MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Feb 6, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #2,297 of 4,813
Damn, these are some addicting headphones. Still breaking in with trance, dubstep and other EDM on Jango. I put them on for just a little listen to see how they are doing and 2 hours later .................. Super light and comfortable like my HD600s and 702s.

Feb 6, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #2,298 of 4,813
Silly question, but I do have "elephantine" sized ears...How does the earcup diameter compare with the Audeze LCD cans?  Is the Ether C cup diameter larger, smaller, or the same?  If smaller, then may I ask by how much?  I can wear the LCD cans comfortably, but do the Ether C pads have the same amount of room for the ears (even if the cups were slightly smaller, the earpad opening might be larger)?
My rough measurements are 7.3cm (2.9 inches) bottom to top and 4.7cm (1.9 inches) front-to back (told you they were big
wink_face.gif
).

I'd appreciate any help.  This is really make or break for me, 'cause I really want a set of closed, planar headphones that sound great and don't weigh a ton! 
L3000.gif
 (and fit these d**n dumbo ears...) 
tongue.gif

Cheers and Thanks!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Feb 6, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #2,299 of 4,813
How to distinguish between dual entryand DUM cable. Also between older and newer version of DUM cable.

All DUM are dual entry, older cables had different mesh on the cable you could see the wires through, the newer have the soft black fabric on the whole cable...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 6, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #2,300 of 4,813
  Silly question, but I do have "elephantine" sized ears...How does the earcup diameter compare with the Audeze LCD cans?  Is the Ether C cup diameter larger, smaller, or the same?  If smaller, then may I ask by how much?  I can wear the LCD cans comfortably, but do the Ether C pads have the same amount of room for the ears (even if the cups were slightly smaller, the earpad opening might be larger)?
I'd appreciate any help.  This is really make or break for me, 'cause I really want a set of closed, planar headphones that sound great and don't weigh a ton! 
L3000.gif
 (and fit these d**n dumbo ears...) 
wink_face.gif

Cheers and Thanks!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

inner cup measurements:

Height: 6.2-6.5cm (my cups aren't identical, I guess)
Width: 4cm

Diagonal: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_theorem

Feb 6, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #2,301 of 4,813

inner cup measurements:

Thanks very much! 
L3000.gif

My rough measurements are 7.3cm (2.9 inches) bottom to top and 4.7cm (1.9 inches) front-to back (told you they were big
wink_face.gif
).  I might be able to stuff them in the opening...but with how much discomfort I wonder...
Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Feb 6, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #2,302 of 4,813
  inner cup measurements:

Diagonal: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_theorem

Thanks very much! 
L3000.gif

wink_face.gif
).  I might be able to stuff them in the opening...but with how much discomfort I wonder...
Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Dan,
Would it be possible to custom order earpads with a larger opening?  Would it radically affect the sound? 
popcorn.gif

Inquiring minds...
Cheers and All the Best!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Feb 6, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #2,303 of 4,813
What's the progress on the spoundblaster x7 and mic cable for the ether c? Still considering the ether c. I couldn't believe how real sounding the mid range was. Another thing that really blew my mind was the sub bass response. The ether c isn't the thickest or richest bass I've heard but what's amazing is how detailed the phone is down to the lowest frequency. I've heard songs a million times that I had no idea there was any information down there but with the ether c it was going off all the time like OMG!

Feb 6, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #2,304 of 4,813
^^ I would say yes, it would drastically effect the sound. Pad changes will nearly always make the sound better or worse, but always "different." I suggest sticking to the stock pads as Dan has a lot of blood, sweat and tears into the tuning of the headphones. 

But if the pads are just too small, I would recommend the Audeze leather pads. I've heard them on the Ether C and it didn't kill the sound. And they have larger openings. 

Feb 6, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #2,305 of 4,813
  ^^ I would say yes, it would drastically effect the sound. Pad changes will nearly always make the sound better or worse, but always "different." I suggest sticking to the stock pads as Dan has a lot of blood, sweat and tears into the tuning of the headphones. 

But if the pads are just too small, I would recommend the Audeze leather pads. I've heard them on the Ether C and it didn't kill the sound. And they have larger openings. 

You just made my day!  I obviously would want to keep Dan's pads on them and only use the Audeze pads if I absolutely couldn't fit.
I'm sure there's got to be some amount of give and stretch in Dan's earpads that should allow me wear them comfortably.  These aren't the first headphones that I would have had to fold my ears into...
biggrin.gif

Cheers and Thanks Very Much!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

P.S. - Thought about getting my ears bobbed...but that would affect the sound too! 
wink_face.gif

Feb 6, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #2,309 of 4,813
Thanks for the clarification. Are there lot of difference in the sound signature in between the old and the newer DUM cables?

None we could hear.  The internal copper, insulation and geometry of the cable were unchanged, those are the dominant factors that create the sound signature.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 6, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #2,310 of 4,813
I've committed a sacrilege. An act of reckless and careless abandon. I'm not sure what possessed me.

I plugged me Ether C straight into my iPhone 5S. Lightning did not strike me dead. No magic smoke escaped.

It sounds surprisingly not bad. It will get louder than I like to listen. It has decent bass weight. Details are present. It's not as good as my Dac19/Cavalli Liquid C's/ but is closer the you'd think.

So, not bad, no lightning strike, nothing burned. I do feel an unquenchable desire to bathe though…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back