MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Jun 29, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #4,291 of 4,813
thanks!

I managed a 1-hour session with both the Ether and Ether-C at Jaben HK, Ether was instantly likable to me, too bad I "need" a closed headphone. To me at least, the ether C reminds me of the PM3 moreso than the Ether Open in many ways.

I didn't bring my mojo, so I was demming both with my x3 > cypher labs piccolo, perhaps that handicapped it as the C sounded somewhat "overdamped" (the same way a pair of modern bookshelf speakers might sound).

perhaps, the mojo would make it sound more "vivid"? The ether open however sounded very much to my liking... dammit! @.@

Jun 29, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #4,292 of 4,813
did you check what version is it? 1.0 or 1.1?

The 2x white felt used in the 1.0 version really kills the clarity the drivers are capable of in my opinion, the 1.1 version is better using only 1 felt and 1 foam (which is pretty got a taming peaks without killing clarity).

I however go even further with using only the 1.1 foam and tissue paper, which IMO improves clarity, speed, detail and stage even further.

Jun 29, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #4,293 of 4,813
did you check what version is it? 1.0 or 1.1?

The 2x white felt used in the 1.0 version really kills the clarity the drivers are capable of in my opinion, the 1.1 version is better using only 1 felt and 1 foam (which is pretty got a taming peaks without killing clarity).

I however go even further with using only the 1.1 foam and tissue paper, which IMO improves clarity, speed, detail and stage even further.

it only arrived to the shop around a month ago, so I assumed it was up to spec (i.e. 1.1)

Jun 29, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #4,294 of 4,813
any ether C owners who are not using EQ or bass boost and find the bass on the C enough as is? please also state musical preferences and amplification if poss...

thx

I don't use EQ I find my Ether C's bass to be perfect. I'm using the pad tuning just as I got them from Mr Speakers.

Mine were purchased new as V1.1

I tried the different pad tunings, 1 white on each or the 2 black pads each and just thought it veiled the treble and robbed too much detail away.

1.1's stock tuning is just perfect for me, so hat's off the Mr. Speakers for getting it just right "out of the box".

Amp I primarily use them on is the the Little Dot MK6+ with the factory upgraded caps.

Tube compliment on the MK6+ - 4x WE 5998/421 (Early 50s Pale Grey Plates), 2x Raytheon CK-5694s or 2x NU Sound X/tra 6N7Gs.

Using a Norne Zoetic Series Cable - 4 Pin XLR.

I sold my WA22 and greatly prefer the sound I'm getting with my upgrade LD MK6+ and the Norne cable.

My Ether also sounds great out of my Solid State amp but the prefer richness of a tube amp which compliments the Ether C's detail and more neutral sound well.

I primarily listen to EDM, Rock, Jazz.

Granted when I'm in the mood for a little more low end though when listening to Jazz and bassier EDM genres the Ether C is not the first headphone I reach for though.

But If it was the only headphone I had, I would be happy with it!

Jun 29, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #4,295 of 4,813
any ether C owners who are not using EQ or bass boost and find the bass on the C enough as is? please also state musical preferences and amplification if poss...

thx

I find its just enough for me, using a Chord Mojo to drive. It all depends though. Listening to electronic I'd like to have maybe 2-3db more bass but then again on some tracks it doesn't need it

Jul 4, 2016 at 7:27 AM Post #4,296 of 4,813
Just today, my Ether Cs started leaking sound a lot more than before. At volumes that others would have heard as a quiet muffle before, they could now clearly identify the song. There were others sitting several metres away who could still hear them.

Has this happened to anyone or any suggestions for a fix? I use them in the office so sound leak is a really bad thing for me.

Jul 4, 2016 at 7:35 AM Post #4,297 of 4,813
Just today, my Ether Cs started leaking sound a lot more than before. At volumes that others would have heard as a quiet muffle before, they could now clearly identify the song. There were others sitting several metres away who could still hear them.

Has this happened to anyone or any suggestions for a fix? I use them in the office so sound leak is a really bad thing for me.

How do the pads look and how long have you had them? Might be helpful if you shared a pic of the pads. Do you wear glasses? 

Jul 4, 2016 at 7:53 AM Post #4,298 of 4,813
How do the pads look and how long have you had them? Might be helpful if you shared a pic of the pads. Do you wear glasses? 

No glasses. Pads still looked mint when I inspected them. I've kept them at the office so won't be able to get a pic until tomorrow. I've had them for probably two months now; no conditions should have had changed.

Jul 4, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #4,300 of 4,813

The only factors that can change is how the headphones are being worn on your head, the fit over your ears, and possible pad rotation.

Jul 4, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #4,301 of 4,813
The only factors that can change is how the headphones are being worn on your head, the fit over your ears, and possible pad rotation.

Yes, fit or pad rotation or perhaps wearing the right side on your left...

Jul 4, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #4,302 of 4,813
Back at work, can confirm there's no damage to the pads. I've put the headphones both on my headphone stand and on my thighs. It leaks sound either way so don't think it's to do with how it's sealing on my head. I took the pads off again and put them back on and it isn't as bad as yesterday (you can definitely still make out what I'm listening to if you sit anywhere within a few metres though).

Jul 4, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #4,303 of 4,813
^^^^^

I've had the same experience. Almost returned them due to lack of isolation, etc. But they sound so good that I overlooked the issue and kept the cans.

Jul 5, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #4,304 of 4,813
There is no possible mode of failure that allows leakage to increase, except a cup falling off, which has never happened with a closed cup.

Pad rotation can increase leakage by breaking the seal. The isolation of the headphones increases with frequency and since we didn't use the muffliato charm they will leak as volume increases. In short excess leakage coming and going can only come from one thing, poor seal.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back