MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
Mar 13, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #2,056 of 2,891
Any one know how these compare to el8c, pm3, lcd xc? Looking for good closed sound with good balance? I don't want airy sound. I don't like open cans

I don't have experience with the three cans you mentioned, but IMO, the AP do not sound open or airy, at least compared to actual open cans. They sound very detailed throughout frequency range, so yes, it's quite balanced. Bass hits hard and clean. And guess what? I have a pair for sale!

Mar 15, 2016 at 2:05 AM Post #2,057 of 2,891
  Does anybody has a recommendation for a headphone stand for the APs but I am looking for something where I don't have to re-adjust the length.  I don't like the Mr. Speaker Stand because I need to readjust the headphones all the time. 

I went the ZeosPantera route and use 10" Foam Yoga blocks. buy 2 for 10 dollars!

Mar 20, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #2,058 of 2,891
Got my Alpha Dogs a few days ago and they seem to lack a quite a bit of presence.
Very dull and boring and even muddy sounding to me.

~3dB at ~2khz with a ~0.400Q value seems to sound what I concider "perfect" Everything just comes to life.
Sounds more like HD 600's but WAY. better. 

But without that EQ I prefer my 600's a lot more, so its just about that ~2khz region that ruins them for me :/

Has anyone heard both and does the Alpha Primes fix that?
Like do they have that amount more mid presence?

Mar 20, 2016 at 11:42 PM Post #2,059 of 2,891
  Got my Alpha Dogs a few days ago and they seem to lack a quite a bit of presence.

~3dB at ~2khz with a ~0.400Q value seems to sound what I concider "perfect" Everything just comes to life.

But without that EQ I prefer my 600's a lot more, so its just about that ~2khz region that ruins them for me :/

The Primes IMO are better in every regard. Much more detail.

Mar 21, 2016 at 12:19 AM Post #2,060 of 2,891

Did you buy them used? The muddiness might be attributed to heavy use of the bass screws on the top side of the cups; requires a hex screw to get at. If tuning dots and doggie treats (felt discs) are installed, try adding/subtracting/moving them around to get the sound you like before paying nearly twice as much on the primes as a solution.

Mar 21, 2016 at 12:31 AM Post #2,061 of 2,891
Just got them new. Tried to turn the screws to almost close the vent fully and every setting between, but it seemed to mostly only affect
the bass. Got it closer to what I like (less bass, more mids) but still that lack of presence is so annoying. The bass is there, The highs are amazing too with one dot on each side placed on the middle of the edge. Tried almost every dot placement / combo but that was the best sounding to me.

Literally if the Primes have that "3D soundstage" and IF they have more kind of "engaging" sound (trying to use other words than presence lol) I wouldn't mind paying for it.

Mar 21, 2016 at 12:53 AM Post #2,062 of 2,891
Binurial? Yeah, Primes have much better total 3d placement of instruments because of its angled drivers i think. Primes are way more present in its highs, but the tuning dots can definitely mend those annoying peaks. If i remember correctly, both have this uncanny to reveal recording errors, therefore ruining your music. So realistically the 300 dollars you save could buy you food for a few weeks, a dac/amp like a good one, or a whole nother set of good headphones. I did listen to both at one point, far between eachother albiet, so i dont remember how much better the Primes were. All i know, is that recording errors are noticeable, they sound open as hell for closed, and i am buying the Alpha Dogs next week.

Mar 21, 2016 at 1:06 AM Post #2,063 of 2,891
Hmm, well yeah these sure are revealing there's no question about that. The detail / transparency / speed are just incredible.
The soundstage on these is wide and precise, but its so weird because it doesnt sound like a standard soundstage at all where
you would have a clear stage in front of you. I haven't found the perfect words to describe it yet haha.

Glad you liked them :) Aren't Alpha Dogs now out of stock though?

Mar 21, 2016 at 1:19 AM Post #2,064 of 2,891
  Hmm, well yeah these sure are revealing there's no question about that. The detail / transparency / speed are just incredible.
The soundstage on these is wide and precise, but its so weird because it doesnt sound like a standard soundstage at all where
you would have a clear stage in front of you. I haven't found the perfect words to describe it yet haha.

Glad you liked them :) Aren't Alpha Dogs now out of stock though?

im buying them used from a dude in the US

Mar 23, 2016 at 11:06 PM Post #2,066 of 2,891
I got my Primes today, I'm the headphones' third owner (closed cans seem not to be a fit for everyone) which is great in my book for 1) saves me $ and 2) I don't get to burn them
L3000.gif
 Here are my first impressions (and yes, I'm impressed). After few hours of listen I think I'll be the last owner - there is no cutting corners here, these headphones kick ***** big time and this is the bottom line. I'm mighty impressed by what Dan did here, hats off!

Never listened to any of the Dogs, so I can't compare how much better Primes are. Headphones that I owned at one time or another and are worth mentioning: pretty much all 500 and all 600 series Senns, Grado SR325 and RS1e, AKG K712, presently K7XX and TH-XX0 - the Primes are clearly a step above all of them, imho. This is my opinion, keep that in mind; it is how my ears hear it, not a statement of accuracy.

The Primes are revealing, a point that has been made many times here. Yes, they are. But it is because of the extreme detail they provide, and I do mean extreme, not because they have highs out of control. You will hear with clarity everything that sucks on a patchy, not-so-good or plain badly produced recording. That is all there is, you'll simply hear what's in the signal. The highs are not harsh, they just reflect what's been passed thru. If you feed them quality signal, and even better, a quality recording, you get rewarded big, big time. And I mean BIG!

A point that has also been raised about the Primes is their lows - seems some people expected harder hitting bass. To me they are balanced and that's it, they just reflect the recording - if there's bass to be reproduced, their lows protrude as good as any I've heard. No, I take that back - they reproduce lows better. I loved the sound of my Grado RS1e, they along with K7XX and the Fostex have lows that at first may seem a notch better than the Prime's. But, when pushed to the limit they all struggle to reproduce accurately and without distortion really, really low frequencies. For ex. few tracks from Holy Cole's 'Temptation' album push some unreal low acoustic bass that can put in trouble many audio systems. The Primes have no trouble whatsoever reproducing those, and they do it with ease and detail to the bass - the bass rumbles, I hear the strings' natural vibrations crystal clear, layering and morphing the way only a good acoustic instrument can do, no smear no booming, just clean natural sound.

So in regards to bass, I think there's no denying that if the recording doesn't have 'good' lows in it, the Primes won't exaggerate the bass and the end result may appear underwhelming to bass-heads. To me the remedy is EQ compensation if indeed so desired (like good cuisine, I think recordings more often than not are best to listen to as they were meant to be - as recorded, produced and mixed). The Primes can not only punch low, very very low, but doing it cleanly and with great details, and they also react fabulously to EQ-ing so try that if bass seems on the low side for a particular recording.

Overall impression - very, very detailed. Total opposite to the wall-of-sound type of headphones, Primes give you just about every musical detail with a distinct separation. Fast driver, now I know what fast driver means (I'm sure there are faster, the V-planar is nonetheless faaast). I can hear the sound of every instrument, cleanly separated, which can be an eye-opening for some genres, like metal genres - for ex it makes early Metallica sound more like prog metal than thrash, hmmm....like being in the studio. That's it, like you're there in the studio during the recording. I can see how some hard rock/metal fans may find them not 'rocking hard/heavy enough', and if so I'd say: go ahead and pump up the volume.

Speaking of the detailed presentation, this level of clarity is a big, BIG + in my book. The impact on music where every instrument was meant to be heard distinctly separate, well that is pure enjoyment. And the soundstage, it is big. Not for closed cans only, it is simply big, period, no ifs and no buts. This must be the biggest surprise for first-time listeners, there's in no 'closed can' sound to be found here. 'Closed can' feel yes, they are closed alright, but they don't sound 'closed'. And yes, they are comfortable, very much so, I think I can spend half a day with them without a blink, already did actually. Not fatiguing too, though this can also be a whole system symptom.

Thinking of some negatives, nothing really. Ok, the stand could have been taller, looks, hmmm, not exactly calling out to be seen (but hey, I prefer high quality wrapped in understated anyway). So let's wrap it - definitely a keeper! One of the best purchases (read steps) in my personal journey to sound nirvana (it is the journey, not the destination :).

All my impressions so far were accumulated while listening thru the unbalanced output. I have not heard them thru the balanced for I don't have the cable - will make me one in a week or so and report back. Actually I have the cable, I need to receive the connectors. Speaking of which, I like them though they are sooo not standard. But Dan sells them at excellent price for us diy-ers, much appreciated. 

Oh, one more thing - someone asked if Grace m9XX can drive them - yes, at about 80 volume the headphones are loud and at 99 (max) is like being at a rock concert. And this is with preamp gain of 0, so there's more juice to be pumped thru there if so needed.

Mar 24, 2016 at 12:14 AM Post #2,068 of 2,891
I don't know how much better are the Primes than the Dogs, from what I heard and read they are quite a bit better, noticeably. Does the difference in sound quality justify the difference in price? This is an individual decision. All I can say is, after I've been listening to them for 6 hours almost non-stop, and they've been fully burnt in - they are worth the 799 sticker price that is right now on MrSpeakers website. My opinion, and I realize this is not a change, but these cans deliver the goods that honestly, I did not think exist. Which now makes me wonder, what the heck is the story with Ether and other headphones from the next level...oh well, we'll get there when we get there.

BTW, another point I wanted to touch upon, the 'diminishing returns' notion that the difference between this level and the next level is only so much, may not be worth spending the extra (which may as well be double) money. That again depends on the beholder's ears, to me the difference is not just 'only so much', there is quite a bit of it and to some ears it may be startling. In summary, if there's an opportunity to get in for less and you've done the research to back the decision, jump on it. Else, go to showroom and make your mind whether to save for it or not. I think Primes are worth their price. 

And one last, but very important thing - as all high-quality headphones, they need a good system, really good, and a good source material to shine. If you can't provide them with fitting home, don't go there as you might be disappointed - there is not much of a substance in mp3 rips and even many CDs, funneled thru an average (an d often below-average) setup to make them sing, and that is the blunt truth - like speakers, headphones are the most important link in the chain but they only reflect the end signal.

Mar 24, 2016 at 1:27 AM Post #2,069 of 2,891

I'd like to see Dan hook up with Massdrop and develope a set of killer hp's in the $400-$600 range for us that are on a stricter budget. Look at the Fostex TH-XOO, Massdrop has sold about 4000 of those with more than 2000 people signed up for the next drop.

Mar 24, 2016 at 7:01 AM Post #2,070 of 2,891
Close to 4,000 people & I am one of those happy Th-x00 owners. Yeah, it would be great to see such a collaboration, though, I read posts here from someone who knows Dan guessing that MrSpeakers may be selling their headphones on very thin profit margin (which could be as they literally make each by hand) and if that's the case, I don't see where the price drop will come.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back