MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Feb 8, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #2,327 of 4,813
I have a MicroZOTL2 and it's a great fit with either ETHER.  Fun little amp, super resolving yet not at all analytical.  I've rolled the stock Tung Sol tubes to some NOW NU 7N7s (6SN7 equivalent tube) and use this a lot.

OTL amps seem to be touch and go with planars (at least ours), some work well, some don't.  I haven't had the pleasure of hearing the Zana, so no comment on that one...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 8, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #2,328 of 4,813
  I'm starting to wonder if tube amps are a good driver for the Ether-C.  I've been breaking mine in with the Zana Deux S, and using the L impedance setting.  I think the headphones still have a ways to go in terms of opening up, but at this stage I am starting to feel the sound is a bit sterile...  lacking a bit of desired punch.  Maybe a bit "quiet" sounding.  I mean, there's plenty of volume out of the OTL ZDS (at 11 o'clock on the volume dial), so the phenomenon is a bit difficult to describe.  Still, they do a lot of things extremely well, and I'm going to keep the break in process going.  

But as I was considering the Micro ZOTL2 amp to drive these, now I'm starting to thing solid state might be the way to go.  Cinemags might make a big difference....

@mrspeakers voices with some tube amps... http://www.head-fi.org/t/777735/mrspeakers-ether-c-review-announcement-a-new-closed-back-planar-magnetic-flagship-from-mrspeakers/2040#post_12244782

I have some Cavalli amps into my stable.

Feb 8, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #2,330 of 4,813
I know the Ether's sound super out of Dan's WA5 ( with his upgraded tubes he was excited about Princess or something like that). I'm sure the C's would sound as good. That setup was some of the best audio I've ever heard.

Feb 8, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #2,331 of 4,813
  I know the Ether's sound super out of Dan's WA5 ( with his upgraded tubes he was excited about Princess or something like that). I'm sure the C's would sound as good. That setup was some of the best audio I've ever heard.

The Yggdrasil/WA5 setup he has is killer. I could live with that stack and never feel like upgrading. Okay that's a lie. Everyone knows the next gateway headphone drug are electrostats.

Feb 8, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #2,332 of 4,813

The Yggdrasil/WA5 setup he has is killer. I could live with that stack and never feel like upgrading. Okay that's a lie. Everyone knows the next gateway headphone drug are electrostats.

I heard this set up at RMAF. Quite possible the most expensive set up I've heard, and also pretty darned good. Room 8000.
Abyss cans 5k
WA234 amps 16k
Tubes 4K
Mytek Manhatten DAC 5k
JPS labs power cables 2k/ea times 2
JPS labs kaptivator power for DAC 1.2k
Mac 1.5k

Substitute the Ether for the Abyss and your done!

Feb 8, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #2,333 of 4,813
Who wants a free pair of "hospital grade" power cords???  I finally removed these out of my system and went back to generic 12 AWG cords...  what a relief!  Crazy that power cords make this much of a difference, actually.  And all of the sudden the Ether's sound more engaging.

Feb 8, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #2,334 of 4,813

Will find out at CanJam 
L3000.gif

Feb 10, 2016 at 8:43 PM Post #2,335 of 4,813
I'm excitedly awaiting the arrival of a lightly used Ether C from the classifieds :) the LCD-X have been my main cans, but I seem to have overestimated the feasibility of open headphones at work, and having already tried (and subsequently sold) the XC I am hoping these will be a good fit!

Will try to post some impressions next week after I've spent a few days with them.

Feb 10, 2016 at 8:52 PM Post #2,336 of 4,813
I'm excitedly awaiting the arrival of a lightly used Ether C from the classifieds
smily_headphones1.gif
the LCD-X have been my main cans, but I seem to have overestimated the feasibility of open headphones at work, and having already tried (and subsequently sold) the XC I am hoping these will be a good fit!

Will try to post some impressions next week after I've spent a few days with them.

I'm really starting to like these ETHER-C's now... more so that when they first arrived.  Word to the wise: don't change anything in your system at the same time you start auditioning new headphones...  no, not even POWER CORDS!   Lol.  Seriously, though.  
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back