MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Jan 29, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #2,221 of 4,813

Well, by all means, listen them too! My gosh! :)

I have a question for Dan. What tubes do you like using with your Liquid Glass amp with the Ether C? I'd really like to know.

Ah, well that's a LONG answer in detail, but the short is:

Tungsol 12SN7GT great all rounder with big soundstage, natural tone and powerful bass.  Probably my most regular tube.
CBS Hytron 12SN7GT biggest soundstage, leaner bass
Russian 6H6N excellent all rounder with punchy bass and low distortion, nice unusual tube
RCA 6CG7 excellent clarity and bass
I also have some really odd tubes, like 7N7 tall tubes.  Like a 6SN7 on steroids.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jan 29, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #2,222 of 4,813
Burning in is going really slowly, I can only do 5 hours a day, and was able to do 2-3 days a week only. Getting to 200 hours will take me 20 weeks, about 5 months!  big pain in the you know where.  I wish Dan would burn these in for us.

In the mean time I am liking this EQ setup (with white tuning pads), I doubt even after 200 hours burn in, I'll get a +6 dB gain at the low end.

Jan 30, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #2,223 of 4,813
  Burning in is going really slowly, I can only do 5 hours a day, and was able to do 2-3 days a week only. Getting to 200 hours will take me 20 weeks, about 5 months!  big pain in the you know where.  I wish Dan would burn these in for us.

In the mean time I am liking this EQ setup (with white tuning pads), I doubt even after 200 hours burn in, I'll get a +6 dB gain at the low end.

That's almost exactly the same settings I'm using too with JRiver. I'm also using the White tuning pads, gives a nice little low end oomph.

Jan 30, 2016 at 6:54 AM Post #2,224 of 4,813

Well, by all means, listen them too! My gosh! :)

I am listening to stuff, but with my current rig. The thing is my rig is well dialed in with my HD650's.

To give'em a fair chance in my evaluation I'll let the drivers losen up. I've waited this long, a couple days will not hurt.

Jan 30, 2016 at 7:12 AM Post #2,225 of 4,813
Got my Wywires Red headphone cable for my Ether-Cs yesterday. Still waiting for delivery of my Cs.

Jan 30, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #2,226 of 4,813
^^ Cart before the horse? 
tongue.gif
 Just kidding, nice looking cable. I've heard good things about Wywires but have not listened to it myself. Let us know what you think. 

Jan 30, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #2,227 of 4,813
mmm.......Wywires Red is the lochness in my part of the ocean. The local authorized dealer (as listed in the manufacturer's website)  here does not respond to queries (and I've tried many times). Would love to have that cable for my good headphones, including my Ether (O). :frowning2: 

Jan 30, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #2,228 of 4,813
  mmm.......Wywires Red is the lochness in my part of the ocean. The local authorized dealer (as listed in the manufacturer's website)  here does not respond to queries (and I've tried many times). Would love to have that cable for my good headphones, including my Ether (O). :frowning2: 

Just go to WyWires website and Email Alex. He will fix you up. Mine is the standsrd 5 foot cable because I sit next to my rig. I also got balanced interconnects to connect my Ragg and Yiggy that I am purchasing in the next three months.

Jan 30, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #2,229 of 4,813
Didn't believe the whole wire thing until today.. Brought my Ether C to the Headroom meet in London and they were horribly light on the bass to the point where they were missing information on the low end. It was finally pointed out to me by Robert Watt from Chord Audio when I was listening to their new flagship amp Dave that it wasn't the same Ether C that he'd heard at another meet. So I went to Mr Speakers section to compare with the Ether C's on display and the rep gave me a DUM cable to hook up. BAM, there was the bass!

So the stock cable had no bass..........I couldn't believe it. Connected the DUM and all was awesome. I'm about to blow a ton on cables now, because everything I heard coming out of balanced cables sounded super sweet too.

Jan 30, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #2,230 of 4,813
Didn't believe the whole wire thing until today.. Brought my Ether C to the Headroom meet in London and they were horribly light on the bass to the point where they were missing information on the low end. It was finally pointed out to me by Robert Watt from Chord Audio when I was listening to their new flagship amp Dave that it wasn't the same Ether C that he'd heard at another meet. So I went to Mr Speakers section to compare with the Ether C's on display and the rep gave me a DUM cable to hook up. BAM, there was the bass!

So the stock cable had no bass..........I couldn't believe it. Connected the DUM and all was awesome. I'm about to blow a ton on cables now, because everything I heard coming out of balanced cables sounded super sweet too.

if the difference was that dramatic, there is likely a problem with the basic cable you have. Possible a short or loose wire.

Jan 30, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #2,231 of 4,813

Have you tried experimenting with the tuning pads? I was experimenting with mine last night with one or two black ones in, I was listening to the new Massive Attack EP & playlist on Tidal and I thought it added a bit of extra low end authority / weight. I'm going to carry on experimenting with them to see what I find. I must admit when I first got the headphones I never really gave them a chance.

Jan 30, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #2,232 of 4,813
I have tried many cables and believe in some. The effect of cables on the sound is there but not "snake oil" there. Saying BAM, I would say is a stretch of words. Dan would not put out a crap cable. A good cable and better cable but not snake oil better. Not calling anyone a liar but maybe excited.

Jan 30, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #2,233 of 4,813
I got the opportunity to listen both closed and open versions of Ether. It was a very short auditioning with following setup: Ibasso dx90 with Vorzuge Pure II. Both Ether's came with a DUM cable. Closed Ether was straight out of box while the open one was properly burned. My first impression: I liked closed one a bit more... The truth is that the bass on open version sounded incredible deep and punchy, closed one definitely lighter, but especially treble sounded to me more extended or sparkle on closed version and I did not find a marked difference between the soundstage... It off course always depends what setup or source do you use. Ether C reminds me T5p which I own with better low end: mids and treble are very good on C. So, this was my very first impression...

Jan 30, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #2,234 of 4,813
I have tried many cables and believe in some. The effect of cables on the sound is there but not "snake oil" there. Saying BAM, I would say is a stretch of words. Dan would not put out a crap cable. A good cable and better cable but not snake oil better. Not calling anyone a liar but maybe excited.

I'm not "stretching" anything. My Ether C's had no bass with the stock cable, the difference was dramatic and I'm going to measure it and post it when I get back because I have a DUM cable at home.

2 other people heard the difference and Robert Watt, the guy that designed the Chord Mojo, Hugo, and Dave was the one that pointed it out.

Jan 30, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #2,235 of 4,813

I'm not "stretching" anything. My Ether C's had no bass with the stock cable, the difference was dramatic and I'm going to measure it and post it when I get back because I have a DUM cable at home.

2 other people heard the difference and Robert Watt, the guy that designed the Chord Mojo, Hugo, and Dave was the one that pointed it out.

Like I said, sounds like you may have a defective cable. Any chance you can try with a different regular cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back