MrSpeakers Electrostatic Prototype Listening Impressions
Jun 17, 2016 at 8:40 PM Post #46 of 937
Well I would certainly like to see both, headphones and amps, cover a broader set of options and price points. Stax is a mess, Koss has been all alone with one headphone/amp package and then the super pricey Senn and soon to be Hifiman. It does seem like Dan is making all the right moves here with a model that just might be competitive with the best of the best and not be 4k plus. Then there are a few amps that seem to get all the attention, BHSE or KGSSHV carbon, Cavalli Liquid Lightning 2... and those are all 4k plus.

There has to be room for better looking, better designed and higher performance estat headphones at 999, 1499, and 1999 price points... so maybe Mr. Speakers will get big enough to be able to invest in various efforts that bring great value at a variety of price points. But looking at both the new and used market, I think there are plenty of folks willing to drop 2-3k on some high end estat headphones but hesitate to do so if they only have a few 4-6k amps to choose from. If there were just 2 or 3 options in the 1-2k price range I think many more folks would give estats a try.

Jun 17, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #47 of 937
  There has to be room for better looking, better designed and higher performance estat headphones at 999, 1499, and 1999 price points... so maybe Mr. Speakers will get big enough to be able to invest in various efforts that bring great value at a variety of price points. But looking at both the new and used market, I think there are plenty of folks willing to drop 2-3k on some high end estat headphones but hesitate to do so if they only have a few 4-6k amps to choose from. If there were just 2 or 3 options in the 1-2k price range I think many more folks would give estats a try.

Agreed. Although the Ether E/Blue Hawaii/Yggdrasil combo may just have been the best sounding combo I have ever heard there's no denying it's quite expensive. More reasonably-priced amps (together with the Ether E) would open the market to more people.

So, amp makers, there's a business opportunity here! I've also seen that Woo Audio has an adapter that connects an electrostatic headphone to a regular speaker amp. This is also an interesting option. I wonder if such an adapter would work with a headphone amp? Or maybe more power is needed to drive an electrostatic headphone?

Jun 17, 2016 at 10:24 PM Post #48 of 937
But there are so many amps to choose from currently if you use the FS forum or go through a builder, I fail to see the actual business potential for a commercial offering that's barely better than what stax offers at 1.5x to 2x their cost.

For existing offerings, it does not appear that cavalli audio can do any better pricing (they are not competitive with stax prices for instance) while headamp can't follow up with demand at current offering (5kUSD+ product). As I recall, Justin is not interested in large / fully outsourced volume production so will be interesting to see if Dan managed to get that changed.

Arnaud

Jun 18, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #49 of 937
No disrespect intended to the many Stax fans, but I just don't get it and not interested in the many hours of study to understand what is great and what is crap in their line up. Model numbers for headphones, amps, and "systems" don't make sense, seems like once something is well regarded across a broad ranges of users it is discontinued, and major flaws in the higher end stuff... 

So which Stax amp is considered as good or better than a Cavalli Liquid Lightning 2 ?

Most of us don't want to go down the DIY route, or buy from individual builders or odd brands that have little to no traction in the market place. When I searched for conventional headphone amp options, there were many solid choices and many reputable brands. I don't know of anything that is well regarded under the 3k price point, and that is not really a criticism as why would someone make an electrostatic amp? It seems like the market was pretty much limited to Stax headphones, or roughly 95% of the market.

This is why I am glad Mr. Speakers is jumping in here, and excited that we are probably going to see something at or under 3K, or if not, at least close to it. The first step is an electrostatic headphone with reasonable quality control, support of parts, good design and performance, etc... and hopefully an evolution of models that doesn't spin out of control. Then maybe the amp market can evolve the same way. Heck, if Schiit made a version of the Mjolnir 2 that was for electrostats at a slightly higher price point, with one plug for a Stax connector and another for whatever Mr Speakers comes up with, that would be a fantastic start. I would grab a gumby to sit underneath it and be off to the races...

Jun 18, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #50 of 937
Our goal is to have several amps well under $3K from 3rd parties. By keeping prices lower and having some good options, we believe there's a chance for the electrostatic market to do something new; grow. It's a wonderful technology, and we've learned TONS doing this. If we can bring electrostatic clarity and fun to a new class of user we think it's a win for everyone.

One part of our plan is to put forward a new connector that's more modern, stylish, and actually obtainable than the proprietary and legacy Stax connector. Today, anyone trying to make a product has to make their own compatible plugs and jacks, which is silly, time consuming and expensive. We will do adapters to be compatible with other 580V gear that's out there, but the new connector should be a step up and will be available to all vendors. Our amp partners are on board with this to.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jun 18, 2016 at 10:15 PM Post #56 of 937
It would be great to see a surge in popularity for electrostats like planars saw a few years ago. I wonder how Stax will react to this new standard plug you are coming out with. They dominate the low end electrostatic market but there are a few things Stax is missing that could really make electrostats grow, like proper international distribution channels, and a more modern design for the lambda series.

Jun 18, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #57 of 937
One part of our plan is to put forward a new connector that's more modern, stylish, and actually obtainable than the proprietary and legacy Stax connector. Today, anyone trying to make a product has to make their own compatible plugs and jacks, which is silly, time consuming and expensive. We will do adapters to be compatible with other 580V gear that's out there, but the new connector should be a step up and will be available to all vendors. Our amp partners are on board with this to.

Care to tell us what is wrong with what is absolutely the gold standard legacy plug for electrostatic headphones? How is breaking compatibility with nearly every other electrostatic product ever produced going to help anyone besides your company who I suspect will be the supplier of the new plug?

Jun 18, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #58 of 937
My guess is that the Ether E requires a higher bias voltage and/or amp gain, hence developping specific connector for the new amps to come for it (e.g. To avoid anyone trying to A/B from same amp to fry his omega phones).

Otherwise, introducing a new plug makes no sense to me. It's not like the ether is designed for portable use so the stax plug is just fine in size for home amp imo.

Arnaud

Jun 18, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #59 of 937
  So which Stax amp is considered as good or better than a Cavalli Liquid Lightning 2 ?

Depending on who you talk to, any of them would be better than the LL2. The Stax 323s is a really good amp especially for the money and the 353x is essentially the same design plus balanced input so you really can't go wrong either way. If you're willing to go vintage the SRM-1 Mk2 is a wonderful little amp. I'm told it doesn't have the guts to drive the SR-007 to it's full potential, but It's been lovely with all of my electrostatic headphones.

My guess is that the Ether E requires a higher bias voltage and/or amp gain, hence developping specific connector for the new amps to come for it (e.g. To avoid anyone trying to A/B from same amp to fry his omega phones).

Otherwise, introducing a new plug makes no sense to me. It's not like the ether is designed for portable use so the stax plug is just fine in size for home amp imo.

Arnaud
Either that or it's an attempt at a cash grab. Or maybe it's just good old fashioned "can't leave well enough alone."

Jun 19, 2016 at 12:46 AM Post #60 of 937

Care to tell us what is wrong with what is absolutely the gold standard legacy plug for electrostatic headphones? How is breaking compatibility with nearly every other electrostatic product ever produced going to help anyone besides your company who I suspect will be the supplier of the new plug?

I believe they did say what was wrong about it.

That it is proprietary and people have to make custom solutions.

Now, there could also be other issues too... But I got the feeling that might be the core issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Back