MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Sep 13, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #4,697 of 4,813
I had a chance to review the JDS Labs element and compare it to my Mojo.  I know the Mojo gets a lot of love on here but when volume matched and given identical sources I could not pick them apart.  At $230 cheaper I may be putting my Mojo up for sale and picking one up.  

Review here:  http://www.head-fi.org/products/jds-labs-the-element/reviews/16829

Sep 15, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #4,698 of 4,813
So i've just recieved a 1st generation DUM cable to use with my ether Cs and it has issues cutting out when there is movement. Does anyone know where i could go to have this issue fixed? it sounds great so its unfortunate this had to happen. Or maybe MrSpeakers offers this service themselves?

I'll use my regular alpha prime cable in the mean time

On the other hand if any of you are interested in letting go of your 2nd generation DUM cable (ill pay) feel free to PM me!

Sep 15, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #4,699 of 4,813
So i've just recieved a 1st generation DUM cable to use with my ether Cs and it has issues cutting out when there is movement. Does anyone know where i could go to have this issue fixed? it sounds great so its unfortunate this had to happen. Or maybe MrSpeakers offers this service themselves?

I'll use my regular alpha prime cable in the mean time

On the other hand if any of you are interested in letting go of your 2nd generation DUM cable (ill pay) feel free to PM me!
No way will I let go of my cable ; ). There are many here that use high end cables and might let them go. I like to make my own but haven't found the wire that sounds as good as the DUM yet . I think it would be a simple fix if it were close to the connectors . If you don't find a solution let me know .

Sep 16, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #4,700 of 4,813
No way will I let go of my cable ; ). There are many here that use high end cables and might let them go. I like to make my own but haven't found the wire that sounds as good as the DUM yet . I think it would be a simple fix if it were close to the connectors . If you don't find a solution let me know .

Its those people exactly that I hope are reading this haha! Im hoping theyre all upgrading to Theriums so that I can pounce on their DUMs P: 

I am absolutely sure the cutting out is at the connector, but i have literally zero knowledge of the World of Cablecraft to make the fix ):

Sep 16, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #4,701 of 4,813
I had a chance to review the JDS Labs element and compare it to my Mojo.  I know the Mojo gets a lot of love on here but when volume matched and given identical sources I could not pick them apart.  At $230 cheaper I may be putting my Mojo up for sale and picking one up.  

Review here:  http://www.head-fi.org/products/jds-labs-the-element/reviews/16829

Couldn't tell the difference between my Mojo and DacMagic 100. Maybe we don't have 'golden ears'.

Sep 16, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #4,702 of 4,813
Couldn't tell the difference between my Mojo and DacMagic 100. Maybe we don't have 'golden ears'.

I have the DacMagic Plus and Mojo with Ether C. When volume matched the Mojo has more focus, detail and warmth. There is more soundstage and bass on the DacMagic Plus though, for some reason. Too bad it's a harsh sounding Dac/amp...

Sep 30, 2016 at 1:03 AM Post #4,703 of 4,813

Agreed. I think hype on Mojo is quite exaggerated. I have OPPO HA-2, and when I auditioned it with other Chord products, and honestly, I don't think one can't say one thing is better than others. I may have to put my Chord product up on sale. 

Oct 10, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #4,705 of 4,813
What's the cheapest amp I can use with the Ether C?

Would the Magni 2 do fine?

I've used the Magni 2 Uber it was fine, so is the Cayin C5 and Fiio E12

Nov 8, 2016 at 8:11 AM Post #4,707 of 4,813
How do they compare to hd800,he6 and fostex th900 using a mojo.Hey I might be buying a mojo . I want a detailed crisp and clear sound with good rumble in bass and good soundstage and good treble and mids/vocals Highs should not be harsh and fatiguing. I listen to almost all genres of songs and also play games.I might also use them for playing guitar so I want good clarity for guitars

Nov 8, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #4,708 of 4,813
The HD800 is a different beast, I really like them but they are known for being very analytical and have a 'feature' at 6Khz that can be tiring out of the box. A number of mods are available to reduce this. The HD800S though has a bit more base and less of the 6Khz peak. Honestly, I would go and watch the Innerfidelity reviews of both for an in depth opinion.

Equally Tyll at Innerfidelity gives a great review of the Ether C (my personal choice).

I also have the Ether C Flow on review, this headphone is amazingly good and would tick all your boxes easily. It brings a slightly warmer sound and improved base to the Ether C which was already a world class closed headphone.

Both Ethers run perfectly well on the Chord Mojo.

Nov 8, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #4,709 of 4,813
  The HD800 is a different beast, I really like them but they are known for being very analytical and have a 'feature' at 6Khz that can be tiring out of the box. A number of mods are available to reduce this. The HD800S though has a bit more base and less of the 6Khz peak. Honestly, I would go and watch the Innerfidelity reviews of both for an in depth opinion.

Equally Tyll at Innerfidelity gives a great review of the Ether C (my personal choice).

I also have the Ether C Flow on review, this headphone is amazingly good and would tick all your boxes easily. It brings a slightly warmer sound and improved base to the Ether C which was already a world class closed headphone.

Both Ethers run perfectly well on the Chord Mojo.

Is Ether C still your personal choice after experiencing Ether C Flow? Why so (or not)?

Nov 8, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #4,710 of 4,813
Hi

No, I own the Ether C and have the Flow version on loan. I will be upgrading because the Flow has made a great headphone into a brilliant one. Interestingly I was not sold on the Flow initially at Camjam London, but time and Dan C) has made me a convert.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back