MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
May 16, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #4,006 of 4,813

Alex at WyWires has offerred to make whatever adapters my customers have needed for their Ethers and others. Unless he's too busy working on thse new Platinum cables, I'm sure he could help 
atsmile.gif

I would definitely be interested in a balanced cable that could be used with the HD800 and the Ether-C..

May 16, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #4,007 of 4,813
Planning a business trip from Sweden to Dallas with a 2-day stop in New York. Where can I try the Ether C in NYC? Is it possible to buy the DUM cable in store or only through Mr Speakers?
Sweden! Underbar! So are the Supra cables popular there? I'm sold on them. I just hope I wasn't Sold on them.

May 16, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #4,008 of 4,813
  Sweet, sounds like enough folks are getting these to fit that I should try them out myself.

Just wanted to assure you, after seeing these pics I messed some more - the pads are way more stretchy than they looked at first and I got them on without a problem once I manhandled them. :)  Initial impressions so far are that they're slightly less crisp and slightly less bass than before. Still really good though. I've just EQ'd in a little more low end. The head clamp is stronger but the ear pressure seems better than before. I won't know until I test it more tomorrow during my work day. Will report back then, but so far so good.

May 18, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #4,009 of 4,813
Day two using the new pads. Yesterday I used them about 8 hours, today so far about 4 hours. I've been playing a mix of vocal/acoustic, alt rock, synth alt, and a little classical. The lower bass holds to be true, it's not as impactful. I've EQ'd in a bit, which does help. Still not quite as good as the lambskin. Everything sounds a tad more distant and less distinct as well. Not dramatic though, and still better than other closed cans I've heard. One aural benefit I detect is the stage sounds slightly bigger and more open, which makes sense. Since I come from a realm of open Sennheisers this suits me pretty well. The clamp pressure is definitely higher, but not too bad on my oversized sconce. The ear holes are small, so my ears tend to be bent slightly inside there, and they do get a fair bit hotter than the OEM pads. My ears feel noticeably hot when I remove the cans. Overall it's fixed the pressure issues without compromising the sound very much, so I'd call it a win. Still using just TP mod and no inserts.

On a different note I am having the problem with the sizing sliders moving over the course of a few days. Probably due to the size of my head, but if it gets worse I'll have to contact Dan about it. The carrying case has come in handy, although I'd recommend sewing in the velcro part of the netted "pouch" - my velcro is coming unstuck and falling off. Also I would suggest looking at moving this "pouch" toward the headphone cans themselves and away from the headband. You could then make the headband part much thinner and turn that into a handle. Carrying the carrying case is awkward, to put it mildly. :)

May 18, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #4,010 of 4,813
  Day two using the new pads. Yesterday I used them about 8 hours, today so far about 4 hours. I've been playing a mix of vocal/acoustic, alt rock, synth alt, and a little classical. The lower bass holds to be true, it's not as impactful. I've EQ'd in a bit, which does help. Still not quite as good as the lambskin. Everything sounds a tad more distant and less distinct as well. Not dramatic though, and still better than other closed cans I've heard. One aural benefit I detect is the stage sounds slightly bigger and more open, which makes sense. Since I come from a realm of open Sennheisers this suits me pretty well. The clamp pressure is definitely higher, but not too bad on my oversized sconce. The ear holes are small, so my ears tend to be bent slightly inside there, and they do get a fair bit hotter than the OEM pads. My ears feel noticeably hot when I remove the cans. Overall it's fixed the pressure issues without compromising the sound very much, so I'd call it a win. Still using just TP mod and no inserts.

On a different note I am having the problem with the sizing sliders moving over the course of a few days. Probably due to the size of my head, but if it gets worse I'll have to contact Dan about it. The carrying case has come in handy, although I'd recommend sewing in the velcro part of the netted "pouch" - my velcro is coming unstuck and falling off. Also I would suggest looking at moving this "pouch" toward the headphone cans themselves and away from the headband. You could then make the headband part much thinner and turn that into a handle. Carrying the carrying case is awkward, to put it mildly. :)

great! Glad you are enjoying yourself. Did you try tightening the screws on the sliders?

Also, sorry if you already said, but which pads are you using?

May 18, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #4,012 of 4,813

great! Glad you are enjoying yourself. Did you try tightening the screws on the sliders?

Also, sorry if you already said, but which pads are you using?

I'm using the same pads you have, couldn't find the other ones for sale this side of the pond, and the overseas sites wouldn't ship here! Rotters. I've tried tightening the screws, but not super tight. They hold for awhile but seem to loosen over a few days. 

May 18, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #4,013 of 4,813
Does anyone know how does the Ether C compares against the T5p 2nd gen?

I've only compared with the first gen T5P but I don't think they're as bass light as some people claim. My pair have decent bass at least, and I would say it probably has more mid bass/body than my Ether C. Really bright metal/grunge is more tolerable on the T5P for me.

For about everything else though the Ether C trounces the T5P. The soundstage is just on a completely different level.

May 18, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #4,014 of 4,813

Does anyone know how does the Ether C compares against the T5p 2nd gen?

I've only compared with the first gen T5P but I don't think they're as bass light as some people claim. My pair have decent bass at least, and I would say it probably has more mid bass/body than my Ether C. Really bright metal/grunge is more tolerable on the T5P for me.

For about everything else though the Ether C trounces the T5P. The soundstage is just on a completely different level.

I'm not so sure about the sound stage. Some would say the only headphone that bests the T1 for soundstage is the HD800.  I only have a T1 gen 1, and I feel it has fantastic sound stage, and is more comfortable (to me) than the Ether C. The Ether C is just the best closed headphone out there. Everything is extremely clear on the Ether C. The Gen 2 is darker (or less bright) than the T1 gen 1, so it might be darker than the Ether C. I think the Ether C is similar to the T1 gen 1, but with better bass on the Ether C.

They are both excellent headphones, but there are trade offs that only you can determine the value of. The T1 has velour pads; the Ether C has lambskin. The T1 is semi-open, the Ether C is closed, so the Ether C isolates better, but the T1 may sound more airy. The Ether can be tuned to reduce the treble, but it can also be tuned to let a lot of treble through. The T1 Gen 2 cannot be tuned. Tuning is irrelevant to the T1 if you like the sound.

I would say the Ether C is more versatile since it's closed, but has great sound stage, can be tuned, and is actually a little easier to drive. I find the T1 gen 1 needs a ton of power.

May 18, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #4,015 of 4,813

I'm not so sure about the sound stage. Some would say the only headphone that bests the T1 for soundstage is the HD800.  I only have a T1 gen 1, and I feel it has fantastic sound stage, and is more comfortable (to me) than the Ether C. The Ether C is just the best closed headphone out there. Everything is extremely clear on the Ether C. The Gen 2 is darker (or less bright) than the T1 gen 1, so it might be darker than the Ether C. I think the Ether C is similar to the T1 gen 1, but with better bass on the Ether C.

They are both excellent headphones, but there are trade offs that only you can determine the value of. The T1 has velour pads; the Ether C has lambskin. The T1 is semi-open, the Ether C is closed, so the Ether C isolates better, but the T1 may sound more airy. The Ether can be tuned to reduce the treble, but it can also be tuned to let a lot of treble through. The T1 Gen 2 cannot be tuned. Tuning is irrelevant to the T1 if you like the sound.

I would say the Ether C is more versatile since it's closed, but has great sound stage, can be tuned, and is actually a little easier to drive. I find the T1 gen 1 needs a ton of power.

"I'm not so sure about the sound stage."  Your experience with the open T1 has nothing to do with the closed T5p that was under discussion... especially when it comes to soundstage.

May 18, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #4,016 of 4,813

"I'm not so sure about the sound stage."  Your experience with the open T1 has nothing to do with the closed T5p that was under discussion... especially when it comes to soundstage.

I think the Ether-C's are on par with the HD-700's in soundstage. I don't have any Beyers to check out with tough.

May 18, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #4,017 of 4,813

Yikes! I totally misread the original post. So sorry. 

I did have a T5p gen 1 and I've heard the T5p gen 2. The gen 2 is darker, but I couldn't get a good seal with either, so bass was quite light. The ether c (to me) is way better. Seals better. Isolates better, and sounds fuller. That is comparing to a T5p gen 1, but I don't think the T5p gen 2 rises above the Ether C. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back