MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Nov 21, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #1,398 of 4,813
  NZtechfreak,

How would you compare these to your HE-6's when driven by the Questyle monoblocks? As I've stated earlier, I need a closed-back headphone for the bedroom setup. Are the Ether-C on a par?

On a par with a well-driven HE6? No way. They are very good in their own right, and sounded the best I've heard them from the desktop rig, but the HE6 is better in almost every regard from a sonic perspective (most will prefer the Ether Cs treble handling). I need to listen to them some more from desktop, and they are still building their hours, and I still need to try the tuning kit, so fair to say I have quite a bit of listening to do before I decide I have a fair read on the Ether C sound.

Nov 21, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #1,399 of 4,813
I may have to track down the QP1R to try, I remain not that satisfied with the Ether C Chord Mojo pairing. When I tried the Ether C from my desktop rig yesterday I actually found them a fair bit improved, which on some levels of course is not surprising, but I still do think it points to the Mojo not being quite ideal with this particular headphone.

Before the Mojo was shipped on the tour I briefly listened to the ETHER C with it and agree, there was a bit missing in the synergy. I've also been considering the QP1R since its been announced. Hmmmmmmmm......

Nov 21, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #1,400 of 4,813

I may have to track down the QP1R to try, I remain not that satisfied with the Ether C Chord Mojo pairing. When I tried the Ether C from my desktop rig yesterday I actually found them a fair bit improved, which on some levels of course is not surprising, but I still do think it points to the Mojo not being quite ideal with this particular headphone.

You should give it a listen I think it is pretty special. I haven't heard a lot of other daps but it is about 5000x better than the X1 I had. I can't remember the AK that Dan Clark had at the spring meet but it sounded good with the Ether's but this sounds better. 

Nov 22, 2015 at 12:07 AM Post #1,404 of 4,813
Wondering if anyone has feedback on the pairing with the Continental Dual Mono?

Nov 22, 2015 at 12:44 AM Post #1,405 of 4,813

Care to give specific details of what is the difference with Ether C on Mojo against your desktop rig? I have an Ether C coming, I could not find a chance to demo a C (because it appears there is only one demo unit allocated throughout the whole SouthEast Asia and I keep missing it whenever I visit a shop who mentioned they have the C on demo)

I only tried the Ether with Mojo, while not bad and I consider it a bit of an improvement over T51P it's not on the same level as the HD800 imo.

Nov 23, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #1,407 of 4,813
I'm expecting my Ether C's this week, and use the Hifi-M8 as my main rig. Will post impressions once I receive them and give them a few good listening sessions.

Cheers, I'm also interested to hear how it fares with other portables.

Nov 23, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #1,409 of 4,813
  Does anyone near Severn, Md have a set of Ether C's?  I'm very curious to listen to them on my Liquid Carbon before pulling the trigger.

PM me.

Thanks...

I hope someone can help you out!  That being said, some folks have told me that since it also uses Current-Mode tech, the Liquid Carbon has a similar sound to Questyle amps, including the QP1R DAP from Questyle.  That would be something I'd find encouraging, because I found from when I tried it out that the Ether C sounds EXCELLENT with the QP1R, it seems to play very nicely with current-mode amp tech.

Nov 23, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #1,410 of 4,813
Hey, we're pretty excited!  ETHER C just showed up in Rolling Stone's holiday guide, along with the Schiit Mjolnir 2 and Gungnir Multibit.  

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/pictures/holiday-gift-guide-2015-40-perfect-presents-for-music-fans-20151123/ether-c-headphones-20151119

And yes, they put an ETHER photo in, but they know and it will get updated.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back