MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Jan 30, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #2,236 of 4,813
I have both the DUM cable and the stock cable and have listened to both and to be honest it is hard to discern major differences...assuming the DUM cable is better it is by a small margin ....if one hears no bass with the stock cable and an huge difference with the DUM cable then i believe the stock cable to be faulty!

Jan 30, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #2,237 of 4,813
I have 2 stock cables, one 3.5mm and one 1/4", and a DUM. I think I found the culprit:

After I switched the adapter all 3 cables sounded so close I couldn't tell the difference immediately, but my ears are burnt right now after 2 days of Headroom. At any rate, the bad adapter was the reason for the missing bass

Jan 30, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #2,239 of 4,813
Saved you some money also.

Jan 30, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #2,240 of 4,813
Hmm all these cable talk made me think maybe my cable is the culprit for lack of bass, maybe I should request for a replacement? I have the 6' DUM XLR cable.

Jan 30, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #2,241 of 4,813
I've maybe 30 hours on mine. I took them straight out of the box and listened. Not so good. Let them run in for a few hours, and much better. They seem to be improving still, but I wouldn't swear to it.

I really question the light bass comments. The bass is impressive where called for. It does not seem to bleed up into the mid bass and mids though.

I really want to question the comments about less bass than alpha dog and prime, but I sold my primes a couple of months ago, so I can't make a fair assessment.

Same for less bass than ether. I want to disagree, but I haven't heard the open ether in most of a year so I can't make a fair assessment.

These are not a bass head can. My very brief experience is that they are not bass light, but that there is no mid bass bump.

That's my premature take on the Ether C so far.

Jan 30, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #2,242 of 4,813
1) It's fine for me that C is not a bass head can... After burn in is the only bass which seems to be "settle down"? Or do you notice some other change as well?
2) What dac/amp do you use with it or what is your favourite setup?

Jan 30, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #2,244 of 4,813
1) It's fine for me that C is not a bass head can... After burn in is the only bass which seems to be "settle down"? Or do you notice some other change as well?
2) What dac/amp do you use with it or what is your favourite setup?

Mine hasn't reached the noted 100 or 150 hours. They seem to have gotten a bit more cohesive, and the bass seems a bit more present. I think further burn in will be me getting used to them. Amps are Cavalli Liquid Crimson and Carbon. Dac is Audio-gd Dac-19 11th anniversary edition.

So far, I like them a bunch. There are a couple of open headphones I like a touch better for my taste including the open ether. I need closed cans, and these are the best I have heard. When you need closed cans, it doesn't matter if there are a couple of open cans that you might like better…

Jan 30, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #2,245 of 4,813
I've maybe 30 hours on mine. I took them straight out of the box and listened. Not so good. Let them run in for a few hours, and much better. They seem to be improving still, but I wouldn't swear to it.

I really question the light bass comments. The bass is impressive where called for. It does not seem to bleed up into the mid bass and mids though.

I really want to question the comments about less bass than alpha dog and prime, but I sold my primes a couple of months ago, so I can't make a fair assessment.

Same for less bass than ether. I want to disagree, but I haven't heard the open ether in most of a year so I can't make a fair assessment.

These are not a bass head can. My very brief experience is that they are not bass light, but that there is no mid bass bump.

I still have my AD's and AP's. My C's have well over 200 hours on them. I let them cook on repeat playlists the first two weeks I had them set aside and listened to them occasionally throughout the process. They do transform in a very similar way the Prime's did.

The C's are so precise in the way they render the entire spectrum, it is easy to conclude they might lack in bass. What I've discovered is that they reveal exactly what the track calls for. Some music we may have been conditioned to expect bass from other cans, might not render the same with C's. To me it is very reminiscent to how AD's were described in the early days. To test this for myself, I queued up Daft Punk by Pentatonix after reading Warren Chi's review on ETHER. This was a brand new track for me so I had no idea what to expect. In the same way Warren used this track as a bass litmus for the ETHER, I discovered it to work just as well for the C's in highlighting its bass capabilities. This track dispelled any doubt that the C's are masterful and do not exhibit weakness in bass.

The C's are so fast and resolving, I think one needs to spend quite a bit of time on personal brain burn in as well in order to appreciate the quality C's have to offer. I have found that switching back and forth between cans is counterproductive while becoming acquainted with a new set of headphones.

A while back Dan described the differences between ETHER siblings - I have found that to be spot on. Chiefly, the optimization for mids and sub bass between the two really is quite apparent and a luxury I couldn't resist having after reading Dan's tome on the subject.

Jan 30, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #2,246 of 4,813
I have 2 stock cables, one 3.5mm and one 1/4", and a DUM. I think I found the culprit:

After I switched the adapter all 3 cables sounded so close I couldn't tell the difference immediately, but my ears are burnt right now after 2 days of Headroom. At any rate, the bad adapter was the reason for the missing bass

Well that's a first!  Maybe let Mark take a look and see if he can troubleshoot that, if he has a minute, I have no idea what kind of circuit failure would do that so I'm curious...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jan 30, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #2,247 of 4,813
I agree with Dan on the process of the ETHER C burn-in and have experienced it as well. :)

I find the ETHER C to be quite linear in the bass and yet so enjoyable. I also love the idea of the tuning pads as you can balance the frequency spectrum easily and repeatably. If you guys are finding the ETHER C bass light then throw on the white tuning pad. That will definately lower the treble and help perceive the bass more.

Like aamefford I'm using the DAC-19 and Liquid Carbon. I've gotta say, this is a very enjoyable setup with the C's.

Jan 31, 2016 at 12:56 AM Post #2,248 of 4,813

Gratz on the C!  I didn't realize you were getting one.  I heard the Ether C when it launched last year on a Crimson and DAC-19 and the pairing was... well it made me fall in love with both the Crimson and the C.  I have a Crimson now and I'm waiting for my wallet to recover before grabbing a C eventually.  Looking forward to reading your impressions once fully burnt in.

Jan 31, 2016 at 1:30 AM Post #2,249 of 4,813
Gratz on the C!  I didn't realize you were getting one.  I heard the Ether C when it launched last year on a Crimson and DAC-19 and the pairing was... well it made me fall in love with both the Crimson and the C.  I have a Crimson now and I'm waiting for my wallet to recover before grabbing a C eventually.  Looking forward to reading your impressions once fully burnt in.

Yup, got them Monday. They are definitely Ethers. I think I like the open ether a bit more, but I'll revisit that in a while. For now, they seem to be the best closed can I've heard, based on memory, some of them way too old to rely on.

Closed cans always seem to be a series of compromises to get the best sound out of them. In General, I seem to like Dan's choices for voicing, I've owned everything he's made as Mrspeakers except the MD Pro and liked them.

Man, are these comfortable.

Jan 31, 2016 at 3:40 AM Post #2,250 of 4,813
I heard the Ether C on the London show yesterday.
They had over 500 hours on them so i think that was enough burn in.
I want to congratulate Dan for making literally the best sounding closed full size headphones out there.
Tried with Lotoo Paw Gold and Tera player.
They had the DUM cable.Still concerned a bit about guys with big ears for touching the sides of the earpards because of the shape,but other than that everything is there: amazing sound, excellent build quality, comfortable and low weight.
A winner.
Shall order mine soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back