receives the balanced input from an RME ADI-2 and control the volume from the DAC to take out any interference from the amp's voltage potential adjustments. It powers the Ether CX nicely and the bass has improved over time.

May 11, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #490 of 744
THX AAA 789 pairs very well with a good DAC source. To optimize it, I max out the volume on the THX amp which receives the balanced input from an RME ADI-2 and control the volume from the DAC to take out any interference from the amp's voltage potential adjustments. It powers the Ether CX nicely and the bass has improved over time.
I want to get the THX AAA 789 and maybe the Grace dac. And run full balanced.

May 11, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #491 of 744
Something tells me that the Ether CX would pair really well with the 789 and a DAC like the Denafrips Ares.

May 11, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #492 of 744
Ok I been looking into this dac/amp. Anything interesting about it?

Got mine used from a Head-Fier, it's a pre bad grounding fix model (I don't hear any 60hrz buzz for the record at all in any way). I'll do the mod and see if it makes a difference or not

I upgraded from my Magni 2u/Modi 2u. Mostly because I wanted to try balanced. Im not sure if I noticed the balanced or not, but it was a rather big upgrade either way. Way bigger than I expected to be honest. Same gap is say from my motherboard audio, to my Asus sound card, to my old Schiit Stack.

I've heard from others the Ether CXs pair VERY well with tubes. Which I could see with the slightly laid back super natural sound the Ethers have

I know nothing about the 789 other than the million glowing reviews.
Maybe pair it with a Geshelli balanced DAC.

Wish I could be more use in that regard, I live generally in the middle of nowhere, so unless I want to shell out my own money to buy some sources or I have to drive 8 hours to Calgary or 8 hours to Vancouver heh

May 11, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #493 of 744
Got mine used from a Head-Fier, it's a pre bad grounding fix model (I don't hear any 60hrz buzz for the record at all in any way). I'll do the mod and see if it makes a difference or not

I upgraded from my Magni 2u/Modi 2u. Mostly because I wanted to try balanced. Im not sure if I noticed the balanced or not, but it was a rather big upgrade either way. Way bigger than I expected to be honest. Same gap is say from my motherboard audio, to my Asus sound card, to my old Schiit Stack.

I've heard from others the Ether CXs pair VERY well with tubes. Which I could see with the slightly laid back super natural sound the Ethers have

I know nothing about the 789 other than the million glowing reviews.
Maybe pair it with a Geshelli balanced DAC.

Wish I could be more use in that regard, I live generally in the middle of nowhere, so unless I want to shell out my own money to buy some sources or I have to drive 8 hours to Calgary or 8 hours to Vancouver heh
I have a CTH+SDAC from Drop. It has a tube that ads a lot to the sound. I love tubes they are not a perfect sound but that is what makes them great they can add so much to sound from being warm etc. The THX 789 is absolutely neutral and when I could hear it at a friend house the sound was spot on. I really want try to hear this headphone with a Dark Voice tube amp. I am playing the song Set Me Free by Avenged Sevenfold and wow this headphone is so accurate and I can hear everything. I am using Tidal with Master quality. You really do live in the middle of no place. I wish I could live in a place like that. I grew up on a cow farm in South Carolina and love open space etc. I have to live near a city because of my job. I am a video game artist. :) I am now modeling airports all over the world for flight sims so pilots can train on in full motion sims.

Last edited:
May 12, 2020 at 2:05 AM Post #494 of 744
Hybrid tube amps like the one you own are great with the Ether CX but I'd strongly advise against an OTL tube amp like the Dark Voice. OTL tube amps are best with high impedence headphones, something in the 250 to 600 ohm range. The CX is the total opposite kind of driver you'd want to pair with a Dark Voice.

May 12, 2020 at 8:08 AM Post #495 of 744
Hybrid tube amps like the one you own are great with the Ether CX but I'd strongly advise against an OTL tube amp like the Dark Voice. OTL tube amps are best with high impedence headphones, something in the 250 to 600 ohm range. The CX is the total opposite kind of driver you'd want to pair with a Dark Voice.
I did say try lol. A friend has a dark voice. I know all about them being bad with true tube amps. Want to see how bad.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back