MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Nov 20, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #1,367 of 4,813
I just received my Ether C. Gotta say, its definately an upgrade from my previous AKT5p.
Comfortable, very detailed and clear. Pretty fast as well though the bass is somewhat lacking in comparison. It ought to kick in after the burn in session hopefully.

Nov 20, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #1,369 of 4,813
  I guess what I'm looking is a comparative review with the LCD-XC. Barring weight considerations, is one superior to the other.

A lot will come down to personal tastes. But I liked my Alpha Primes considerably better than I did my LCD-XC (the Primes are more neutral, which I value), and my ETHER C is preferable to my Alpha Primes (better resolution), my vote is the ETHER C is MUCH better than the LCD-XC.

Nov 20, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #1,370 of 4,813
  A lot will come down to personal tastes. But I liked my Alpha Primes considerably better than I did my LCD-XC (the Primes are more neutral, which I value), and my ETHER C is preferable to my Alpha Primes (better resolution), my vote is the ETHER C is MUCH better than the LCD-XC.

You don't own the LCD-XC, what are you basing your opinion on? Not trying to troll, because my experience with both cans is very limited. With that I would say they are both excellent headphones that offer different musical presentations, of which I prefer the Ether C's sq and comfort. Though I can see why certain folks prefer the XC, just a matter of individual taste and preference. 

Nov 20, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #1,371 of 4,813
People should start getting tuning kits today.  Looking forward to hearing your results...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Nov 20, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #1,372 of 4,813
  You don't own the LCD-XC, what are you basing your opinion on? Not trying to troll, because my experience with both cans is very limited. With that I would say they are both excellent headphones that offer different musical presentations, of which I prefer the Ether C's sq and comfort. Though I can see why certain folks prefer the XC, just a matter of individual taste and preference. 

I don't own the LCD-XC now. I did own them for a year and a half. I only need one desktop and one travel set of cans.
So this is the sequence. I bought the Alpha Primes a few months ago. Compared them directly to the LCD-XC. Preferred the Primes by a large margin. Sold the LCD-XC.
Then I bought the ETHER C. Compared them to the Alpha Primes directly, preferred the ETHER C. haven't gotten around to selling the Primes.
So I have a direct sequence of two sets of comparisons.
Make sense?
And I started off by stating that this was my preference, there is no such thing as 'better' in such discussions.

Nov 20, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #1,373 of 4,813
  I don't own the LCD-XC now. I did own them for a year and a half. I only need one desktop and one travel set of cans.
So this is the sequence. I bought the Alpha Primes a few months ago. Compared them directly to the LCD-XC. Preferred the Primes by a large margin. Sold the LCD-XC.
Then I bought the ETHER C. Compared them to the Alpha Primes directly, preferred the ETHER C. haven't gotten around to selling the Primes.
So I have a direct sequence of two sets of comparisons.
Make sense?
And I started off by stating that this was my preference, there is no such thing as 'better' in such discussions.

Dude, maybe off topic, but that's one heck of a rig in your signature.  The Bag End subs caught my attention...

On topic- I usually compare the bass of the Primes to a fantastic sealed sub.  Any thoughts?  And how would the Ether compare?

Nov 20, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #1,374 of 4,813
  Dude, maybe off topic, but that's one heck of a rig in your signature.  The Bag End subs caught my attention...

On topic- I usually compare the bass of the Primes to a fantastic sealed sub.  Any thoughts?  And how would the Ether compare?

Thanks. The sub setup is the only part of my original home theater (from 1997) I have kept. The Bag Ends aren't the last word in 'boom' but they do have prodigious output, down low (I have the high pass set to 14Hz). And they are sublime with music. Also note I am using all planar hybrid speakers. I am consistent in my driver preferences
normal_smile .gif

I agree with your comparison. And even with my ETHERs not even close to being broken in (around 10-12 hours so far), I think they better the Primes. With some bass drum notes you get that wonderful 'whoomp' which you almost feel. Of course others have had different impressions. It is possible my Geek Pulse is an especially good match.

Nov 20, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #1,375 of 4,813
  Thanks. The sub setup is the only part of my original home theater (from 1997) I have kept. The Bag Ends aren't the last word in 'boom' but they do have prodigious output, down low (I have the high pass set to 14Hz). And they are sublime with music. Also note I am using all planar hybrid speakers. I am consistent in my driver preferences
normal_smile%20.gif

I agree with your comparison. And even with my ETHERs not even close to being broken in (around 10-12 hours so far), I think they better the Primes. With some bass drum notes you get that wonderful 'whoomp' which you almost feel. Of course others have had different impressions. It is possible my Geek Pulse is an especially good match.

Yeah.  The Bryston and those subs helped bring me into this hobby, especially the Bryston.  I don't own yet, and perhaps never will.  But that's the gear the lit my imagination, along with early Theta.  The Dreadnaught is #1 on my list of must haves.

In the meantime, headphones are WAY cheaper!

Nov 20, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #1,376 of 4,813
  I guess what I'm looking is a comparative review with the LCD-XC. Barring weight considerations, is one superior to the other.

No. If I could only own one, I'd choose the ETHER-C for physical reasons. But in SQ they are in the same league with different strengths and weaknesses.

Nov 20, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #1,377 of 4,813
The LC and the Ether C are both outstanding...i currently own the Ether and have the Ether C on order.....I owned the Primes and the LC's at the same time and although I liked the XC a bit better the Primes isolated so much better and were so much more comfortable that i found myself listening to the primes more....for me,the reason for owning a closed headphone is the isolation otherwise the open cans work better for me....There are just some times where i do want or need the isolation and if the Ether C is anywhere near as good as the Ether in a closed back then i will be very happy indeed

Nov 20, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #1,378 of 4,813
The LC and the Ether C are both outstanding...i currently own the Ether and have the Ether C on order.....I owned the Primes and the LC's at the same time and although I liked the LC a bit better the Primes isolated so much better and were so much more comfortable that i found myself listening to the primes more....for me,the reason for owning a closed headphone is the isolation otherwise the open cans work better for me....There are just some times where i do want or need the isolation and if the Ether C is anywhere near as good as the Ether in a closed back then i will be very happy indeed

I believe you're talking about the XC not the LC right?

Nov 20, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #1,379 of 4,813
normal_smile%20.gif

I used to have the Infrasub 18 in my HT with all Martin Logan speakers around and the speed of the Bag End even at 18" was amazing blending very well. I replaced it with the ML Descent.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Nov 20, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #1,380 of 4,813
Hey guys,

I appreciate the responses so far. Perhaps I might get even more info from you if I tell you exactly what it is I'm after. Presently I'm listening to HE6's driven off the speaker taps of a Blue Circle BmPH integrated amp (165W/channel) and the DAC is a PWD MkII. My bedside listening post is similar- HE-5LE's. It has been made clear to me that open-backed headphones are not welcome in bed so I'm hunting for closed-backs cans. I've narrowed down my choices to the Ether-C's or the LCD-XC's. Do either of these headphones bear any similarities to the HE-6's? I listen to jazz, classical, rock, punk, ambient...almost anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back