MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
Sep 7, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #2,431 of 2,891
  My Primes didnt come with any extra tuning dots either and I bought them directly from Mr Speakers. I believe the Alpha Dogs were more user-tunabe but the Primes were more of a crafted experience from Dan. They even recommend not attempting to tweek the bass port on the Primes like used to be able to on the Alpha Dogs. Either way I love the sound signature and wouldnt change anything about it. I'm actually on an impossible quest to find a CIEM/UIEM with this exact signature.

Thanks for the input. The used ones I bought had two dots on each side. I am going to experiment a bit...

Sep 7, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #2,432 of 2,891
  I believe the headband is adjustable. I remember watching a video of Dan  bending the headband backwards to change the clamp force (lol sounds like something a jedi crab would use) on youtube

I will look for that Youtube howto...

Thanks.

Sep 7, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #2,433 of 2,891
  Alpha Prime question. I just bought a nearly new pair of Primes. I know that the Primes come with "Doggie treats" that allow tweaking of the sound. 

After watching the MrSpeakers YouTube video I decided to take off the ear pads and look inside. I noticed that there were already two pads in place on each driver.

Does anyone know if the Primes come this way stock or do you think the previous owner placed them there?

I am asking because I want to get an idea of what they really sound like stock.

Hey, my new pair of primes also had 2 "dots" at the bottom.
After a bit of experimentation and ripping a chunk of leather off one of the pads by mistake in the process, I settled on no dots and 1 pad.
IMHO this config really bumped up the detail and dynamism of the sound, compared to stock.
Totes recommended!

Sep 7, 2016 at 4:27 PM Post #2,434 of 2,891
Hey Alpha fans and modders, we're going to put up the required information for DIY Alpha Dogs once we finish the legal mumbo-jumbo to ensure people are using this for personal and not commercial use.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Sep 7, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #2,436 of 2,891
  Hey Alpha fans and modders, we're going to put up the required information for DIY Alpha Dogs once we finish the legal mumbo-jumbo to ensure people are using this for personal and not commercial use.  

The DIY info would be great but it would also be nice to be able to purchase the 3D printed cups for said mod if you have plenty available. I have an extra set of T50RP's laying around that I do not use much since I now have Alpha Primes so any improvement would be outstanding!

Sep 7, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #2,437 of 2,891
  The DIY info would be great but it would also be nice to be able to purchase the 3D printed cups for said mod if you have plenty available. I have an extra set of T50RP's laying around that I do not use much since I now have Alpha Primes so any improvement would be outstanding!

Shapeways.com is a great resource for getting 3D parts printed.

Sep 7, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #2,438 of 2,891
Sounds good

Sep 7, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #2,439 of 2,891

What an utterly unselfish thing to do. Nicely done, guys.

Sep 25, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #2,440 of 2,891
I am currently listening to a binaural recording of Amber Rubarth (Sessions from the 17th Ward) 24/192k though a balanced amp into the Alpha Primes while I own a lot of music, the primes make this incredible album come to life. I built a half dozen cables for them but settled on a favorite so I am set for a while.

Sep 27, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #2,441 of 2,891

I have tried several cables with the primes and my favorites are balanced cables made with Mogami wire as well as some OCC cables I hand made. I can help with sources and wiring instructions if you decide to go that way. I have also built equivalents to dum cables using three different brands of star quad and that is a pretty easy way to go and DIY on that kind of cable could be $50 or less. If you want some help on that we can probably move this discussion to a DIY thread unless others have an interest in talking about it here.

on a side note
My son works in DC and i should be sending him some cables soon for his primes, it was the first place where I heard the headphones about a year and a half ago.

Just a plug for Cables for Less. I worked with Tom(Paladin79) through his company and they made me a new cable with silver plated OFC copper wire covered with paracord and braided . Looks nice and is much cleaner sounding that my stock cables. Cleared up what I would call a bit of stuffiness in my Primes. Cables for Less was very responsive and easy to work with.

Sep 28, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #2,442 of 2,891

Just a plug for Cables for Less. I worked with Tom(Paladin79) through his company and they made me a new cable with silver plated OFC copper wire covered with paracord and braided . Looks nice and is much cleaner sounding that my stock cables. Cleared up what I would call a bit of stuffiness in my Primes. Cables for Less was very responsive and easy to work with.

You are most kind Mourip and I was happy to help out. Headphone cables are a welcome diversion from some of my other duties and it is always a pleasure to work with knowledgeable people such as yourself.

Sep 28, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #2,443 of 2,891
Hi. Ive managed to get my hands on a second hand pair of primes. Unfortunately i dont have a dac/amp at the moment to pair with the prime so looking for recommendations from people in the know.:)

Budget is 300-400 usd
Source is PC via USB
Music Genres all but have a keen interest in contemporary renditions of classical music. That said i love to enjoy bass tracks from time to time.

I would prefer a solid state over a tube.

Sep 28, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #2,444 of 2,891
Hi. Ive managed to get my hands on a second hand pair of primes. Unfortunately i dont have a dac/amp at the moment to pair with the prime so looking for recommendations from people in the know.
smily_headphones1.gif

Budget is 300-400 usd
Source is PC via USB
Music Genres all but have a keen interest in contemporary renditions of classical music. That said i love to enjoy bass tracks from time to time.

I would prefer a solid state over a tube.

I grabbed a Teac UD-301 off of Ebay new in box for around $300. I have had good luck with it, it does DSD as well as up to 24/192k. It has balanced and non-balanced outputs and you can listen to just headphones, or listen to headphones and speakers at the same time the way the switches work. Solid state, very versatile. I run it into a Valhalla 2 and can have headphones plugged into each and switch back and forth. It will easily drive the Primes and I listen to them in balanced mode all the time. I can leave a balanced cable plugged in, use that, or plug headphones in the front and listen that way if I wish. I listen to quite a few genres and have no complaints with any of them through that DAC/Amp. In my photo it is on the left, then I have a switchbox and Valhalla 2. I alternate between solid state and tubes, I like choices and the Teac is well suited for how I listen.

Sep 28, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #2,445 of 2,891
I grabbed a Teac UD-301 off of Ebay new in box for around $300. I have had good luck with it, it does DSD as well as up to 24/192k. It has balanced and non-balanced outputs and you can listen to just headphones, or listen to headphones and speakers at the same time the way the switches work. Solid state, very versatile. I run it into a Valhalla 2 and can have headphones plugged into each and switch back and forth. It will easily drive the Primes and I listen to them in balanced mode all the time. I can leave a balanced cable plugged in, use that, or plug headphones in the front and listen that way if I wish. I listen to quite a few genres and have no complaints with any of them through that DAC/Amp. In my photo it is on the left, then I have a switchbox and Valhalla 2. I alternate between solid state and tubes, I like choices and the Teac is well suited for how I listen.

Thanks for the reply. Would you say the Teac on its own compares favourably in quality to the teac/Valhalla combo? Have you any experience of the Fostex Hp A4/A3 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back