MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
Sep 25, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #2,671 of 2,891
Oww! Would you care to describe the Meze in more depth?

I hate to spend time in a thread for one thing, and write too much about another. I posted a review this weekend though: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/meze-99-neo.22329/reviews

The 99's are wonderful for old-school rock and metal. "Master of Reality" was amazingly fine and lively. But moving to one of the best albums I've ever heard, Insomniums "Winter's Gate", the 99's couldn't really convey the technical wizardry and details of the album.

The Primes deliver the total experience in every way!

Sep 27, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #2,673 of 2,891
Its surprising how much the Prime changes in its first several hours of use. Just got my second set of alpha primes (not used) earlier today and right out of the box I found them a bit bass-lite (unlike my original set). After 6+ hours of testing and leaving them to play unattended and checking them again, the bass definitely has more presence. I'm excited to see how much more they improve as they are approaching evermore the sound of my original set that I loved.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2017 at 9:31 PM Post #2,674 of 2,891
Interesting information, thanks!

Sep 27, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #2,675 of 2,891
Its surprising how much the Prime changes in its first several hours of use. Just got my second set of alpha primes (not used) earlier today and right out of the box I found them a bit bass-lite (unlike my original set). After 6+ hours of testing and leaving them to play unattended and checking them again, the bass definitely has more presence. I'm excited to see how much more they improve as they are approaching evermore the sound of my original set that I loved.
Was thinking also of getting another set of Prime. But why did you do that?

Sep 27, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #2,676 of 2,891
Was thinking also of getting another set of Prime. But why did you do that?
I sold my original primes because I wanted to try the zmf Ori. Several months later, I realized that the Prime compliments the Ori very well and wanted to own both. Definitely no regrets in owning both headphones.

Sep 27, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #2,677 of 2,891
I sold my original primes because I wanted to try the zmf Ori. Several months later, I realized that the Prime compliments the Ori very well and wanted to own both. Definitely no regrets in owning both headphones.
Wowowowowo....tell me more !!!!!!
I am actually right now contemplating the Ori.
So you have both?! Please comparaison!
Do the Ori isolate as well?
Etc etc...waiting for impressions!!!

Sep 27, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #2,678 of 2,891
I feel they both isolate the same, the only closed headphone that exceeds them for that is the Aeon I tried out briefly. The Ori is a bit difficult to characterize unless you compare it against something else (like the Prime) that is similar in price, design, etc. I do have some impressions of both of them in my profile page, but not a truly direct comparison. I could type up an official comparison, but wont be able to divulge until later in the week or weekend.

Right off the bat, I can definitely say that the Ori and Prime are high quality across the board when it comes to sound, but in almost every category they are quite different.

Lets do a pros and cons to start:

Alpha Prime

Pros: Accuracy of bass, fast and detailed sound, clarity, holographic and wide soundstage.
Cons: Poorly recorded tracks can sound a bit messy, midrange is a touch on the cold/bright side.

Ori

Pros: Full and powerful bass (and sub-bass), never sibilant, plays well at higher volumes.
Cons: Can sound too warm/thick at times (rarely), soundstage is wide but is less holographic and more ''ordinary headphone'', dialed back highs that ''seem'' to mask detail occasionally.

Thats all I got for now, but I find these two headphones are very different despite using the same type of driver.

Edit: I forgot to add that the Ori takes some brain adjustment if you're coming from something leaner like the Prime. You'll put them on and think ''man this is too bassy!'', but once you get used to it, you will learn to appreciate their impact and easygoing nature.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2017 at 11:21 PM Post #2,679 of 2,891
I feel they both isolate the same, the only closed headphone that exceeds them for that is the Aeon I tried out briefly. The Ori is a bit difficult to characterize unless you compare it against something else (like the Prime) that is similar in price, design, etc. I do have some impressions of both of them in my profile page, but not a truly direct comparison. I could type up an official comparison, but wont be able to divulge until later in the week or weekend.

Right off the bat, I can definitely say that the Ori and Prime are high quality across the board when it comes to sound, but in almost every category they are quite different.

Lets do a pros and cons to start:

Alpha Prime

Pros: Accuracy of bass, fast and detailed sound, clarity, holographic and wide soundstage.
Cons: Poorly recorded tracks can sound a bit messy, midrange is a touch on the cold/bright side.

Ori

Pros: Full and powerful bass (and sub-bass), never sibilant, plays well at higher volumes.
Cons: Can sound too warm/thick at times (rarely), soundstage is wide but is less holographic and more ''ordinary headphone'', dialed back highs that ''seem'' to mask detail occasionally.

Thats all I got for now, but I find these two headphones are very different despite using the same type of driver.

Edit: I forgot to add that the Ori takes some brain adjustment if you're coming from something leaner like the Prime. You'll put them on and think ''man this is too bassy!'', but once you get used to it, you will learn to appreciate their impact and easygoing nature.
Very very interesting I thank you a lot !!!
Am I crazy thinking of the Nighthawk (that I enjoy actually) while you described the Ori?

Sep 27, 2017 at 11:28 PM Post #2,680 of 2,891
Very very interesting I thank you a lot !!!
Am I crazy thinking of the Nighthawk (that I enjoy actually) while you described the Ori?

I tried the Nighthawk as well, back in January. I feel the Nighthawk lacked impact, but yeah they were very similar in signature to the Ori. Also tried out the LCD-X and Ether C Flow during that period, but neither gelled enough with me to want to own them. Not sure why, but T50 mods just hit all the right notes for me.

Sep 28, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #2,681 of 2,891
I tried the Nighthawk as well, back in January. I feel the Nighthawk lacked impact, but yeah they were very similar in signature to the Ori. Also tried out the LCD-X and Ether C Flow during that period, but neither gelled enough with me to want to own them. Not sure why, but T50 mods just hit all the right notes for me.
Again, very interesting.
Actually, I even enjoy very much the T40rp as it is, with Alpha pads.
Not a Prime of course, but still relevant for the price !

Oct 5, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #2,682 of 2,891
Hi folks!
I have been enjoying Alpha Primes for some two months now and knocked down by them! And thus so, not after the nonsense cans, namely I still have LCD2.2s, Beyerdynamic T1's, AKG Q701's and Meze Classic 99. Absolutely all went down after this hideous trade when I acquired AP's. However, still trying to get the best out of them. The best match so far: Cayin C5! How can this be possible? Liquid Carbon, Hugo, Audeze Deckard, Mojo, and couple of larger monsters failed! What to try here, that can sit on a desktop without being pulled and moved by a mere cable of AP's :)? I'm puzzled!

Oct 5, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #2,683 of 2,891
Hi folks!
I have been enjoying Alpha Primes for some two months now and knocked down by them! And thus so, not after the nonsense cans, namely I still have LCD2.2s, Beyerdynamic T1's, AKG Q701's and Meze Classic 99. Absolutely all went down after this hideous trade when I acquired AP's. However, still trying to get the best out of them. The best match so far: Cayin C5! How can this be possible? Liquid Carbon, Hugo, Audeze Deckard, Mojo, and couple of larger monsters failed! What to try here, that can sit on a desktop without being pulled and moved by a mere cable of AP's :)? I'm puzzled!
Can you rewrite your comment in fully understandable wording ?

Oct 5, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #2,684 of 2,891
Hi folks!

Are you use the balanced out of your Liquid Carbon? I think it's an amazing amp for the Primes. Also, what is your DAC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back