MrSpeakers Ether CX - $899 from Massdrop
May 2, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #466 of 744
Do not sale the CX just have a collection of headphones. :)
Ha! I like to keep my collection at a few pairs, just what I need. Right now I have the HD6XX, HD58X, Ether CX and Etymotic ER4P. I've tried pairs from Audeze, Hifiman, Fostex, Focal, ZMF, Beyerdynamic, Grado etc but have settled on this line-up as my end game at any price point (at least for the time being!). The rest of my money goes to music or wine or savings :)

Well I just bought Alcantara Yaxi Pads to help with comfort, I'll report what I think of them.

May 2, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #467 of 744
Ha! I like to keep my collection at a few pairs, just what I need. Right now I have the HD6XX, HD58X, Ether CX and Etymotic ER4P. I've tried pairs from Audeze, Hifiman, Fostex, Focal, ZMF, Beyerdynamic, Grado etc but have settled on this line-up as my end game at any price point (at least for the time being!). The rest of my money goes to music or wine or savings :)

Well I just bought Alcantara Yaxi Pads to help with comfort, I'll report what I think of them.
Where did you find the pads?

May 2, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #469 of 744
Last edited:
May 2, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #470 of 744

Nope sale the Etymotic ER4P and keep the CX. :) Stay with the CX....well unless they are the 50k headphones and tube amp made by God and put together by elves from Lord of the Rings and some how brought to Earth that I had to hear at a show in ATL. Ya go Sennheiser. Then yes sale the CX. Lol

Last edited:
May 6, 2020 at 6:14 PM Post #471 of 744
People that have the Ether CX or other Mr. Speaker headphones what tuning pads and combos you like to use? I am liking the two notch white and the think black one. Also how much did the sound change from new to after burn in after 200hrs? I have the CTH+SDAC from Drop driving my headphones. What amp and dac you use I am looking into other things to drive them.

Last edited:
May 6, 2020 at 6:55 PM Post #472 of 744
People that have the Ether CX or other Mr. Speaker headphones what tuning pads and combos you like to use? I am liking the two notch white and the think black one. Also how much did the sound change from new to after burn in after 200hrs? I have the CTH+SDAC from Drop driving my headphones. What amp and dac you use I am looking into other things to drive them.

I use black felt by itself.

For burn in the bass slowly got more meat to it, it felt more free I guess

I'm using a schiit jotenhiem

May 6, 2020 at 7:43 PM Post #474 of 744
I use black felt by itself.

For burn in the bass slowly got more meat to it, it felt more free I guess

I'm using a schiit jotenhiem
How does the CX sound on the schiit jotenhiem? I wonder how much better etc it would sound to what I am using to drive mine now.

May 6, 2020 at 8:05 PM Post #475 of 744
How does the CX sound on the schiit jotenhiem? I wonder how much better etc it would sound to what I am using to drive mine now.

I can't really make comparisons, I don't have much experience with different sources unfortunately.

I will say it is MILES better then even my modi 2u and magni 2u. I'm not sure if it's more power (I don't think so since the magni isn't really a slouch to begin with).
And I haven't had a bad pairing with my CX, they generally play nice with and source imo. My $200 does alright, I still have a positive experience.

So I can't be much help, but it's the type of headphone that will scale as far as you want with sources.

May 6, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #476 of 744
I can't really make comparisons, I don't have much experience with different sources unfortunately.

I will say it is MILES better then even my modi 2u and magni 2u. I'm not sure if it's more power (I don't think so since the magni isn't really a slouch to begin with).
And I haven't had a bad pairing with my CX, they generally play nice with and source imo. My $200 does alright, I still have a positive experience.

So I can't be much help, but it's the type of headphone that will scale as far as you want with sources.
Well it's ok. My daughters face when I put them on her and I turned on the song... Priceless lol 😂
IMG_20200506_190604_kindlephoto-26593869.jpg

May 6, 2020 at 8:34 PM Post #477 of 744
This song on these headphones... Yep. This song has such a deep story. I know many active and ex military people. Any songs you like hearing?

May 8, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #478 of 744
I just got the Yaxi Alcantara pads in the mail. So far so good! They are thick enough to completely separate my ears from driver.

The alcantara feels nice but not as nice at the Shure 1540 pads. Still comfy and feels good on my skin. Especially good is how breathable the alcantara is, my ears do not get hot at all

I like they way they sound too. Pushing the ear further from the driver seems to have taken a little bite off of the treble and increased soundstage. No tuning pads needed with these..
Bass has a bit more slam too. I'm terrible at describing mids but Arianda Grande sounds as sweet as ever! The finger snaps in NASA sound more separated in the mix, a good thing.

Only downside is that the clamp pressure increased. It's not too much though and the headphone is more comfortable vs stock overall. I took the leather strap off and gently bent the nitinol back a little but I'm not sure if that did anything, the nitinol is tough.

One more note is that while these are angled, the angle is from bottom to top not back to front. I align the stich on the pad with the vent on top of the headphone. Not a complaint just something I haven't seen before.

I'd recommend these pads I'm happy with my purchase!

Last edited:
May 8, 2020 at 10:14 PM Post #479 of 744
I just got the Yaxi Alcantara pads in the mail. So far so good! They are thick enough to completely separate my ears from driver.

The alcantara feels nice but not as nice at the Shure 1540 pads. Still comfy and feels good on my skin. Especially good is how breathable the alcantara is, my ears do not get hot at all

I like they way they sound too. Pushing the ear further from the driver seems to have taken a little bite off of the treble and increased soundstage. No tuning pads needed with these..
Bass has a bit more slam too. I'm terrible at describing mids but Arianda Grande sounds as sweet as ever! The finger snaps in NASA sound more separated in the mix, a good thing.

Only downside is that the clamp pressure increased. It's not too much though and the headphone is more comfortable vs stock overall. I took the leather strap off and gently bent the nitinol back a little but I'm not sure if that did anything, the nitinol is tough.

One more note is that while these are angled, the angle is from bottom to top not back to front. I align the stich on the pad with the vent on top of the headphone. Not a complaint just something I haven't seen before.

I'd recommend these pads I'm happy with my purchase!

Any problems mounting the pads? Do they fit nicely?

May 9, 2020 at 12:24 AM Post #480 of 744
Any problems mounting the pads? Do they fit nicely?
Perfect fit! They attach the same way the stock pads do; there is a little piece of the pad the wraps around the headphone. No glue or snapping anything in place.

The more I listen to them the more I like them. I'm loving the improvement in soundstage. It's dramatic, the sound went from a bit "in your head" to expansive. I recommend these as a must-buy for Ether CX owners I won't be going back to the stock pads.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back