MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Jan 22, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #4,726 of 4,813
Jan 25, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #4,728 of 4,813

Bought this ether C but I couldn't listen because of the high freq. is killing my ears, this version is 1.1 with Dum cable, angle ear pad, black foam, white pads....Decided to modify it with felt pads, after three days testing from toilet paper to Dan's original pads... I just happy to hear some music now. This mod was inspired by fostex t50rp headphones, the felts wave guide help the planar speakers with no cross talking and the result was outstanding. I decided to leave the original foam pad on bottom due to the bouncing of low bass, tried the felt one but it congested the bass to much, this way the low bass get loose a bit but I like it this way. I wish Dan can make open the hole on top a bit bigger to release more air from behind the planar speakers. I believe it will bring the bass to an extreme level. My ether c was rumbling my poor ears last night. I'm using no pad, no filters.. nothing only these felt wave guide. Eliminated 90% of high distortion.

Jan 25, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #4,729 of 4,813

Bought this ether C but I couldn't listen because of the high freq. is killing my ears, this version is 1.1 with Dum cable, angle ear pad, black foam, white pads....Decided to modify it with felt pads, after three days testing from toilet paper to Dan's original pads... I just happy to hear some music now. This mod was inspired by fostex t50rp headphones, the felts wave guide help the planar speakers with no cross talking and the result was outstanding. I decided to leave the original foam pad on bottom due to the bouncing of low bass, tried the felt one but it congested the bass to much, this way the low bass get loose a bit but I like it this way. I wish Dan can make open the hole on top a bit bigger to release more air from behind the planar speakers. I believe it will bring the bass to an extreme level. My ether c was rumbling my poor ears last night. I'm using no pad, no filters.. nothing only these felt wave guide. Eliminated 90% of high distortion. Bass is shaking my skull. Dan, can you try these and if it work, make an up grade of foam or felt similar to these guide for the ether c? I have to listen to the new Flow can. It's look interesting to me but the wave guide might need to be taller a bit in order to separate them out.

Didn't white pads solve your high freq problem? I also felt that the high freq was shrilling, but the white pads solve the problem. 

Jan 25, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #4,730 of 4,813

Bought this ether C but I couldn't listen because of the high freq. is killing my ears, this version is 1.1 with Dum cable, angle ear pad, black foam, white pads....Decided to modify it with felt pads, after three days testing from toilet paper to Dan's original pads... I just happy to hear some music now. This mod was inspired by fostex t50rp headphones, the felts wave guide help the planar speakers with no cross talking and the result was outstanding. I decided to leave the original foam pad on bottom due to the bouncing of low bass, tried the felt one but it congested the bass to much, this way the low bass get loose a bit but I like it this way. I wish Dan can make open the hole on top a bit bigger to release more air from behind the planar speakers. I believe it will bring the bass to an extreme level. My ether c was rumbling my poor ears last night. I'm using no pad, no filters.. nothing only these felt wave guide. Eliminated 90% of high distortion. Bass is shaking my skull. Dan, can you try these and if it work, make an up grade of foam or felt similar to these guide for the ether c? I have to listen to the new Flow can. It's look interesting to me but the wave guide might need to be taller a bit in order to separate them out.

Hey Dan - First time poster and just joined HF today, but can you please consider reworking your entire design on the C (and also maybe the C Flow) because of my personal sound preferences and random ideas? And I'm not going to share my source or anything else about myself or what other headphones I like or are used to because that might be too helpful in understanding my intentions and why high frequencies of the C are deadly to me. Thanks! 

(sorry to sound snarky, but jeeze, talk about coming out swinging...) 

Jan 25, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #4,731 of 4,813

magical toilet paper.

I cant tell if this is genuine or trolling at its finest

happy_face1.gif

Jan 25, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #4,732 of 4,813

magical toilet paper.

I cant tell if this is genuine or trolling at its finest

happy_face1.gif

Great point! If so, I clearly got pulled into the trap. 
L3000.gif

Jan 25, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #4,733 of 4,813
[/IMG][/IMG]
Didn't white pads solve your high freq problem? I also felt that the high freq was shrilling, but the white pads solve the problem. 

The white pads were next to the speakers as it came from Mrspeakers, these white pads are blocking so much sound came from. It's even blocked the pressure from the speakers, if you have 1.1 ther c like mine, take it off hear it for yourself, only leave the black foam on without the rest of the filters. Imagine any speakers need it own baffle, why block it? I didn't open up the ether c but from looking it similar to fostex drivers, which Dan were famous for mod them. Go back to Fostex drivers, they do have a foam baffle in order to guide the sound not to interfere each other. This short distance about less half an inch are critical for the sound to start with, meantime the new Flow is designed in this concept too. The high is greatly reduce to acceptable normal hearing. Base on my experience with my mod I could have imagine how the new Flow sound by those wave guide act like a small horns, sound will be more focus, more bass but still bright because those wave guides not long or deep enough to separate the cross talk, these was the reason C's high was killing me. Again I don't have the Flow yet,but base on the feedback from many forums. At one point I was gonna sell my C because of the shouting treble, but I look up and figure it out there something I can do, and the result was very satisfying. Again, many headphones have little foam or some thin grill to fine tune the sound but no headphones has so many filters, pads.... to produce a better music. I did build many speakers from the old Altec, JBL...vintage horns all my life but I never see any curtain or pads between the listener and the speakers. These are all by mean no offends to Dan, I respect him a lot , enough to spent more than $1,500 for a headphones I thought I can enjoy some music. What's fun in this hobby? Spend more money or to understand what you have on your hands. And my first headphones I bought was HD800S, ether C was a second one.
Just finished modding the Ether C, the felt pads I got from home depot for $3. Awesome, sound much more focus, the high at 1000 & 6000hz are 90% eliminated, no filter and no pad.:thumbsup:

Jan 25, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #4,736 of 4,813
Got my shipping notice for the return of my upgraded C's. Woo-hoo! Cheers

Feb 4, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #4,739 of 4,813
Big question to me is ether C vs Aeon. Anyone?

That is the question of the day. Are the Aeons better than the C Flows? Not to me. Are they dry, very close and an awesome deal at $799 (and especially the pre-sale $699)? Hell yeah!

Talked to Dan today and he called it a kind of gift back to the community (like Alex did with the Liquid Carbon). It's not purely altruistic, but it is in my view a great deal on a closed back HP. Well done Dan!

Cheers

Feb 4, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #4,740 of 4,813

Big question to me is ether C vs Aeon. Anyone?

That is the question of the day. Are the Aeons better than the C Flows? Not to me. Are they dry, very close and an awesome deal at $799 (and especially the pre-sale $699)? Hell yeah!

Talked to Dan today and he called it a kind of gift back to the community (like Alex did with the Liquid Carbon). It's not purely altruistic, but it is in my view a great deal on a closed back HP. Well done Dan!

Cheers

Thanks. I much prefer the Ether C 1.1 (1 black pad) to the Flows. I'm guess they are similar, but warmer, as various reviews have already pointed out. It's probably not worth me selling my Ether C and getting a flow, but that's the question of the day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back