MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
May 9, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #3,946 of 4,813
Thanks.

It's sounding pretty good at 12 on eco mode. I'll probably do more tinkering and see what I think of normal mode.

Also, you people with your Yggys and Rags... staaaahp. tempting me.

May 9, 2016 at 11:58 PM Post #3,947 of 4,813
You want to drive the Ether C with authority and finesse, you need a Schiit Yggy and Rag stack.
Someday ah Someday. But until then...The Ether-C's with DUM cable sound excellent through my MacBook>Amarra>BiFrost Multibit>microZOTL2. Or Balanced into my Master 11. When I first got the Ether-C they had all the soundstage of a sideways pancake and no bass. I have used a Pono and a Mojo to burn them in with everything under the sun including a lot of deadmau5. He seems to have every frequency on the planet and tons of bass and lower mids. It's working. 60 of 200 hours in these now seem to be the headphone everyone describes. Lord only knows what a fully broken in set on your raggy-yiggy would sound like.

May 10, 2016 at 1:21 AM Post #3,949 of 4,813
Anyone have feedback with the Ether C and the onkyo dp-x1? Ideally someone who has heard it with the Questyle QP1R as well.

I'm considering trading the QP1R for something that will stream Tidal for my portable solution.

Phone + Mojo = Tidal solution

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
May 10, 2016 at 2:47 AM Post #3,950 of 4,813
Thanks.

It's sounding pretty good at 12 on eco mode. I'll probably do more tinkering and see what I think of normal mode.

Also, you people with your Yggys and Rags... staaaahp. tempting me.

Hmmm you know you want to, just pull the trigger on the Yggdrasil and Ragnarock. Your headphones and ears will be very pleased if give in and order this fantastic schiit combo :D.

May 10, 2016 at 4:40 AM Post #3,952 of 4,813
Anyone have feedback with the Ether C and the onkyo dp-x1? Ideally someone who has heard it with the Questyle QP1R as well.

I'm considering trading the QP1R for something that will stream Tidal for my portable solution.

I'd love to hear feedback on this too. I was initially very interested in the QP1R until I realized I wouldn't be able to use Spotify Premium or Tidal. Wondering how the DPX1 would compare to the QP1R or my current portable solution (iPhone and HA-2)

May 10, 2016 at 7:08 AM Post #3,953 of 4,813
Someday ah Someday. But until then...The Ether-C's with DUM cable sound excellent through my MacBook>Amarra>BiFrost Multibit>microZOTL2. Or Balanced into my Master 11. When I first got the Ether-C they had all the soundstage of a sideways pancake and no bass. I have used a Pono and a Mojo to burn them in with everything under the sun including a lot of deadmau5. He seems to have every frequency on the planet and tons of bass and lower mids. It's working. 60 of 200 hours in these now seem to be the headphone everyone describes. Lord only knows what a fully broken in set on your raggy-yiggy would sound like.

I hope your Ethers sound great with that MicroZotl 2. That is my next purchase along with HD800 S cans to have a bit of ying and yang. I am planing to use my SE DUM cable with them.
Why don't you go to Jango internet radio on that Macbook and play Trance, House and other EDM through the Ether Cs for a week to a week and a half. That's what I did to break mine in.

May 10, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #3,954 of 4,813
This is going to be a real noob question..

Right now, I have the DUM cable w/ the 3.5mm termination.

Eventually, I'm probably going to want to run these balanced when I'm ready to get a new setup for home.

Will I need a whole new cable for that or is there some kind of 3.5mm to XLR adapter that could be used?

I apologize for the stupid question!

May 10, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #3,955 of 4,813
  This is going to be a real noob question..

Right now, I have the DUM cable w/ the 3.5mm termination.

Eventually, I'm probably going to want to run these balanced when I'm ready to get a new setup for home.

Will I need a whole new cable for that or is there some kind of 3.5mm to XLR adapter that could be used?

I apologize for the stupid question!

No question is stupid. Don't plug in single ended to balanced. Get a new cable.

May 10, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #3,957 of 4,813
  That's what I was afraid of.. 

Maybe I can find one that I can use w/ my HD800 and the Ether-C

I'm kinda in the same boat as you right now. Have the 3.5mm DUM, but need a balanced. Also have a HD800 and an LCD-X, but they all have different cable connections. *sigh*

I've got a standard 3.5mm cable that came with my C's and thought about re-terminating it, but I did comparisons with the DUM cable and it noticeable sounded better to me.

May 10, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #3,958 of 4,813
I hope your Ethers sound great with that MicroZotl 2. That is my next purchase along with HD800 S cans to have a bit of ying and yang. I am planing to use my SE DUM cable with them.
Why don't you go to Jango internet radio on that Macbook and play Trance, House and other EDM through the Ether Cs for a week to a week and a half. That's what I did to break mine in.
The Ether-C indeed sounds great with the MZL2. And thank you for the Jango suggestion. I'm on my way.

May 10, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #3,959 of 4,813
I'm kinda in the same boat as you right now. Have the 3.5mm DUM, but need a balanced. Also have a HD800 and an LCD-X, but they all have different cable connections. *sigh*

I've got a standard 3.5mm cable that came with my C's and thought about re-terminating it, but I did comparisons with the DUM cable and it noticeable sounded better to me.
I have balanced cables for all my headphones and then use a set of adapters for SE, Pono, Mojo, etc. If you want to stick to one cable that works with every headphone, I believe, Norne Audio, Moon Audio, sell adapters you put on the headphone sockets. Someone else join in. Do not plug SE into a Balanced output! There is no adapter for that. Amps blow up doing that. Don't do that.

That-a-tat-tat :)

May 10, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #3,960 of 4,813
That's what I was afraid of.. 

Maybe I can find one that I can use w/ my HD800 and the Ether-C

You can use a balanced cable with a single ended amp using a balanced to single ended adapter but you cannot use a single ended cable with a balanced amplifier. There is no adapter for that. You will burn the amplifier.

I would either reterminate your cable to balanced or get a balanced cable and also get an adapter to be able to use it with a single ended amp.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back