MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
Feb 28, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #1,217 of 2,891
Mar 1, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #1,218 of 2,891
I know this is off topic but I heard Audeze was robbed last night and 250,000 dollars of merchandise was taken. I hope the kind folk at MrSpeakers are extra diligent, when leaving the office. I do not own Audeze, just upset, I hate thieves. I must go crash, feeling loopy again.

It makes me sick hearing about the theft and I can only imagine how they feel. 

It's always a risk with a business that makes consumer products, but for small companies like Audeze or really small companies like ours, it's a terrifying prospect.  My only hope is that a) they have insurance and b) the thief can't dispose of the product because it's very easy to identify and it's a small market, and so they get caught.  I'm sure all of Head-fi will be watching for "too god to be true" deals. 

Our best-wishes to the whole Audeze team as they deal with this.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 1, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #1,219 of 2,891
It makes me sick hearing about the theft and I can only imagine how they feel. 

It's always a risk with a business that makes consumer products, but for small companies like Audeze or really small companies like ours, it's a terrifying prospect.  My only hope is that a) they have insurance and b) the thief can't dispose of the product because it's very easy to identify and it's a small market, and so they get caught.  I'm sure all of Head-fi will be watching for "too god to be true" deals. 

Our best-wishes to the whole Audeze team as they deal with this.

+1 Well said sir.

Mar 11, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #1,221 of 2,891
Is there any word on upgrades?  Going to CanJam in Costa Mesa and would be awesome to be able to drop them off and get em upgraded (Not on site obviously).  Maybe Mr. Speaker can offer this??
o2smile.gif

Mar 11, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #1,222 of 2,891
  Is there any word on upgrades?  Going to CanJam in Costa Mesa and would be awesome to be able to drop them off and get em upgraded (Not on site obviously).  Maybe Mr. Speaker can offer this??
o2smile.gif

IIRC, upgrades are no longer a viable option given the incredibly high rate at which upgrades failed and damaged the drivers instead. Someone correct me if I'm wrong

Mar 14, 2015 at 4:12 AM Post #1,224 of 2,891
I received a new toy today.SR71B(used,bought from a Swedish Head-Fier).With a balanced solid silver cable from ebay's ela_audio(sorry,cant tell anything about how it sound,I can't really hear any change).Initial,immediate impression of this combo is,I'm afraid I am not audiophile enough for this level of playing field (and that could well be a blessing in disguise for my wallet
bigsmile_face.gif
).TBH,i cant even really tell a difference between Flac 24/192 and 320.I might have maxed my 'critical-listening-ability' when i upgrade from Final Audio Design Pandora Hope VI to THE Prime.I have it powered by Cayin C5,iFI iDSD micro (dac/amp on PCM and amp only on all modes)PA2v2,Just Audio AHA120 and the RSA so far,and I can safely say i can live with how the Prime sound straight out of DX90's HO (Low gain,volume around 240/255).The heavyweight is called in just to confirm my suspicion that I am out of my league with this thing.A big plus point is I can wear it for over 6 hours straight,I don't know where those 440g hide.The deep earpad is a big plus for someone with ears sticking out.With Pico Power only a few days away,my journey is coming close to an end now.

Mar 14, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #1,225 of 2,891
  I received a new toy today.SR71B(used,bought from a Swedish Head-Fier).With a balanced solid silver cable from ebay's ela_audio(sorry,cant tell anything about how it sound,I can't really hear any change).Initial,immediate impression of this combo is,I'm afraid I am not audiophile enough for this level of playing field (and that could well be a blessing in disguise for my wallet
bigsmile_face.gif
).TBH,i cant even really tell a difference between Flac 24/192 and 320.I might have maxed my 'critical-listening-ability' when i upgrade from Final Audio Design Pandora Hope VI to THE Prime.I have it powered by Cayin C5,iFI iDSD micro (dac/amp on PCM and amp only on all modes)PA2v2,Just Audio AHA120 and the RSA so far,and I can safely say i can live with how the Prime sound straight out of DX90's HO (Low gain,volume around 240/255).The heavyweight is called in just to confirm my suspicion that I am out of my league with this thing.A big plus point is I can wear it for over 6 hours straight,I don't know where those 440g hide.The deep earpad is a big plus for someone with ears sticking out.With Pico Power only a few days away,my journey is coming close to an end now.

Wow very nice to see you are much satisfied. I also take it you read a lot on the Head-fi forums because the Cayin C5 and iFi iDSD micro are very popular and would seem like an excellent match for power hungry Alphas. If you ever go to a meet and compare it with the other big boys (Stax, Audeze, HD800) you will be very pleasantly surprised that they can hold their own and then some (maybe taking the cake in tonality and musicality and overall balance)

Mar 16, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #1,226 of 2,891
After further listening with the SR71B+solid silver cables,I think I can detect some 'brightness' thats not present before when the same cable was used (with adapter) straight out of DX90.Also noticed is the height and width of the soundstage and a better details retrieval.There is more 'tiny little sound' coming from i-don't-know-where.The brightness also make me curious if I can tame it with a copper or hybrid cable.Maybe i can extend my 'journey' a little longer with that. 

Mar 16, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #1,227 of 2,891
  After further listening with the SR71B+solid silver cables,I think I can detect some 'brightness' thats not present before when the same cable was used (with adapter) straight out of DX90.Also noticed is the height and width of the soundstage and a better details retrieval.There is more 'tiny little sound' coming from i-don't-know-where.The brightness also make me curious if I can tame it with a copper or hybrid cable.Maybe i can extend my 'journey' a little longer with that. 

RSA house sound is normally neutral or even a little warm for a solid state. I would go with a OCC Copper cable.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Mar 17, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #1,229 of 2,891
  That's correct.  We aren't able to do upgrades to Prime (we wish we could).

Please forgive what may be a dumb/obvious question...

My first truly "hi fi" headphone was/is the Alpha Dog which I acquired a couple months before the Prime was announced. I'm enjoying the AD but would definitely be upgrading if it were an option. And I would be willing to pay considerably more for the upgrade than the difference between the retail price for the AD and the Prime. I suppose the issue here is that you cannot buy the drivers from Fostex on their own and that you have to acquire the full headphone?  Otherwise, I'm sure most AD owners would have no issue paying an extra $50 above and beyond the $400 difference in the retail price between the AD and the AP for an upgrade as the driver would cost far less than $50. Heck, the TRP retails in the range of $125 US anyway so an additional "donor" headphone would be $100 wholesale? I'd pay $500 for the upgrade.

Having said all this, part of the reason I chose the AD was because I had read about Mr. Speakers' great upgrading policy and just assumed that I'd be able to upgrade like others have in the past. Ultimately I can still sell my used AD's so all is not lost.  

Mar 17, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #1,230 of 2,891
Hello
Will alpha prime be good for rock and metal genre ? I listen to bands like -Kingston Wall , Anathema , Wintersun , Ensiferum , Norther , lunatic soul , Jorn Lande ... Etc- a lot ,

I tried fostex th900 and didn't like the sound , will these be better for those genres?

I don't know much about headphone amps , will I need to buy one and if so which portable amp /dac is good match with alpha prime

Users who are viewing this thread

Back