MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Jun 23, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #4,276 of 4,813
Honestly if you get a pair of zmf cowhide pads for the ether c, the bass response actually becomes quite suitable for edm, the the subwoofery subbass and extension you get from the pads, not to mention more texture and impact makes edm a joy to listen to.

Jun 23, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #4,277 of 4,813
You also get extra bass if you use Alpha Pads

Jun 23, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #4,278 of 4,813
The EtherC are good for Massive Attack but when you are used to cans with boosted bass you will notice the Cs aren't as thick in the mid bass. The sub bass still hits great. I just flip a bass boost or light eq if that is your thing but quickly find myself getting rid of it. On EDM it has a really nice punch and transparency that really pull you in such that you do not concentrate on the bass. Same with a crap pile of old acoustical music that never appealed to me in past. My tastes have typically been EDM , metal and female vocal. I've fell asleep to andrea bocelli last night and rediscovering old music that I just barely could enjoy yet drawn into it. For the last 15 years my typical cans have been er4s, HD580,klipsch x5, 7506 (lately qc25 have been my nighttime podcast and general purpose cans). Of recent, I've used the devil out of klipsch x20i (which I got of se846) and RHAt20i. The EtherC are amazing, I seriously expected a compromise because my wife fusses when she hears open cans and ditto for my stereo setup. Build quality is crazy good and wonder how people can call the HD800 build quality even close to that of the EtherC

Jun 24, 2016 at 7:58 AM Post #4,279 of 4,813
The EtherC are good for Massive Attack but when you are used to cans with boosted bass you will notice the Cs aren't as thick in the mid bass. The sub bass still hits great. I just flip a bass boost or light eq if that is your thing but quickly find myself getting rid of it. On EDM it has a really nice punch and transparency that really pull you in such that you do not concentrate on the bass. Same with a crap pile of old acoustical music that never appealed to me in past. My tastes have typically been EDM , metal and female vocal. I've fell asleep to andrea bocelli last night and rediscovering old music that I just barely could enjoy yet drawn into it. For the last 15 years my typical cans have been er4s, HD580,klipsch x5, 7506 (lately qc25 have been my nighttime podcast and general purpose cans). Of recent, I've used the devil out of klipsch x20i (which I got of se846) and RHAt20i. The EtherC are amazing, I seriously expected a compromise because my wife fusses when she hears open cans and ditto for my stereo setup. Build quality is crazy good and wonder how people can call the HD800 build quality even close to that of the EtherC

At the end of the day (and the beginning), it's about the enjoyment of the music. If the goosebumps aren't standing up on your arms, then you're not doing something right. Turn off the computer, sit in a nice comfortable chair, pour yourself a refreshing beverage of choice and forget about everything but the experience for an hour or so. 
wink.gif

Jun 24, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #4,280 of 4,813
That right! And outside of the convenience of portable electronics at the audiophile level in recent years, these are the first purchase post GAS habit I broke years ago after finding a setup that worked for that have really upped the game. Closed TOTL that can meet or exceed the rest of the playing field is a game changer. Often, open cans required me going to another room to enjoy them and at that point I might as well enjoy the stereo system. I fully expect active cancelation and active systems to soon be able to be even better at a lower consumer oriented price point and that will be sweet too!

Jun 24, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #4,281 of 4,813
In regards to what is *unbearably thin* for me, I suppose I draw the line with the Sony 7506 as well as beyerdynamic T1s...

I think I am more sensitive to midrange thinness than something being "bright" or "lean".

Is the C better balanced than the fostex th-500rp? or hd800s?

I had some head time with the ether O and I loved it, too bad it's open which is not what I'd need atm (LCD X and HD650 take care of that)

Jun 24, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #4,282 of 4,813

I think this is a good summation of the Ether C, particularly about the bass. The 150-200 hour burn-in thing is important to factor in when judging these headphones fully.

Jun 27, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #4,283 of 4,813
Just got my WyWires RED in. Build quality is top notch. The red sleeving, although a bit rigid, coils up nicely. The white sleeving is also on the rigid side but is nice to the touch and stays off the shoulders.

Will post listening impressions after I give them more time, but I can say they sound at least as good as the DUM and better than my all-copper Double Helix Nucleotide that I had custom made.

For me, the 5-foot length is perfect. Super fast shipping to CA by JerseyD aka Inner Sanctum Audio.

Jun 27, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #4,284 of 4,813
Just got my WyWires RED in. Build quality is top notch. The red sleeving, although a bit rigid, coils up nicely. The white sleeving is also on the rigid side but is nice to the touch and stays off the shoulders.

Will post listening impressions after I give them more time, but I can say they sound at least as good as the DUM and better than my all-copper Double Helix Nucleotide that I had custom made.

For me, the 5-foot length is perfect.

Don't they need 1000 hours of burn-in? :wink:

Jun 27, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #4,285 of 4,813
Jun 28, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #4,286 of 4,813

For me, the 5-foot length is perfect. Super fast shipping to CA by @JerseyD aka Inner Sanctum Audio.

Hi GFGamescape-
Thanks for the shout-out! Much appreciated.

That Red cable should continue to get better with more hours on it, according to Alex at WyWires. Of course the change will be more subtle than what you experienced with your Ether C as it burned in. Great combo!

Jun 28, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #4,287 of 4,813
Alex says to put 100 hours on the Red Cable to break it in. Worked for me.

Jun 29, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #4,289 of 4,813
any ether C owners who are not using EQ or bass boost and find the bass on the C enough as is? please also state musical preferences and amplification if poss...

thx

I do. I use it with an Oppo HA-1, balanced, my own cable. Mostly rock and pop from the 60' to now.

Jun 29, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #4,290 of 4,813
more than enough even for edm, but I do use zmf cowhide pads that bring out the bass and sub bass. 

Powered with a wa6 (psvane 422a replica and ge 6fd7s).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back